DIY best of: office

The office is one my favorite “rooms” in the house because so often it’s not even a room— it’s a converted closet, a dining table working double duty, or a well-organized nook. I love seeing how people customize their homes to make room for a workspace that suits their needs, and I can say from personal experience that nothing beats working in an organized setting, even if it’s not officially an office. Here are 13 of our our favorite office-related DIY projects to help you organize and decorate your own workspace. No office is complete without a bit of personalization, and these DIY desks, storage pieces, and decorative office accessories are a great place to start. Enjoy, and happy working! —Kate

Image above: Maggi’s minimalist floating oak desk is perfect for setting up office in small spaces.

12 More office-related DIY projects after the jump!

Image above: Adorable fabric covered thumbtacks from DIY expert Jessica Jones.

Image above: Get your papers in order with Derek and Lauren’s days-of-the-week folders.

Image above: Brittni’s cork containers provide a great surface for keeping photos and inspiration images while also providing a spot for flowers, pencils, and other knick-knacks.

Image above: Derek and Lauren’s recycled inside-out security envelopes are prettier than most new envelopes on the market, and cost nothing!

Image above: Katherine Jalaty’s lovely vintage fabric file folders.

Image above:  Document your travels— be it future dream plans or previous trips— on Halligan’s corkboard travel map.

Image above: Chris Gardener’s awesome hand printed mouse pads.

Image above: More great ideas from Jessica Jones—fabric covered office supplies.

Image above: Start off the beginning of the next tax year right with this colorful air mail envelope book.

Image above: Add a little love to your desk with these simple to make heart-shaped paper clips.

Image above: Use an old painting to create an artful magnet board to store your notes and pictures.

Image above: Casey’s wallpaper covered file cabinet.

1. FYI: The “click here” for more link on this post isn’t working

2. e says:

my recent office improvement: nasty old filing cabinet spray-painted w rustoleum gold metallic paint, and a handsome silk tassel attached to the cabinet key. voila! who knew a person could love a filing cabinet so much?!

3. I love the minimalism of the floating desk —maybe in another life, one where I don’t need vast spaces for the spreading, and the gluing, and the sewing.

The inside-out envelopes are a great idea!!

4. Brandy says:

Great ideas — really like the cork containers, the business envelopes idea was brilliant, and the wall paper file cabinet is a nice touch to improve on something ordinary, but I especially love that you tossed the McMenamin’s Hotel Oregon coaster on the magnetic board… good times and great memories.

5. Relish Home says:

Great ideas, I am definitely going to “borrow” the file cabinet idea. I have been trying to decide what to do with my ugly old black file to make it look pretty! I love functional pieces that look great too. Thanks again DS!

6. js says:

I have been turning all of my paper clips into hearts ever since that DIY was originally posted. It absolutely makes my day every time I see one.

7. Courtney says:

I really like the cork containers. Anything that serves a dual purpose is a favorite of mine!

8. Katy Kristin says:

LOVE the fabric covered office supplies! Gonna have to borrow that idea for my studio. I have a stapler that could really use a facelift.

9. Cork containers! Heart Paper clips! I’m going to D the DIY!!!

10. Julienne says:

Love the floating desk. What kind of chair is paired with that?

11. Kristen says:

I want that floating desk……drooling…..

12. Amy says:

Love all of these projects. Thank you so much for sharing! Bookmarking and pinning!

13. Zsa Zsa says:

Totally dig the hanging desk and those cork containers! :)

14. This is a truly great post! Thanks so much for sharing all these things :)

15. These are all fabulous. I feel so inspired.

16. Marisol T. says:

This was one of the best DS posts I’ve read in awhile – and that says a lot given the daily competition of amazing content. I love that these are all easy to do and applicable to so many! Thanks for sharing these great ideas!

17. Susan Hazel says:

Love this post, especially the magnet board idea!

18. Grace says:

Wow, lot’s of great ideas here!

19. Dennis says:

Maggie, I love the desk. Great use of space.

20. Sarah says:

Love the desk – and the chair is a cantilver style, comfortable for working but could be used in a living or dining area.

21. Mary says:

Just such a simple twist make such a difference in the paper clips.

22. Ramya says:

I don’t like this…I love this!!! Such cute projects…office would sure become much more fun this way! Especially love the binder clips….

23. Johnatan says:

the floating desk is great, I just saw the guid maybe I’m going to make me one