sneak peek: hillary petrie of egg collective

To enter this light, airy New Orleans apartment, visitors must pass through a small communal gate, then a beautiful shared courtyard and finally onto this bright space. Each apartment in the complex has a porch overlooking the courtyard, and it’s the perfect place to wind down after a long day. Egg Collective designer, Hillary Petrie, has lived in this charming Southern apartment with her roommate, architect John Kleinschmidt, for nearly four years. It’s proven to be the perfect retreat from their busy lives. I love seeing shared spaces that prove that living with roommates doesn’t mean sacrificing style. Thanks, Hillary & John! — Amy A.

Image above: The butcher-block prep table came out of a hotel kitchen in St. Louis, Missouri, and is perfect for entertaining — it’s where people tend to congregate. It also weighs nearly 300 pounds! This portion of a porcelain sign seems to be the result of a business name-change — I assume they removed the “Inc.,” and kept the rest. I picked this up at my favorite New Orleans thrift store, the Bargain Center. The wooden chair belongs to my roommate, John Kleinschmidt, and I love its detail. His father salvaged, refinished and caned the piece, as well as a similar one in the workroom.

Image above: The bed is DWR “Min,” and the blue dresser is one of my favorite thrift store finds — it came from an old girls’ boarding school.

The full sneak peek continues after the jump!

Image above: This is my favorite room in the house, as all the doors can be opened to welcome the lovely courtyard below. Photograph by Andy Sternad

Image above: My prized Zulu coconuts are displayed on the credenza — they are a coveted throw each year in the Zulu Mardi Gras parade. Wall art is Algue by Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec. The orange chair is another thrift store find and, according to a plaque on the underside, came out of a Church’s Chicken office!

Image above: This vignette features my roommate John Kleinschmidt’s collection of lovely objects: The white tile is from the Alvar Aalto museum in Jyväskylä, Finland. He brought it back after traveling all over Scandinavia and Finland. The tiles are called “halla,” the Finnish word for “frost.” The original tiles started detaching from the building and had to be replaced — this is one of the originals and is a reminder of how incredible the tiles looks in the low Nordic light. The clay tile is from the roof of a building in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana, that John is currently working on with his architecture firm. It’s a Ludowici tile, stamped from their Chicago factory in the 1920s. They still make tiles, and John’s firm will use them in their renovation. The giant light bulb was rescued from this same building. John also rescued the orange chair from a school auditorium renovation. The artwork is mine.

Image above: Photograph by Andy Sternad

Image above: The mirror is an Egg piece, and the chair I recently fell in love with. I can’t decide if its ugly or whimsical, but I adore it nonetheless. It’s very feminine in its design and scale, and everyone who sits in it loves it, too.

Image above: Photograph by Andy Sternad

Image above: This is a lovely place to end all dinner parties.

1. Ronnie Wilson says:

Again, any idea where to get the orange fabric on the window in the bedroom? I’m drooling….

2. Megg says:

Being a New Orleanian, I was shocked to see Zulu coconuts in a home in Iceland. That is AWESOME! Besides that, beautiful home. I’m jealous. Laissez le bon temps rouler!

3. Megg says:

I’m an idiot. I was scrolling through my email and thought this was a continuation of the house in Iceland. Now the cocounuts make more sense. Sorry!

4. Lilly says:

The lighting IS magnificent!!! Oh to spend an afternoon on that terrace! Lovely lovely home! Thanks for sharing:)

5. Hillary says:

Hi Mel and Ronnie! The yellow rug is IKEA and the bedroom curtains are Anthropologie “Aspen Sunset.”

6. wendy says:

Amazing amount of light. I love the room with the plants. Lovely home!

7. Maggie says:

I love the grey couch, where is it from?!

8. moonpie says:

ohhh, that porch makes me SOOO homesick!!!

9. Susan Goudail says:

OMG!!!! Our little Melrose Place…oh, I mean Second Street! I LOVE what you have done, Hillary. Can we use these for future rentals? I’ll tell potential tenants to go to you for design. FABULOUS. We miss you, Hillary!

10. Hillary says:

Hi Maggie! The sofa is Gus* Modern’s “Blake Loft.”

11. sonhaji says:

This design is well suited to my learning activities .. as a student

12. jennifer says:

hi! great place! would love to find a place like this when i move to nola in jan!

13. amy says:

i love that huge rug (yellow/cream). where did you find it?

14. Berglind says:

Such a beautiful home! Love how the light flows around the apartment!

15. What a wonderful home. I especially love the butcher block table, that fabulous blue dresser, and the AMAZING porch. Thanks for the gorgeous sneak peek! :)

16. m.way says:

Among the clean white surroundings there are pops of color which really show some personality! What a great place to live!

17. Bettie says:

I love it. So classy and comfy.

18. ANDi says:

It feels like you can really breathe in this space. Can’t wait to see your new apt. All your pieces are fabulous! Great Job! BTW, the “ugly” chair is in no way “ugly” I love it!

19. Dorothyloretta Scott says:

I love every room the hardwood floors and light all through the home, the plants, so fresh looking and clean its what I am trying to bring into my home.just love it all.

20. Suzanne Knighten says:

I love your home! I live in Shreveport and I so wish I lived in Nawlins!

21. Sara says:

I am in love. That light. That space. WOW.