before & after: elegant bathroom makeover

My friends tease me for this, but I will go on record as saying that I think the bathroom should definitely receive the most love and consideration when renovating a home. I’ve seen scores of inspirational bathrooms, but this extensive renovation by graphic designer and illustrator Anile Prakash comes close to my vision of a dream bathroom. Heavy on the clean and fresh tile with minimalist white fixtures and rustic, warm wood accents — yep, pretty dreamy. Beautiful job, Anile! — Kate

See more of Anile’s gorgeous bathroom makeover after the jump!

Time: 3 months

Cost: $15–20K

Basic Steps: Our basic steps to achieve the look included spending months (years, really) planning and dreaming of every possible layout and analyzing what our needs were. Poring over our inspiration book (a blank sketchbook I bought at an art supply store) where I would paste in photos from magazines and online images that I printed out. Many, many visits to tile and fixture stores and antique and second-hand stores leaving empty-handed to mull things over, returning to take measurements, making lists, eliminating choices, and on and on.

Our advice is not to rush into anything. Renos are an exercise in patience and perseverance. Plan for months ahead of time. Be prepared for daily decision-making, frustrations, unexpected delays and expenses and many inconveniences, such as showering at friends’ and families’ homes, inconceivable messes and disruptions and having strangers in your house all day long. Finally, try to limit your on-trend selections to items that are easily replaceable such as accessories, hardware, lighting, etc. Resist the temptation to use lower quality/less expensive materials because they will last half the time they should. Wherever possible, try to make environmentally responsible choices that are within your budget. — Anile

1. Page Harader says:

I think this is the most beautiful bathroom I have ever seen. Perfect in every way. I love that it is at once understated and functional yet GORGEOUS and luxurious. Do you mind if I copy it? Truly amazing.

2. kimberlee says:

lots of pretty touches, too bad you couldn’t find a way to create more of a separation between the toilet and the bathtub. an ongoing problem in american bathrooms, imo.

3. Whoops sorry for the delay, I was trying to track down the name of the tub but I’ve had no luck. We found it by browsing the catalogs at Ciot, so if you bring a photo to your bath store I’m sure you’ll be able to track a similar one down. Don’t forget to find out whether your floor needs to be reinforced if you get a cast iron tub!

The shower fixture is by Perrin & Rowe, same as the tub and sink fixtures. We love the slightly steampunk look of our shower! And the quality is excellent.

The chandelier was a vintage find so – I’m sorry I can’t help more with that ;)

Thanks so much again, we really appreciate all the lovely comments and are tickled pink to have been able to share this with you!!

4. Sarah says:

lovely. :) and i love that you emphasized how long you spent considering your design choices. we see so many renos that happen in the span of 2 hours/days/weeks. in life, beauty is worth the thought, worth the effort, worth the wait. congrats on a job well done.

5. Ann Porter says:

Great project – the time spent must have been worth the wait. A cute garden stool would work well to hold the small items like razors.

6. Maira says:

can you tell me more about the wood shelves? material and dimensions?

7. lua says:

My eyes went @@!!!!!!! I am in love. Super. I love it when there’s a shower away from the tub so one can get get tidy before a soak.

Thank you for sending this in. Incredinle job. Congrats.

8. annie says:

Wow! There are so many wonderful words to describe this, but seriously, wow, comes to mind every time I go back and look! I am always drawn to all white…I adore white painted brick, the warm wood shelves and the chandelier are divine.

9. Angie says:

Anile,
    Your bathroom design is superb and you have a beautiful name by the way! My current bathroom has a similair layout to your “before version”. It’s so cramped. I would love to do something similiar. This just is classic, clean and distinguished. Would you mind sharing your bathroom dimensions, so I can see if a similiar layout would be possible? Thanks for sharing an amazing renovation!

10. shani says:

wow Anile. this is a breathtakingly beautiful bathroom, and i would love to try to recreate in parts. am trying to see- is there mirrored vanity on the wall opposite the mirrored wall above the sink? did yo do that to bounce that light around, and would that double mirrored wall work in a much smaller bathroom?
    also, what is the metal finish on your shower rods, faucets etc? are they all the same?
    also, am particularly interested in your shelves- what are the dimensions of the shelves, what wood are they, and what stain did you use? were you trying to match them to the sink cabinet? and is the middle one different and why? really, this bathroom is just an ideal mix of everything fabulous! great job!

11. kristin says:

love this renovation~ the new space is so tranquil & serene!!

12. Wow – that’s gone from looking like a store room to such a nice a clean contemporary bathroom, without being too cynical. Will be using these ideas!

13. Ellen says:

Hi, sorry if this has been answered, but can you tell me brand/color name of floor tile, wall marble tile, and what kind of countertop – it looks like quartz maybe? Am trying to achieve something similar, but not sure how to pick tile that would not be slippery – is this slippery? Really gorgeous, thank you so much.

14. Hello there!! Thank-you so, so much for the ongoing comments! I will try to answer your questions as well as I can:

– The wood shelves are reclaimed wood and were made by a talented friend and arborist – I don’t know what his process was in terms of cutting and staining, nor what kind of wood he used, but we’re really thrilled with his hard work. They are about 2.5-3 inches thick and a good 4+ feet wide. We wanted them to resemble the vanity’s wood tone somewhat but we don’t mind at all that they aren’t an exact match.

– Angie, the dimensions of the room are approximately 9×10 but it’s pretty irregular – I hope that helps somewhat!

– Shani, yes there is a mirrored pharmacy opposite the mirror above the sink. It was a rather large and bare-looking wall so putting the pharmacy there just made sense to us – we really wanted the feel of an unbroken expanse of mirror across the entire length of the wall above the sink and the toilet. A double-mirrored wall can work to your advantage, too (I just open the pharmacy door and angle it so I can see what the back of my head looks like when I need to blowdry :) The metal finish is polished nickel – I like polished chrome too, but nickel feels warmer in such a white space.
    – Ellen, there is no brand name for the tile, but I can confirm that it is all natural marble (same with the vanity countertop, which came included when we bought the vanity). The floor isn’t slippery at all, mostly because all the grout between the mosaic tiles gives you lots of grip.

Hope that helps, thanks and take care! Good luck to all the reno adventurers!

15. Brooke says:

I absolutely love this bathroom! The chandelier is a great accent to the room..not to mention the bath tub is stunning!

16. melissa gonzales says:

Shiver me timbers… this bathroom is heavenly.

17. Just perfect! well done!

18. Anthony says:

Was there an existing brick wall behind the original or is that a faux wall thats been white washed?

19. christian says:

The brick wall was already there, but it meant hours of filling the gaps with mortar repair caulking in order to avoid drips with the paint. The first coat of paint was foundation repair paint (chalky primer) and the last three coats was Benjamin Moore CC40 (cloud white)

20. kaye says:

i love that tub so much… could you share who makes it? this is the most beautiful bathroom!

21. Hi there! We were finally able to track down the tub – so just in case this is helpful to anyone, here’s the link! http://www.cheviotproducts.com/cast_iron_bathtubs/iris_cast_iron_bath/

22. Lali says:

this is such a beautiful bathroom! I found it while looking for inspirations for the design of my own bathroom

23. Denise says:

Very well planned. I love the matching wall faucets. Can you tell me: the shower hardware used in the last image? Is this a set, or did you purchase each piece separately? Thank you.