before & after: vintage farmhouse dining room

This lovely dining room makeover has made the blog rounds a bit — you may have seen it on Poppytalk last week — but it was too beautiful a transformation not to share. Abbey and her husband purchased this 1800s farmhouse in upstate NY a mere four weeks ago, and already they are hard at work turning it into a cozy, vintage-style space with tons of light and character. I love the copper details, including the vintage light fixture she found for $7 (!) and the circle of stamped pennies on the wall. If this is what Abbey can accomplish in just four weeks, I can’t wait to see how the rest of the house turns out! Great job, Abbey! — Kate

Read more about Abbey’s gorgeous vintage-style dining room makeover after the jump!

Time: 4 weeks

Cost: Just over $1,000 — $500 to refinish all of the floors in the house, $100 to replace the wall, $250 for paint (the whole house). The only real splurge was $200 on a new rug (from a local store called Nasco Home).

Basic Steps: In the dining room, we tore out a faux stone wall and replaced it with sheetrock, primed and painted the walls (Behr Ultra Pure White), sanded and refinished the floors, switched out the overhead light, and replaced all of the electrical outlets. We still have to paint the radiators and finish the cushion for the window seat.

Tape your to-do list to the front door, line up good babysitters, always have cold beer on hand, and don’t listen to the naysayers who stop by to comment on your project and drink all of your cold beer. — Abbey

1. Abbey H says:

Thanks again, everyone. I couldn’t find a tag anywhere on the rug, so I’m not sure what brand it is. Sorry! Re; kitchen floors- we knew they were hardwood (in really bad shape), but the appraiser insisted on a floor covering before we closed. Cheap temporary floors were installed until we could refinish them. :)

2. Julia says:

I love the school chairs for the dining chairs. You’ve done a great job. I also really like the turquoise cabinet. I live in a huge 1800’s farmhouse that we are renovating, but ours is about 10 years in the making. The outside looks amazing, but the inside is just bare-bones. Hopefully it’ll someday look this fantastic.

3. amazing! white paint = pure magic

4. Brent says:

I actually really liked the vintage farmhouse space before, but good job, the renovation looks great! The turqoise bookshelf is very creative and inventive and the lighting,Wow, its a major transformation!

5. Suus says:

Love to see the new fresh white room! Beautiful and sereen! Love it! Xoxo

6. anya says:

Wherever did you get that fabulous light fixture?

7. Ooh, how lovely! So much brighter…

8. Jenna says:

When I looked at the pictures I thought the radiator being left the same was intentional. It looks great with the highchair! :) I think it would be awesome just left the way it is. What a beautiful room. I’m really digging white nowadays. Its so simple but so clean, and looks great with lots of colored accents. Great work!!

9. Kristina says:

It is amazing to see the transformation and how much light was added to the room! So gorgeous!

10. XIronman says:

nice work. But honestly, I prefer something old-fashioned. I am traditional.

11. Sue says:

LOVE IT. I like keeping things original too, but considering the “before” I think you did a FAB job freshening up the space without losing the existing character of the room (as someone else pointed out, the woodwork was ALREADY painted). I think it would look awesome to someday strip the window frames (especially against the white) but it’s also great as-is. Terrific job!

12. jennifer says:

this is a fantastic makeover, and I loved your advice too!

13. onefinelady says:

looks so lovely and fresh. thank you for inviting us into your new home and sharing the goodness. down with the naysayers, I say! I’m quietly fascinated by the whole squashed penny concept which is a mystery here in Australia… however I’m in the loop thanks to a little machine I encountered in Chinatown in San Francisco in 1996.

14. So beautiful! The wood floors are to die for…. yum!

15. How did you take off the flooring in the kitchen?
    I have an old home that would look great if the flooring matched.