sneak peek: amie weitzman’s NYC townhouse

by

We continue our special double peek with a look at interior designer Amie Weitzman’s NYC brownstone. Amie bought the townhouse in what she calls the Upper Upper West Side five years ago. They did a gut renovation and added some modern elements while maintaining the original brownstone character. They opened up the back of the building and added a double-height glass window to maximize the natural light. Additionally, they white-washed all the original dark oak details on the main floor and put in wide-plank Douglas Fir flooring throughout the house. The result is the exact vibe they wanted, stripping out the formality and making for a cozy family home. Special thanks to John Gruen for the amazing photography and tip about Amie’s place, and James Leland Day for the great styling! — Anne

Image above: The kitchen with artwork from the Pierogi Gallery.

Image above: This is the master bedroom with nightstand by Holly Hunt and artwork by Kiki Smith from Pace Prints. The paint color is Tapestry Beige, OC-32, by Benjamin Moore.

Amie’s townhouse continues after the jump . . .

Image above: Dining room with table by CA Atelier, chairs by Modernica and artwork by Shelley Adler.

Image above: This is the desk area in the kitchen. The desk chair is Cherner, the side chair is Modernica and the side table is Ikea. The wall above the desk is painted with chalkboard paint, and the pinboard is galvanized metal.

Image above: The living room with more artwork by Shelley Adler and vintage chairs from Duane Antiques.

Image above: This wall in the living room is covered with built-ins. The table is Mondo Cane.

Image above: The staircase.

Image above: Maya’s bedroom with a rug from my Amie Weitzman Collection, and the bedspread is Marimekko. The paint color is Whispering Spring, 2136-70, by Benjamin Moore.

Image above: Another view of the kitchen with Knoll barstools. The chairs around the table are Cherner chairs, and the rug under the table is Chilewich.

Image above: The entrance hall with wallpaper by Elitis.

1. Biscuit says:

That house is incredible! I love how modern it is without getting rid of any of the awesome original feel… Maya’s room is so charming and I’m always impressed by a wall covered in books! Love love love this house! =)

2. That staircase blows me away! I LOVE IT TO PIECES!!!! Beeeea-u-ti-ful!!

3. Elise says:

Gorgeous house! I love the artwork and built in cabinets.

4. great idea to put the piano in the stairwell!

5. Haley says:

What an insanely gorgeous house!!!! The kitchen is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

6. This house is amazing. Gorgeous neutral palette & quirky elements. Love it!

7. Anna Louise says:

I’m having major Kiki Smith envy, I see a couple of them.

8. Emily says:

wow. that kitchen is to die for. the whole thing is!

9. Heather says:

This home is absolutely stunning! The detail of the staircase, those gorgeous vintage chairs in the living room, and the artwork in the kitchen are among a few of my favorites. Beyond words beautiful, love the attention to detail.

-Heather

10. tiffany says:

taht bookcase – wall is super!

11. J says:

bookcase, desk—so much to draw inspiration from!

12. ta says:

love those large paintings!

13. kimdcarter says:

Entrance hall is stunning!

14. Beautiful home! Love the mix of vintage and modern. Love the sofa in your living room. Is that a vintage piece or something I can find? We are currently painting an entire house inside and out. The tapestry beige is on my list, so nice to see in an entire room. You have some of my favorite chairs as well. :)

15. Futality says:

so great! I love all these photos!

16. jenny says:

Beautiful house — thank you for sharing! I love the one-armed sofa, where did it come from? Tx!!

17. leah houston says:

can anyone tell me a bit about the amazing bistro door/glass garage door(?) in the second last photo? want to do something similar in my place but worried about weather (i live in toronto). nyc is somewhat similar…

18. Shasta says:

Wow, staircase! Yes, yes!

19. Oh what a beautiful and eclectic mix! Just lovely ;)

20. cvjn says:

I saved every picture from this Sneak Peek. I don’t think that’s ever happened before. Everything is spectacular. I’ll be back again and again to look at this one!

21. crowdSPRING says:

Wow it was awesome… They opened up the back of the building and added a double-height glass window to maximize the natural light. ..The painting in the dining room and the bedroom both both are superb..Thanks

22. I love all of the original artwork in this space and the built-ins are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

23. Beth Belkin says:

Absolutely breathtaking…

24. Eileen says:

Any info about the wall shelves that the artwork in the living room is on?

25. andrea says:

Love, love, love the paint in the hallway at the staircase! What is the color/make? Great renos and I love how she kept some of the classic features of the townhome.

26. KelliJ says:

I want my home to look and feel just like this! This home is so beautiful.

27. Ann says:

It’s really lovely.

28. Sue says:

Do you know who the artist is in the first shot? I’m in LOVE with that painting!

29. Sandra says:

where can I can find a bed canopy like the one in Maya’s bedroom?

30. Meriem says:

That is some Townhouse! Wow. Love the kitchen but mostly the built in bookcase covering the whole wall. Would love one of these!

31. Clotilde M. says:

That built-in bookcase is the thing for me. I have soooo many books!

32. Rach says:

Wow!!! I adore the combination of the whites and whispery colors paired with the color pops from the paintings and other bits about the place! Lovely!!! And being a canopy lover myself I want to know where that one is from, it’s so sweet it that room.

33. Annie says:

Love this house!! Anyone knows where the mounted lamps in the master bedroom aré from? I’ve been trying to find something similar, and not pricy!
    Please help!

34. Eva says:

what an amazing staircase.

35. kristin says:

gorgeous home! the print in the kitchen is stunning! the perfect bed canopy! i love it all!

36. anonymous says:

the last image: I WANT.

37. andrea says:

everything is so fun and I would die live in those rooms! `

38. Nina says:

where did they get that amazing piece behind the breakfast table? Is that just a beautiful piece of paper? love.

ninasaraa.blogspot.com

39. Laura says:

I would love to know who the artist of the piece in the first shot, as well. I clicked all around Pierogi’s site to no avail :(

40. seema says:

Gorgeous home! Ready to move in ;-)!

41. Lisa says:

I too am interested in getting information on the piece in the first shot! Do tell!

42. Rebecca says:

The home is absolutely gorgeous, but why do you refer to where she lives as “what she calls the Upper West Side”? The Upper West Side is a neighborhood of Manhattan. That’s like saying she lives in what she calls, New York City.

That said, would she come over to my Upper West Side apartment and make it just as beautiful for what I like to call, no budget? :)

43. This is stunning – wish I was as talented as Amie. Want that dinning table too! Not sure I can get is in Australia.

44. meredith ashworth says:

piece in the kitchen looks to be Reed Anderson, Pierogi Gallery

45. sonhaji says:

wow
    This painting the human head is very scary
    i don’t like this painting..
    hehe..

46. WFG says:

Well I love the interior..It is incredible.. The detail of the staircase, those gorgeous vintage chairs in the living room, and the artwork in the kitchen are among a few of my favorites. Beyond words beautiful, love the attention to detail.

47. PetCareRx says:

One of my favorite homes so far. I like how the white kept interesting by giving it a lot of texture, and I LOVE the shelving instead of kitchen cabinets. Also, I give major props to anyone who can make a children’s room look so stylish.