Try as I might, I cannot seem to grasp even the most basic of feminine beauty rituals. I’m constantly struggling to master rudimentary hair and makeup techniques, and my one-time foray into the “subtle” art of perfume left everyone in the room with burning nostrils.
This DIY solid perfume locket from artisanal perfumer Mandy Aftel is something I can definitely stand behind, though. Mandy only uses pure and natural ingredients to create her perfumes, and this solid scent can be easily applied with no risk of over-dousing. The old pocket watch appeals to my tomboy side, and I love its versatility; you can wear it as a necklace or pin, or simply tuck it into your pocket or purse. I can’t wait to make one and give my feminine sensibilities a little boost :) Thanks for sharing this tutorial with us, Mandy! — Kate
Read the full how-to after the jump!
Creating your own solid perfume is extremely satisfying. One of the joys of having a solid fragrance is that you can easily carry it with you, or even wear it on your body in a locket, without worrying about it spilling. I like to make perfume in small and beautiful containers that grow more precious and treasured with use. You can enjoy the experience of applying a solid perfume unobtrusively throughout the day in an earthy and sensual ritual that is quite different from dabbing on a liquid perfume. Solid perfume will scent only you, not the environment around you. — Mandy
- 1 1/2 tsp. jojoba oil (available at whole foods and natural grocery stores)
- 7 drops frankincense essential oil (you can get some of Mandy’s essential oils here)
- 7 drops of ylang ylang essential oil
- 5 drops fresh ginger essential oil
- 6 drops wild sweet orange essential oil
- heaping 1/2 tsp. grated beeswax (available here)
- eyedroppers (available at drug stores)
- small nonmetal pan for melting wax
- shot glass or small cup
- small compact or pillbox for finished perfume
1. Pour jojoba oil into the shot glass. Add the drops of all four essential oils to the jojoba oil and stir.
2. Melt the heaping 1/2 teaspoon of beeswax.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the jojoba/perfume blend.
4. Reheat for just 10 seconds, stirring.
5. Immediately pour the mixture into your container.
6. Let cool undisturbed for 15 minutes.