living in: the sound of music

Whatever your feelings about musicals now, it’s undeniable that every little girl has dreamed of living in The Sound of Music at one point or another. Most first viewings happen at such a young age that being 16 going on 17 seems an utter impossibility. It’s hard not to still dream about singing on mountaintops, dancing in gazebos or picnicking in fine Alps form.

1. Bistro Cutlery Set, $45; 2. Goat Marionette, $13; 3. Milk Bottle, $16; 4. Pack Basket, $104; 5. Hermes Scarf, $385; 6. Saltwater Sandals, $39; 7. Wicker Picnic Basket, $19; 8. Vintage Alpine Hat, $22; 9. Yamaha Guitar, $139; 10. French Bistro Glasses, $14

The second set of stills and another product roundup continue after the jump . . .

The curtain-made clothes get a lot of play, but how about the girls’ sweet sailor uniforms? The movie blends a charming mix of Fraulein Maria and Captain Von Trapp — a little free spirited and a little fancy, too. Whatever camp you fall into, there are a few simple things on which we all can agree: Rain drops on roses and whiskers on kittens win out every time.

1. Gold Tassel Tie-Back, $7; 2. Dear Creatures Dress, $145; 3. Whistle Pendant, $51; 4. Winterset Chandelier, $299; 5. Antique Silver Teapot, $65; 6. Envelope Tray, $22; 7. Cane Back Chair, $593; 8. Hammered Gold Pillow, $565; 9. Skeleton Key, $26; 10. Aidan Gray Candlesticks, $315

1. Anne says:

I have always adored this movie… even as a 4 year old. I wanted to run away and go live with Julie Andrews whenever I was upset!

2. Linda Landig says:

Ah, it brings back such memories! The songs are running through my head now! This movie made me dream of someday seeing the alps–a dream that has been fulfilled, by the way.

3. laurel says:

Thank you so much for posting this! Totally unrelated to the Sound of Music, but I’ve been looking for the perfect wicker box for a card box for my wedding and there it is! Super affordable too!

4. Silvina says:

Love the movie, love living in it… ooohhhhhhhhhh!!! I want it all jeje

5. Thankyouthankyouthankyou! Going to Salzburg next week and this has only fuelled my excitement further! :-)

Aaaand I’ve just spotted that you’ve posted on Stealing Beauty as well — off to enjoy that post as well!

6. Andrea says:

Oh my goodness – this is one movie I truly want to live in: I travelled all the way to Salzburg purely to do the Sound of Music Tour.

7. Bren Herrera says:

def. a top 10 fave movie of mine!!! i have two vynyl records that i listen when i want that vintage sound and 3 of the songs are my itunes Most Fave list…. may just watch it tonight, actually since i’m wide awake. Thanks for the moment!

8. Jo says:

You have inspired me and some friends to be the Von Trap family singers for Halloween! This fabric may be the winner for the curtain play clothes.

9. Deeb27 says:

Oh, the fabulolus memories! Thanks!

10. nina18a says:

Have you done a column on “The Holiday” yet, with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz? That’s England AND L.A. both. I love Kate Winslet’s house in the movie.

11. Ahhh what a wonderful movie! I used to dream of being Liesl!

12. Jennifer H. says:

Sometimes I’ll put this movie in to play while I’m cleaning so I can sing along with all of the songs, but I ALWAYS wind up just sitting on the bed and watching it all the way through. No way to count how many times I’ve seen it. And I also used to dream of being Liesl, and have always loved that name. We hope to move to Europe one day, and Austria will be top on my list of places to visit!

13. John Bond says:

I think the pictures were taken in whales. It’s such a beautiful country. My dream is live in a place like that one day.
    John Bond |