sneak peek: armin blasbichler

On a recent trip to Italy, London-based writer and founding editor of Domestic Sluttery, Sian Meades, had the opportunity to visit Armin Blasbichler’s home in South Tyrol. Designed to look like the ubiquitous log stacks in local fields, Sian thought the home would be a perfect peek for Design*Sponge readers. Since she was the one to actually step through the doors, we’re going to let her take it away. Thanks, Sian! — Amy A.

Photography: Ingrid Heiss

Across South Tyrol in northern Italy, log stacks (or “musls,” as they’re known locally) sit in fields across the lush landscape. Ever since architect Armin Blasbichler was a child, he had the idea to build a house that looked just like the log stacks and let the home blend into the scenery that he had grown up with. The result is der Muslhaufen, which sits in Lüsen, not far from the Dolomites. — Sian

Image above: Armin lives with his wife and two young boys, and the design of the house is so playful. Doors covered in light switches to confuse visitors and doors within doors for the children to use; everything has a fun element to it. This door has little Pantone reference panels for every color they can see in the nature around them.

Image above: There are even doors on the ceiling!

The full sneak peek continues after the jump!

Image above: Throughout the house, Armin uses natural light and bright colours. Light shines through the gaps in the logs to make beautiful patterns throughout the house.

1. Ting says:

what a great place!

2. Holly says:

How gorgeous. I always love when architects design houses to flow into the specific environment and I’m touched that the reason for this choice is also based on a childhood love and connection to the landscape. Beautiful in thought and execution!

3. SJ says:

Wow, termites is all i can think, but i live in Australia so it would be something to consider prior to building! But wow all the same!

4. Rinna says:

Beeeeeeeeeeeautiful, not only do the owners get to live in the Tyrol but in that house too! Lucky lucky lucky. how on earth could I recreate that pantone door? It is like a church for designers, a stained glass window. I am not sure what he has used to do this – can you do one of those DIY things on a door like that please D*S?

5. Please Note says:

This house is amazing. I can’t get over the pantone reference door!

6. Elaine says:

SJ, termites aren’t much of an issue in the European mountains. :-)

I like this house a lot, but I agree with Joseph that it seems more of a gimmick than a house which is actually inhabited. For this reason I enjoyed watching the video to which Gretchen and Joseph linked, because it shows a slice of everyday life in the house. I highly recommend watching the video if you want a proper appreciation for the place!

7. Geena says:

This house is so wonderful! The doors nearly made me cry I love them so much!!

8. Steff says:

This is more like it! True aesthetic-ism. The log ceiling in the bathroom is hot!!! More like this please!!!

9. Tiia says:

This is definitely one of the most amazing homes I’ve ever seen! And I myself can’t see really any reason why one couldn’t live in a house like this. Too conseptual… not in my mind :)

AND I would love too to see a DIY instructions for that door, if you happen to have any…!

10. Tamisha says:

Amazingly cool home. Is that a pull out baby crib in the dining room area? And what’s the scientific significance of the art/light installation in the bathroom? Fascinating house.

11. kimmi siren says:

Just another way the USA is being left behind!!

Ingenious this may be, but it’s not so unusual in Europe.

Their whole idea of life and living is to move forward, preserving the past but making sure their IS a future for our world. In the states all we seem to do is bicker and hold up progress with the meaningless Historical ( read hysterical ) Societies, absurd policies and a very antiquated ideas of Mc Mansions, ( yes these energy hogs are still popping up everywhere!!- crying now :(

Have we have learned nothing ..we head down the road of Caesar. ( I exclude Portland oregon in this- they’re like a mini Europe in America ).
    Our greed, lack of education and innovation and actually producing stuff will sooner ( not later ) see us loose our beautiful land to ..well maybe I better stop.

Stunning home!

12. Sian says:

Wow, so many comments! I’m so pleased you guys like the house. It’s a really amazing space, and given the design features, it’s still homely. The focus is very much on playing, and the kids (and indeed adults) having fun. The way the house incorporates family values shows real warmth to me – the house is built on a plot of land that has been in the family for generations, and the mailboxes outside are for every single member of the family past and present.

As for the termites and heating issues – the house is deceptive and is actually made of glass. The logs are over the top of it!

13. So c-o-o-l and beeeutiful at the same time THANK You
    now off to that video!

14. callmefaye says:

This house is so unique! I love the doors, the natural light and shadow and all the materials!

15. Craig says:

Superb place! The interior walls are slightly too rough, for me.

16. Connie P. says:

This house is a lab and has much to consider. Lots of wonderful ideas; the pantone door, doors within doors , the consideration of the joining of two different homes, just the location! Thanks Joseph and Gretchen for the video. It helps to explain the intention behind the design. Thank you Design Sponge for showing more inspiring ideas from around the world !

17. I recently purchased a little art plaque that instructs: “Live Inside Your Heaven” — this wonderful home seems to have been created with that in mind. It is not only beautiful and surprising and fun to look at, it must be the creator’s vision of paradise for himself and his family. Mailboxes for all the family members both past and present? How fantastic. Best of all, this post has inspired me to think of ways to lovingly create more little pockets of ‘heaven’ for all of us right here in my own home. It all starts with a vision and a sense of magic, which this visionary architect certainly has.

18. Laura says:

wow, so fresh and magical. The shutters acting as skylights blew me away!

19. What a wild, magical space! It’s serene, and playful….I love every inch of it. Especially the crazy doors. Thanks for the ‘peek’. :^)

Heidi

20. Kimberly H says:

Wow~ Love it!

21. Erika says:

I want a pantone door! The light filters beautifully!

22. sonhaji says:

design of this house looks so natural.
    I really like that design ..
    hehe..

23. Susan says:

Cut a tree, build a home! Great imagination.

24. Sonja says:

I’d like to know the source of the silver butcher block topped kitchen drawer units. Amazing home. Love the pantone door. Beautiful.

25. Shel says:

Oh Sian! If only we could all play this much! So warm and thoughtful. You are leaving a family legacy of home. I can hear the delightful giggles of your children here. I really can! And that, to me, says it all. THanks D*S.

26. Charlene says:

hahahaha! what a CRAZY house! i love it!!!

27. Lizzy says:

Just goes to show spaces can be seriously beautiful when you don’t take yourself so seriously. This home makes me chuckle.

28. Sarah says:

What a beautiful place. The Pantone stained glass-esque door is the so brilliant and beautiful. I don’t think I’ve ever been jealous of a door before.

29. yhoti says:

I love the creative, witty design – it makes your mind race with ideas

30. E. Llinares says:

Doors within doors! How whimsy!!! Love it!

31. Susan thompson says:

I know the door was made of Pantone reference guide.they appear to be transparent.
    Can you help me source these.
    I see many pantone options,but they appear to be paper chips or strips.
    Could you at least help me with the specific name of the guide he used.
    Thanks

32. Lu says:

What a unique home, wow! Very inspiring and beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

33. Julie says:

I did a quick google search on the Pantone slides–Pantone has a plastics transparent color book, it’s almost $1600, if they used it they may have mounted each into a slide holder…but I’m not going to buy a $1600 book! DesignSponge, please find a way to recreate that door , inexpensively!