before & after: old door daybed + embellished cabinet

It’s always fun to see architectural details from buildings — doors, windows, banisters, hardware, etc. — creatively re-purposed as furniture. Ida’s daybed is a lovely re-interpretation of these decrepit old doors, and I love the rounded corners, trim and various decorative touches she’s added to finish off the piece. Lovely work, Ida! — Kate

Time: 2–3 days

Cost: $205 ($90 for doors plus materials)

Basic Steps: First we measured our doors and cut them on each end to make sure they fit the width of daybed frame. Then I drew a pattern we wanted on the door (that was the hardest part) and copied it to the other door using a cardboard template and had the Hubs (Bradley) cut away with a skill saw. We cut one of the doors in half for the side panels. I painted the doors and brought them inside for assembly (no way this massive bed was going to fit through our back door). In our sunroom, we attached each half door to the full door using the decking spindles and lag bolts. Then we bolted in the daybed frame and added the front table legs, decorative trim and wood accents.

My advice for people looking to create something similar is to buy the daybed frame first, so you can use it when you are measuring/cutting the doors. Also try to find a local salvage yard to get a good deal on doors and trim, and keep on recycling! — Ida

Read about Jessica’s embellished cabinet after the jump!

I’ll admit it: Fancy paint jobs frighten me. I love the look of intricately painted dressers and cabinets, but I’ve never mastered the patience to tackle those kinds of time-intensive projects. Jessica’s embellished, painterly cabinet is making me think I should try a bit harder. Her work is so meticulous, which is crucial to pull off an elaborate piece like this. I love the pop of yellow and white against the mix of grays — very eye-catching. Great job, Jessica!

Time: 8 hours (not including drying time)

Cost: $200

Basic Steps: We stripped the piece of its old finish, then sanded and painted the piece with 2 -in-1 primer/semigloss paint. Once that was finished, we painted the accent color, stenciled the design and applied a gloss polycrylic finish. For the design, I drew and rendered the look I wanted, then did some option reviews by switching colors/designs around to see slight modifications. This helped me plan out the exact look I wanted!

When buying supplies, ask the sales people in that department for any tips, techniques or product recommendations; they can be very helpful! (Shout out: Home Depot paint dept.) Be patient! Don’t settle! Go with your gut! — Jessica

1. obsessed with that daybed! so beautiful!

2. Oh my, both of those transformations are absolutely incredible. I soooo want that daybed for my own home. :)

3. Katie says:

Wow, amazing transformations. I’m so inspired! xo

4. Katherine says:

WHAT?! that daybed is so awesome.

5. Jennifer says:

Hey Jessica! Great Before & After post! I love the day bed. Do you know why I can’t share the photo on Pinterest?

6. Rachel Tatem says:

Amazing, the way they can look at a piece and pull out the awesome.

7. sarah says:

i love both of these! that day bed is awesome! love all the reclaimed parts that went into it!

8. jessie says:

that day bed is stunning. Wow a really neat idea

9. Stop! These are gorgeous!!! I show the before+after to my “manly man” husband and he loves them too! :)

10. Ps. where is perty coffee table from? Looks like Ballard, World Market, or the like..

11. liza jane says:

That daybed is so awesome! Love the re-purposed doors.

12. MB@YarnUiPhoneApp says:

I love the daybed too…and I have an antique one that’s begging to be beautified with pillows! But what a great idea for a small apartment.

13. diann garnett says:

Both proojects are gorgeous! Love the colors you chose for the hutch….what’s the line & name or number for that perfect grey basecoat?

14. They are both completely amazing. I want want want want! :)

15. I LOVE that daybed! I’ve been looking at daybeds for a while but never would have thought to make my own out of old doors! Can you elaborate on what kind of daybed frame you used to size the doors?

The cabinet is super cute too!

16. That daybed is inspiring!!!!! What a great idea!

17. Judy M says:

Congrats, Ida. I knew you had the ‘right stuff’ for being a decorating super star.
    God bless all you do.

18. casey says:

love that daybed! great idea

19. jess says:

Wow!!!!! Daybed is awesome sauce!!

20. Sarah says:

Quick question: when you say to bolt in daybed frame, is that a pre-assembled thing you bought to attach the doors to?
    Love both transformations. Creative upcycling is a beautiful thing :)

21. Kelly says:

Love the daybed!! Can you tell us more about the frame you used and where to find one and the size of the doors?? This has inspired my next project!! Thank you, thank you!!

22. Alena says:

I am not surprised at all about your daybed being in the blog. I saw it before and everyone was stunned by your achievement. I’m so glad you made the cut!!! You really deserved that.

23. Hi all- Ida from The Urban Cottage…..Thank you all for the kind comments! Hope you get some inspiration from this and start recruiting your crew to begin the daybed project :)

In response to the frame used for the daybed. It is a standard daybed frame also called a link spring. It comes with brackets with holes on each of the corners that allow you to bolt it in to the door directly (we predrilled a pilot hole and hand cranked lag bolts in) I picked one up at my local furniture store ($55)because it was much cheaper than the big brand furniture dealers- also try craigslist. Its a fits a twin so 77 L x 39D and you do not have to have a box spring with this type of frame.
    You can attach it however high or low you want the bed to sit at…remember to count the mattress.
    Here’s what one looks like: or

As for the doors….I got doors that were 34″ or 36″ W and more than 78″ long (so it will fit the daybed length and width when cut in half).

24. Hayley says:

Truly beautiful! You’ve definately inspired me.

25. Leanne says:

I want both of these pieces. Stylish and imaginative, not to mention beautiful. Hit me up if you ever want to sell. You will have to ship to Australia :)

26. I WOULD never have imagined just how truly lovely that daybed came out. such luxury with architectural finds! way to go….!

27. Ambrya says:

I love before/after projects, especially when they turn out as beautiful as these pieces! Thank you for the inspiration.

28. Karen says:

A daybed redoux is just my style. What great work you did!

29. Love this! It would also be cute with decorative paper placed in the squalres and then ModPodged ;)

30. Jessica says:

Thank you so much for the comments! Excited to be on Design*Sponge! I am very impressed with Ida’s daybed/sofa!! Love the pillows as well.

The paint is Behr 2-in-1 semi-gloss primer/paint, color name Sparrow and there’s about 2-3 coats of it! The other paints are Glidden samples of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (more chartreuse in person than photographed) and Seal Grey.

31. LH says:

The cabinet is adorable.

32. Justine says:

Loving the daybed. It looks so comfy!

33. awesomesauce says:

I wish we had a price breakdown for Jessica’s — how much was the cabinet, vs. how much was supplies? And where is that stencil from?!

34. Jasmeen says:

Yes, please share more details on the stencil and the process for the cabinet, it is absolutely beautiful!

35. Holly says:

The cabinet is one of the best before& afters I’ve seen on DS.

36. Jen M. says:

These are both great projects, but that daybed–WOW!

37. m says:

I think my eyes bulged out a couple inches when I scrolled down to the ‘after’ pic of the cabinet. WOW. I just bought a similar piece and I think I found my inspiration for its makeover!

38. Toni says:

Can I have that daybed? That is LOVELY!!!!!! I will very find doors and make that for myself, that you!

39. diana says:

such talent!!! I am so in love with the bed and the cabinet is unreal. Beautiful. Is there a tutorial for the bed?