ombre love

Sometimes when a trend or style really clicks with me, I’m like a dog with a bone and won’t let it go. Right now, ombré is my weakness, and I find myself saying on a regular basis, “Could we just have it, you know, fade from light to dark, sort ombré-style?” I know I need to let it go, but when I see benches like this, I immediately think of all the things I’d like to attempt to spray paint the same way.

This bench from Anthropologie has been lacquered with an ombré finish, but the first thing I thought when I saw it was thrift store paint project! I’m definitely going to try to find a similar chair this week and mimic the look. I’m sure it’s significantly more difficult than I think, but I’m going to see what I can do with my own two hands. If you’ve got $1500 burning a hole in your pocket, you can pick up this gorgeous blue bench right here. If not, I’ll keep you up to date on my ombré experiment . . . xo, grace

1. Bronwen says:

Oh gosh, I’ve been admiring that bench for some time now and wondering whether I could achieve that look. Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

2. Allie says:

Adorable! I love that shade of blue!

3. Ridiculous says:

I work at Anthro…and know for a fact that the furniture is just not worth it. Customers are constantly asking for prices on Furniture pieces and then wincing in pain at the thought of buying a retro inspired love seat for $3,000. Taking on a project like painting furniture or building your own fixtures is not only satisfying but will save you countless quantities of money.

4. Rachel Tatem says:

That’s neat how the pant is faded

5. It’s so funny that you have this! I have actually been planning on doing an ombre stain on my daughter’s play table. Hers will be a bit more turquoise though.

6. Kelly in Austin says:

If you are going to try this, I would try it with a minwax stain or similar product. That way you get the wood grain consistently over the whole piece.

7. Just the other day I saw this bench in the Anthropologie catalog and feel in love! It is such a great bench. Too bad it’s a bit (more like a lot) out of my price range.

8. Amubleu says:

That bench is lovely. The faded look can easily be achieved if you use a paint gun or air brush. You might be able to use paint from a spray can but I’ve never had luck getting a smooth look when transitioning from color into another (inexperienced). You have so much control over the look when you do it yourself. The range of colors available now is incredible. I can’t wait to see what you do.

9. Cristina Mas says:

this is just great! I love it! I can´t wait to see the experiment! I´ll post it in my blog!

10. cecilia says:

I love how you are so on top of trends in design! Ombre is a huge hair trend as well in L.A.

11. kimem says:

I’m a sucker for ombre, too. Good luck with your DIY!

12. Jennifer says:

Good luck! I can’t wait to see how it turns out. Ombre is awesome.

13. margaret says:

looking forward to your tutorial..

14. I really want to like this, but it’s something about the shape. Ombre is one of my favorites, I look forward to the DIY.

15. Whitney says:

If the spray paint can does not work… you might try a “Pre-val” you can probably find them at an actual paint store, not sure if Home Depot will have one. It is a self contained pressurized sprayer that is easier to control and you choose whatever color you want. Good Luck

16. Katie says:

This is so great, I love it! Eagerly awaiting your DIY ;)

17. I looove this bench and I am obsessed with all things ombre. I just bought this umbra container from the container store because it was cheap and ombre-ish, even thought I don’t really need it. Can’t wait to see how your project goes!

18. Amm says:

I want this bench!! but in orange or lime. I wish it came in other colors.

19. Anthea says:

I am imaging layers of ombre–cushions on it.