flowers a-z: s is for snapdragon

Greetings from sunny Southern California! I have returned to my hometown of San Diego for a little mini-break and am lucky enough to be posting from my very favorite flower shop, Green Fresh Florals. My dear friend Carlos Franco owns this magical place and (along with his trusted head designer, Travis Rogers) has been creating fabulous works of art on the cutting edge of floral and event design since 2004. From the unique Green studio, I present the letter “s” for snapdragon!

At the Green studio, you will find fresh florals and chic giftware along with two of the best designers anywhere. The design style at Green is sleek and modern, often using saturated colors and interesting textures. I was greatly inspired and influenced by Carlos when we worked together at another shop years ago. And leave it to Carlos to have an unusual hue of snapdragon on hand at the studio.

These snapdragons are incredible. I was so awed by the “sunset” spectrum of the blossoms. The most common snapdragon colors are white, yellow, red, pink and burgundy. Snapdragons are grown primarily in Mediterranean climates and in California (Southern and Central California climates closely mimic the Mediterranean). Although the formal name for this flower is antirrhinum, the colloquial name “snapdragon” is descriptive; the blossoms resemble the head of a dragon, and when pinched open and closed, they appear to “snap,” like the mouth of a beast. Follow along with me after the break as I show you a fun trick for decorating the inside of a clear, glass vase and create an arrangement inspired by a Southern California desert sunset. — Sarah

The post continues after the jump…

The Green studio has such an eclectic mix of elements, many of which center around a desert garden theme.

With this array of beautiful blooms at my disposal, I decided to work in the desert theme using the fresh sunset colors of pink and orange snapdragons.

The succulents, air plants and tropicals section of the shop evoke the native Southern California landscape — hot and dry!

For a quick way to jeuje up a clear, glass vase, begin with a variegated tropical ti leaf (or any waxy leaf available that can be submerged in water).

Simply dunk the leaf into the vase and form it around the edge of the glass. This works best with a rounded vase, although it can be done with an angular vase, as well. Repeat until the entire glass becomes opaque with leaves.

Voila! Your newly “wallpapered” vessel awaits. Designing in this vase requires a bit more focus. Be sure to place greens and blooms carefully inside the leaves, so as not to disturb your pattern.

First add a network of greens. Here, I went with a protea green to conjure that desert feel.

Add the happy snapdragons. Because they are a lean “tubular flower” (as opposed to a “face flower”), you can add them at the beginning of your arrangement. They help provide structure along with the greens.

Nestle in other blooms along the “sunset” spectrum: “desert” roses, dahlia, fuzzy celosia and mini green hydrangea.

Wild and free! There is a lot to take in visually here — DIY container, lanky snapdragons, blooming roses and a desert palette.

Just love these ti leaves! Please make your arrangement some version of your own sunny vacation fantasy. Most important (as always), experiment with textures, shapes and hues. Join me back here in two weeks when I will have returned to Big Bad New York City and “t” will be for . . .

1. Bev Weidner says:

I’m just wondering if I can pay rent for a tiny corner in this adorable shop. GOOD. GRIEF.

2. Amanda says:

Love this! I enjoy flowers, but sometimes I shy away from decorating with them because I don’t want the flowers to be overwhelming. The things you’re showing in the post don’t run that risk, though! They just look fresh and eclectic. Love Love Loooovee!

3. Rachel Tatem says:

Thanks, I have always wanted to try my hand at arrangements!

4. Katie says:

Wow, so gorgeous@ I love the leaves in the vase, what a great idea!! xo

5. christina says:

i drive by this shop all the time — i’ll have to pop in

6. Nicole says:

How does one obtain those ti leaves? I love them, but never know how to get them. If one could grow their own what kind of flowers/plant should we buy?
    Thank you!

7. Amy says:

The best florist in San Diego… their work is magnificent and I am so happy they are here in Hillcrest so close to me!!!

8. Amy says:

I love Green!!! the best florist in San Diego!!

9. Lucy Skye says:

fabulous…makes me long for a southern california summer…and the designs are gorgeous!

10. Hillary says:

snap dragons are one of my favorites! I remember my surprise & delight when my Grandpa first showed me how you can make the snap dragons ‘talk’ by pinching the sides of the blossoms – I can’t resist still doing it to this day!

11. Carey says:

I live right around the corner from this gorgeous shop! It is such a great place :-) I like that it offers more than just flowers, some unique gift items too

12. Beautiful! I love seeing the process of putting this together! Thank you!

13. Carol says:

Beautiful, vibrant and happy blooms!

14. I love that simple technique to decorate the container. It’s so elegant and elevates the arrangement.

15. Chrissy says:

I used to LOVE playing with snapdragons when I was younger. We had two turquoise pots with snapdragons on our back porch growing up and my sister and I used to play with them for hours. It was so much fun.

Love that idea of a leaf wallpaper. Very cleaver!

16. evaone says:

oh those flowers are really lovely and what a perfect flower arrangement… nice work!