matt shlian for ghostly

I’m a big, big fan of Matt Shlian’s work. An MFA graduate from Cranbrook, Matt is both a teacher and creator of some pretty spectacular paper art. He recently finished a project with Ghostly that is just stunning. He did a series of raised tessellation pieces that look so pretty I think I’d be too scared to touch them for fear of damaging the beautiful details. Matt has several of these tessellation pieces for sale at Ghostly right now ($125–$200 each), so if you’re looking for some visual inspiration (or new artwork for your home), click here to check out the full series. xo, grace

More images after the jump . . .

1. These are stunning. I can’t believe this is all done with paper!

2. I love the juxtaposition of simplicity/complexity.

3. Sam says:

Now that’s gorgeous.

4. These are so pleasing. I am wondering if they are treated or protected somehow from yellowing over time? I would recommend these to a daring client if I could assure them that their new, funky art would last and is easy to dust gently! Thanks for sharing :)

5. Ah, paper… Crisp and white…

6. Robin Baron says:

How cool! Unbelievable it is all done with paper!

7. m shilan says:

Thanks for the post Grace! They are made with acid free and archival materials.

8. Trix says:

These pieces remind me of snow or ice, I feel like I could stare at them for hours! Amazing tessellation work.

9. Steve says:

Amazing stuff! As a scientist it reminds me of some cystals forming, it looks really nice.

10. Andrea says:

These are incredible.

11. Jodi Roberts says:

amazingly beautiful. consider me inspired.

12. Doug Bartow says: