weekly wrap up + hinge heads

As my first full week in Portland comes to a close, I’m left thinking about the little things I miss from home. Beyond loved ones and friends, I miss some of the older details that fill the NYC apartments I love so dearly. I’ve always been someone who obsessed over details like wood inlay floor grates and antique pocket-door pulls, so I appreciate when extra attention is given to unexpected spaces. When I first saw these little hinge heads (decorative finials that go on your door hinges) online, I thought it seemed like an unnecessary thing to spend money on, but the more I thought about it, I realized that these (when chosen well) are the little pieces that can make a home feel different, special or unique.

I don’t think I’ve ever noticed one in use before, but I’d love to have a little unexpected heart or rabbit pop up here and there throughout an older home. They may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but they’re the sorts of whacky details that appear in older New York homes that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately. For those of you still in New York right now, please have a giant bagel for me and spend some time noticing details like this in the older buildings that make up the city. I miss them so much and can’t wait to see them again in August. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and I’ll see you on Monday! xo, grace

Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:

More cute hinge head pictures after the jump . . .

1. Lauren says:

Ah! I have never seen a hinge head before.

These are sooo cute! I want some in my house.

2. Rachel Jones says:

I love this! it’s so simple, but really changes things up

3. Marta says:

The dolphin is so cute! I also love these little and old details you can find in many public places in Barcelona and other European cities.

4. john says:

Just to point out – everything on the west coast is not SO new ya know !
    Portland ‘incorporated’ in 1850.
    My house built in 1930 has inlaid wood air grills….and cool old hardware…

1. Grace Bonney says:

john

oh i know, but on the east coast 1930s is not considered that old ;) when you have a lot of buildings built pre 1850s that becomes the marker for “old” around here ;)

grace

5. KatieQ says:

When I first got married (39 years ago), I lived on the second floor of an old 3 story Victorian house in North Richmond Hill, Queens, NYC that had been converted to a 2 family. The molding was about 8 inches wide and the cast iron radiators had molded images of swirls with angels blowing trumpets at the top. We were able to use the attic which was a living space at one time for storage. It still had the original gas light fixtures. The oak floors were beautiful. Best of all, the rent for 4 rooms was $175 per month. I longed to live in Brooklyn Heights so I could take romantic walks on the Promenade. Instead I settled on a cheap, clean, apartment that we could easily commute to my job in Brooklyn and my husband’s job in Manhattan.

6. Diane says:

They say locally made, but where are they actually made?

7. jen says:

Wow! I love these. They are so whimsical and sweet. We are building an addition on to our 1880’s farmhouse in Western NY and we are really trying to add details that make it look as though it was original to the house. These might be a must!

8. crowd SPRING says:

Well When I first saw these little hinge heads online, I thought it seemed like an unnecessary thing to spend money on, but the more I thought about it, I realized that these are the little pieces that can make a home feel different, special or unique…….

9. Martrese says:

LOVE THESE. I noticed the same thing when I moved to PDX from NYC in ’08, especially when eating in restaurants. I miss the brick-lined parlour floor dives of my old ‘hood (West Village). One of the many things that make living there so special.

10. lia says:

I love these as well. Never have seen these for sale anywhere. Adore finials on lamps and was somewhere where on the guard rails by a little overpass bridge above a creek, little birds were the theme.
    Thank you. It’s not a waste of money, when you see it and it makes you smile :)

Little details always get me…

11. Lexi says:

Have just moved into our dream home in England and the house was built in 1824! I think these fun hinges might be the perfect accessory to personalize our old doors. Thanks for the inspiration.

12. Kai says:

Diane, they are made here in Los Angeles. We work with different artists to create a original design. Then we create a mold and cast a limited edition for each design. Each design has its own character and level of detail. Once a design runs it becomes a collectible. In addition to the designs you see on the site, we have done custom designs in the past. Among others we have done a custom HingeHead for the Red Hat Society and for the Hellboy movie release. Happy to answer more questions. ~ Kai

13. Elizabeth says:

My family and I have been in the process of moving so I have been out of the loop. Grace did you move to the west coast? If so welcome! We moved to Seattle a year ago from Brooklyn Heights and Design Sponge has been one of my daily New York fixes (THANK YOU!) These hinges are so delectable. What a great gift idea!
    Also, congratulations on your book!~

14. Elizabeth says:

These are delectable, great gift ideas! My family and I have been in the process of moving so I have been out of the loop. Grace have you moved to the west coast? If so welcome! We moved to Seattle last year from Brooklyn Heights and Design*Sponge has been one of my daily New York fixes (THANK YOU!).

15. Jason decal says:

simple but elegant.. cool

16. Barbara says:

Yes, a great and inexpensive gift idea for the artist/decorator/designer friend that has everything!

17. Craig says:

Nice little touches. I’ll bear these in mind!

18. Christine says:

Love the hinge head, these are the little details that gives a home character.

19. Lindsay says:

I just lost a bunch of money by buying these as christmas gifts. thanks! :P

20. Well I like this sort of blog……….Really interesting..I like this type of post..It create charm after reading..Thanks

21. Bonnie says:

I ordered the Rock ‘n’ Roller hinge head almost immediately, to give to my brother for his birthday. I received it in less than a week. I thought it would be cute or darling or precious, but this guy has Real Presence. My brother’s birthday isn’t until the end of August so I have the Rock ‘n’ Roller up on MY door for now, “rehearsing.”

22. Well this blog is great..The dolphin is so cute! I also love these little and old details you can find in many public places in Barcelona and other European cities…Thanks

23. mary mercier says:

How do you order hinge heads

1. Amy Azzarito says: