weekly wrap up + design*sponge book preview: diy chapter

Butterfly Dome DIY Project from Design*Sponge at Home

As the week comes to a close and the plans for the D*S Book tour start to come together, I’m getting excited for all the fun projects we’ll be doing at the book events. I love getting together with people and making things by hand, so we’ve picked a wide range of projects to do for events in all 30+ cities. Since I’ve got DIY on the brain, I thought I’d share another preview from Design*Sponge at Home. We’ve already talked about the cover and the first chapter (home tours), so now it’s time for chapter two: DIY projects and DIY basics!

Toolbox illustration by Julia Rothman

When I started the book I knew DIY projects and practical skills would be a large chunk of the content, because I don’t like going heavy on inspiration and light on the tools to turn it into action. One of the things that drives me nuts about fancy coffee table books is that they seem to give you all these gorgeous images and no way to interpret them on your own time and budget. So we decided to pull great ideas from the homes in the book, along with other great projects from our editors and readers, to create the second chapter- which is comprised of 50 DIY projects. All of the projects are arranged by difficulty (starting from easy to hard) and list price, time required and variation ideas. And because I didn’t think projects were enough, we also created a DIY basics section that gives you the basics for building your own toolbox, a wide range of must-know skills (paint stripping, lamp wiring) and even a fantastic primer for my favorite- upholstery!

I’m going to dive into more of the book after the jump, but before that, there’s a summary of this week’s post highlights below. I hope you’ll join me after the jump for a look inside the book!

(Design*Sponge at Home is available for pre-order now, you can see more about the book here and watch the trailer on the same page) xo, grace

More previews of the D*S Book DIY Chapter after the jump…

Upholstery Tutorial excerpts from Design*Sponge at Home , Illustrations by Julia Rothman.

Wooden Display project from Design*Sponge at Home

Lined Valet project from Design*Sponge at Home

Veneer Sconce project from Design*Sponge at Home

Succulent Wall project from Design*Sponge at Home

Map covered boxes project from Design*Sponge at Home

Bleach-dyed towel/napkin project from Design*Sponge at Home

1. Cheryl says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE the valet box!!!

2. Heather says:

Love the slipcover idea!! As many reupholstery jobs are too intimidating, this looks like the perfect solution! Thanks! Pre-ordered? Check!

3. I love the lined valet! So masculine. The succulent wall is incredible too- I’ve wanted to do a vertical garden like that for ages. Can’t wait for the book!

4. Christine says:

oh wow! i love them all :) I have so many wood slices left over from my wedding, I’m totally going to make them into those little terrariums! eee!

5. Brett Bara says:

Looks amazing! I’m so into those veneer sconces. I have some hideous 1980’s sconces in my rental apartment that need to be COVERED UP.

6. Anni says:

This looks so amazing! Can’t wait to buy the book.

7. This blog is awesome, so glad I found it!

8. michelle says:

I’ve kept a wood flitch for SO long just waiting for the right project – I cannot WAIT to see how to do the veneer sconce project !

9. Sarah says:

Your blog (and now your book!) inspire on so many levels. Can’t wait for the release!

10. Leone says:

Well, dang! Looks like I’m going to have to break down and buy the book. I’ve been thinking about it but I can tell I NEED this book. The lined valet is gorgeous!

11. Leone says:

Couldn’t stand it. I pre-ordered the book.

12. Lisa says:

love love the bricks with chicks!

13. Jennifer says:

Looks great–I love the blend of dreaming and doing. You have perfect pitch when it comes to content, Grace.

14. Skylar Shaw says:

So much fun! Thanks for sharing your charming vision with us–can’t wait to get a copy (and some extras for gifts…)

15. Lisa D says:

Both the butterfly dome and wood display projects look fantastic (well, they all do, really). I’ve been obsessing lately about objects under glass, and did something similar to the butterfly with a piece of coral and a dome I found at the thrift store. Can’t wait to see the book!

16. Susan says:

Ok, you just sold another book! Awesome ideas!

17. Lucia Nardo says:

This site adds color to my day. Can’t wait for the book to arrive!

18. Slipcovers are really a relatively quick and inexpensive way to give new life to an upholstered piece.

19. Beth says:

Where can we see the tour schedule?

1. Grace Bonney says:

beth

its on the calendar on the d*s book page: http://designspongeonline.com/category/ds-book

just look on the right column and scroll to sept when the tour starts (it goes through december). details for each city will be up soon, but the dates/cities are there now.

grace

20. Alice says:

Yay just pre-ordered. Very excited for this to arrive!

21. Nicole says:

Just pre-ordered! I am so excited I’m not sure I can wait until December to get my book signed in Toronto! Are the dates finalized? If so, I’m going to book work off so I don’t miss you while you’re here :)

22. I’m so glad that I’ve preorder this book! It can’t get here fast enough!!!

23. Judy says:

Hello,
    Is there anyone can make it for me? all completed dome would be nice if it s oval. I will pay the whole cost. Thank you
    Best