2011 d*s book tour dates!

I am so excited to finally get the ball rolling and announce the details for our Fall/Winter 2011 Book Tour! To celebrate the release of Design*Sponge at Home (out Sept 13th) Amy and I are hitting the road with the help of our amazing publisher, Artisan Books. Book tours are less and less common these days so we feel incredibly priveledged and appreciative to visit not one but 30 different cities this year!

When I first starting planning the tour I knew I didn’t want to have a traditional “stand in line and sign books” sort of event. It just didn’t feel like us. So instead we’re going to do events that combine crafting classes and giving back to local arts charities. In each city we’ll have a fun signing event/party, but we’ll also be having smaller craft sessions where you can come learn (and make) something from the book. All of the craft fees and donations from our local sponsors will go to benefit a local arts charity that we felt strongly deserved to be celebrated and supported.

In addition, I really wanted to celebrate local artists, so we’ll be working with local artists to create custom backdrops for photos/decoration and to provide a completely unique and custom version of the craft project we’re doing in each city. We want these events to be about celebrating the artists that make each of these cities great as much as it is about celebrating the book.

Here’s how the tour schedule works: starting tomorrow, we’ll be posting individual posts for each city (one a day, one month before each event is to place) where you’ll find ALL of the details and RSVP information you need. This post will give you the general dates and locations so you can mark them on your calendar ahead of time if you want to join us. Stay tuned for our first event RSVP (for NYC!) tomorrow and next week for Boston, Philly and DC. xo, grace

*A big thank you to Sarah Burningham at Little Bird for being the best and most patient tour organizer ever.

2011 DS Book Tour Dates:

-September 10 + 13: NYC (RSVP will be up tomorrow)
-September 14: Boston, MA (RSVP will be up next week)
-September 16: Philadelphia, PA (RSVP will be up next week)
-September 17 + 18: Washington DC (RSVP will be up next week)
-September 25 + 26: Portland, OR
-November 9: Denver, CO
-November 10 + 11: San Diego, CA
-November 15: Nashville, TN
-November 16: Richmond, VA
-November 17: Norfolk, VA
-December 1: Philadelphia, PA
December 7: Toronto (This event has been postponed until early 2012)

*We will traveling abroad to Sydney and Melbourne, Australia and London, England in Spring 2012. Dates and details to come later this fall.

1. Lydia says:

Yay Nashville! Early birthday present to me!

2. Jenny says:

Grace – thanks for the response. It’s the crafts I’m afraid of missing. I only wish I was the creative type so I’m dying for the opportunity to be around those with more creative minds!

3. Denise says:

Glad to hear the Great LA is on your list for us Californians. Do you know the exact location yet? I want to plan a day to be there. I live in Bakersfield about an hour and a half north. Looking forward to meeting you all!

hi denise

the details for LA will be up soon :)

grace

4. Taylor says:

Wish you could make it closer to Ottawa, Ontario- Like to Montreal!!
    Maybe I can make it to Toronto!!

5. Teresa says:

Of course I have to thank you again for coming to Norfolk. We NEVER get book tours. Can not wait to see what you have on tap for us. Of course, it has to be extra special. ;-) Also, perhaps by the time you arrive we will finally have our wildfire situation under control.

teresa

oh man, the fires are crazy! i could smell them when we drove to NC for july 4th. hopefully they’ll stop soon.

norfolk will be awesome- my entire family is coming in for it so you’ll get to meet the entire extended d*s fam ;)

grace

6. Elena Koidis says:

So excited! How do I find more info on the Toronto location?

elena

the info for toronto will be posted in november as the event gets closer :)

g

7. Taylor says:

Congrats on the Book Tour, but no Cleveland?? No Ohio at all?! :'(

taylor

i’m sorry, please see my comments above about how/why cities were chosen.

grace

8. Nina says:

Grace come to Arizona! I promise you won’t melt :)

xoxo,
    Nina

ninasaraa.blogspot.com

9. Yea!! My calendar is marked to see you in Dallas! Wahoo!

10. Evita says:

Very excited for October 26th!

11. stef says:

Two days in Chicago but none in Detroit. sigh.

12. * * hooray — you’ll be in my city on my birthday! can’t wait to see you all in SF.

13. barchbo says:

Fabulous! Looking forward to your Austin stop!

14. lucrecia says:

Another vote for Miami, you have to come to Miami !!

15. Bernie says:

Didnt I tell you there would be a lot of other disappointed Fl. readers? I will miss you in
    Asheville, by a week, aaaarghh!

16. Natasha says:

Do you know where you’ll be speaking in Athens?

17. Can’t wait for San Diego- Let me know if you need any crafty help for the event!

18. JT says:

Wow, two days in San Diego. I feel so lucky. Are there that many other DS fans in the area?!

19. jeni says:

I’ve Pre-ordered my book and SO excited y’all are coming to the Holy City in October!!! I am a local artist/photographer and friends with many others, some you have blogged about even! Please let us know what we can do to help and be hospitable! Charleston is Lovely in the Fall!!! Cannot wait!!! xo

20. et moi says:

I’m so excited! Both for the book (just yesterday I was browsing design diy books at BN and thought, ‘I wish DS would do a book’. . . and wah-la! My wish comes true! See you in LA

21. Karen Dillon says:

So, so sad you’re not hitting our part of the Midwest. No Cleveland, Columbus, Cinci, or Pittsburgh, Indiana or Lexington/ Louisville. I still wish you the most fun and success on your trip. But, please, please include us next go-around. Wishing a wonderful time to all of you and all those who can attend.

22. libby says:

see you in denver!

23. Carolyn says:

Really, Austin, Dallas and no Houston? We’re the 3rd largest city in the US!

carolyn

please see my comments above- these city decisions were based on d*s readership locations, not population numbers.

grace

24. You’re coming to Athens?! Super fab! Can’t wait!

25. Melissa says:

Congrats on the book launch and tour. I’m happy for you! I’m also incredibly disappointed that you (and Holly Becker, too) bypassed St. Louis, especially considering your two recent articles featuring my great town. We have a thriving art scene and yet we are constantly overlooked. I get it, you have a budget. It just doesn’t make it any less hurtful. ;) Good luck on your tour. You’ll be fabulous!

melissa

i hope you’ll understand our decisions are purely budget based, and were never ever meant to be hurtful to anyone. most book tours are 5-6 cities, so paying for a 30 city book tour is pretty crazy. we did our best to fit in as many cities as possible based on our overall readership numbers in those locations.

grace

26. stephanie says:

What the heck?! No Miami?!? Man, that’s no fair! I really thought I would get to see you…nevertheless, very very excited for this book! Your blog is by far my favorite!

stephanie

i’m sorry, please see my comments above about cities.

grace

27. Merri says:

i am vare xsited 4 minneapolis sre 4 the speling i have had a stroke and dont spel so gud ne more wil yor event b whelchar axsibl i rele want 2 b thare

merri

our event in minneapolis will be at the anthropolgie in edina. according to their website it says it is wheelchair accessible with a ramp on the sidewalk and the store is one level :)

grace

28. eva says:

giving crafts lessons and giving the benefits away: what a nice thing to do! Have fun!

29. Airlie says:

Sooooo happy you are coming to Australia! Can’t wait.

30. miranda rose says:

hurray! very excited to see you next year, down under! give me a shout if you need any help, info or advice!

31. Anne Marie says:

Oh, darn! I thought you were stopping in New Orleans. Oh, well. Maybe I can catch you at one of your other stops. Have a wonderful time, Grace!

32. Angie says:

I’m so excited you are coming to Denver. Is there any way you can point me in the direction to find out when (time) & place this will be held and how to reserve a spot? I don’t want to miss out!

33. vicki says:

i am so excited to get the book, already ordered on amazon! i was hoping to make the DC date and am so bummed i will be at a Virginia Tech game! i should have picked another weekend. oh well, cant wait to get my hands on the book…

34. Jessica C. says:

You are just lovely…we will anxiously await yout arrival to the Big D!

35. maja @tikoli says:

wow, this schedule looks exhausting~ you are totally superwoman!
    can’t wait :)

36. How do I resister for the LA event?

riley

the la RSVP will be up on monday, 1pm est

grace

37. Marina says:

No Barcelona at the european tour? Oh! I would love to know you… I get it, it’s impossible . Anyway, how do I get this book? You sell it? What can I do ? Thank and congrat. I wonder you are living a dream with this book , the newspaper and the new design sponge. Great for you!

38. Michelle McGuire says:

Surely you can squeeze Phoenix into this mix…. can’t you?

michelle

it’s not an issue of schedule (though it’s already crazy), it’s an issue of budget. we have to find a free location, a sponsor for food/drink and travel/hotel for me and amy for each location. :(

grace

39. Zoe says:

THANK YOU FOR COMING TO TORONTO!!!
    I have been following this site since forever and has been such a form of inspiration! I attend OCAD here in the city and my degree has transformed into one that encompasses so much of what this site is about! Keep up the great work!!!!

40. Brooke says:

Hi, so excited to be coming to your event in Boston this week! One of my questions was answered (if we can bring books we already purchased) but was wondering why the dress “code” is- dressy, causual, dressy-casual? Thanks and looking forward to Wed!

hi brooke!

no dress code at all, come in whatever you’re most comfortable :)

grace

41. caroline a. says:

hi! i’m in chicago and had my calendar marked to check for the rsvp yesterday (1 month before the event). i didn’t see anything posted for the chicago event, did i miss something or misunderstand the info for how to sign up? thanks!!

42. Kass says:

Bonne chance! Too bad you wont be coming to Montreal! Maybe next time, have fun!

43. Elizabeth Burton says:

Any chance you will come back to NYC? I love your blog and would jump at another chance to meet you!

44. Heidi S. says:

Thanks for coming to Terrain! We had a great time. I posted up a couple of pictures on my blog this morning. Also, the punch was delicious. Do you happen to know the recipe?

45. AJ says:

Oh shame no Houston date :-(

46. Sue A says:

Just missed the NYC launch by a whisker – our plane landed too late on 13th to get to West Elm in time, but I happened by the next day and am proud to be the owner of a signed copy of your fabulous book! Now even happier to find out you will be in London in 2012; I will definitely be there then!

47. Nicole says:

Trying to figure out how to RSVP for the Portland West Elm event…the store said they didn’t have their list anymore but I could RSVP on facebook, but I cant figure out where? Any ideas? Really want to make this!

48. elizabeth says:

Are you still coming to Birmingham? I saw the details for Athens and Atlanta are up, but no Birmingham. :(

1. Grace Bonney says:

Yep- it will be up friday ;)

G

49. elizabeth says:

Yay! I’m all signed up and super-excited!

50. ashleyj says:

Hi Grace. I’ve been waiting on pins & needles for the details of the Toronto book signing, and I just realized it’s been postponed. I’m bummed I have to wait longer, but also relieved because the original date was right before I have a big project due! I’m in grad school in Buffalo & really hope I’m back from the winter holidays in time for the event. Looking forward to it!