sneak peek: peter dunham & linnea gits

Artist and design couple Peter Dunham and Linnea Gits run a design company in Chicago called Uusi that focuses on limited edition or one-off prints and objects for the home. They’ve lived in this Chicago home for 10 years. They try to keep the overall look simple, allowing the wood surfaces and collected objects to add warmth, color and interest. The resulting clean, modern space feels a bit like a subtle nod to the great Midwestern architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Thanks, Peter & Linnea! — Amy A.

Image above: We recently remodeled this space. Peter tore the walls out and replaced them with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves (there is a second one not shown, to the left of the one in the photo, that creates the entryway to the space). We had a lot of objects and books that were scattered all over, giving our place a cluttered feel. Turning these walls into bookshelves gathered all of these smaller objects up in a central place that is easy to access, focused and beautiful to look at. Peter made the dinning table and stools from old-growth, reclaimed Redwood that originally was used in water towers around the city. The tabletop is white laminate. Peter also made the planter on the table from the same wood. The hanging light is from Ikea. PAINT: Our entire space is painted with Benjamin Moore Atrium White. We think it’s the perfect white. It has just a touch of red in it, which gives it a fresh, modern warmth.

Image above: Hanging lamp is by Linnea Gits made from hammered, flattened nails.

Image above: This is one of the tiniest rooms in our place! To keep the room from feeling cramped, we painted it all white, kept the artwork to a minimum and have only the bed, nightstands and a small dresser in here. All our clothes hang in a walk-in closet in the hall. Bedspread from Missoni.

Image above: My mom’s bracelet and rings with a chunk of crystal on a plate from my grandma’s house. The stone is from Lake Michigan. The little bird we found on eBay.

Image above: Last spring we remodeled the kitchen. We decided to get rid of all the heavy overhead cabinetry and replace it with a hidden pantry and one single shelf that runs the length of the kitchen counter. All our day-to-day dishware is on this shelf and makes it so much easier to access it. Plus, it completely lightened up the look of the kitchen, making it a more enjoyable space to hang out and work in. Peter designed and built all the cabinetry from reclaimed old-growth Cypress that has such a beautiful grain and literally glows when the light hits it.

Image above: White farm sink from Ikea. Knife holder and cutting boards from Uusi.

Image above: Skylight

Image above: Sitting area off kitchen: Chair is Eames LCW. Sculpture by Linnea Gits. Hanging “Jolly Roger” flag from Uusi.

Image above: Our cat, Gün. She is not named after a weapon — though she is deadly cute. Gün is a female Nordic name pronounced “goon.”

1. jw says:

i love this house! so beautiful and simple, lovely natural light.

2. Heather says:

Wow! This home is so warm! I haven’t seen a kitchen like this one. I’m loving the clean lines and open feel!

3. denice says:

What a delightful, wet lit space with a wonderful sense of serene living. I love the kitchen sink and open cabinets. My favourite items in this home are the Jolly Roger flag and the light above the desk in image two.

4. Sarah says:

I love it, particularly the kitchen and that adorable cat!

5. wendy says:

interesting. lovely. relaxing.

6. lovely spaces. Gorgeous design. Mostly love the farmhouse sink!

7. Love all the wood – gorgeous work!

8. Neada B says:

I love all the wood craft, but I love Gun the best!

9. libby says:

i like the white desk chair. any idea where is it from?

10. Thant hanging lamp is my favorite!!!

11. Awesome kitchen! So clean lined and architecture. Love it.

12. Elaine says:

What a beautiful home — proof that less really is more. I’ve never liked wooden kitchens, but yours is to die for!

13. Tania says:

The kitchen and the calico are lovely.

14. Leone says:

Lovely. It’s light and sleek, yet cozy. I really like all the different textures.

15. Sandy says:

Great place! Where is the El Gallo print in the kitchen from? Love it!

16. JOJO W says:

love this house!!!!!!

17. Tracey says:

A beautiful space – love the dining furniture – I’m a big fan of furniture and joinery made from reclaimed timbers.

18. Liz says:

Oh my god…that kitchen is great!….Lovely style. Thanks for letting us see a bit.

19. The kitchen is amazing. I absolutely love the exposed single shelf as it makes the kitchen feel very lightweight and modern. I have never seen this before in Cypress wood and it is divine!!

20. jordan says:

i rarely see kitchens that i covet; yours is absolutely stunning. your entire place is really, but that kitchen is going into an inspiration folder. thanks for sharing.

21. marie says:

please let me know where you got those stools from. Thank you

22. Rebecca C. says:

A-mazing! Their home is just stunning. I love that everything is made from reclaimed wood. And love the paint tip. I’m going back to white on my walls and this shade just might do it!

23. Linnea says:

Hi Marie,

The stools are by Alvar Aalto and we got them from Artek.

24. mila says:

this minimalist space is beautiful and warm. thanks for showing that restrained and well-edited space can be so inviting

25. isla says:

love, love, love. but the sculpture… yikes

26. sonhaji says:

wow so cuteeeeeee..
    but why there should be a cat photo?

27. charlene says:

fresh and warm and beautiful!

28. charlene says:

love that wall of built-ins!

29. dat phu quoc says:

The kitchen and the calico are warm and beautiful!

30. That is one of the most unusual home offices I’ve seen – clever use of accessories take it way above the conventional

31. Doug Salvon says:

For the open shelf in the kitchen, how did you make the bottom shelf weight-bearing? There don’t appear to be any brackets or supports below the shelf.

32. I love it, particularly the kitchen and that adorable cat!

33. Shonda Bashir says:

Hi, I to have cypress cabinets and can’t figure out what to cover them with. I’ve tried linseed oil on my cypress table, however it leaves no shine. Would you please share with me what you used to finish your cabinetry!

Shonda Bashir