carmageddon-inspired diy

I love it when forced downtime produces something creative. Last week I couldn’t look at Twitter without seeing the hashtag #carmageddon (which didn’t end up being as bad as everyone expected), so I was curious to see how it would all work out. Luckily for a few people who chose to stay home and avoid the traffic, it turned into something fantastic. D*S reader Holly used her downtime to create her own hand-painted version of the classic David Hicks hexagon wallpaper. I love it when people tackle things with their own two hands, so it’s great to see a weekend where everyone panicked about cars result in such a gorgeous room. xo, grace

*Did anyone else use their carmageddon weekend to do something creative? I’d love to see what other projects people tackled with their no-car time . . .

1. Biscuit says:

I love this! It’s so nice to have an excuse to spend some quality time with yourself or your space… carmageddon was a blessing in disguise!

Yay for Holly, her bedroom looks so beautiful and she must be SO proud! =)

2. One of the best wall stencil jobs I’ve ever seen — with her beautiful furniture.

3. Absolute stunner! I wish I could hire her to do decorative painting on my jobs. The entire room looks great!!

4. awesome wall! how amazing was it that for the first time in what seems like FOREVER there was no traffic in LA? amazing and so relaxing. xxo

5. What a glamorous bedroom! I love the painted wall and that headboard is dreamy!

6. This looks fabulous. I love the whole room!

7. Kate O says:

Wow, gorgeous! Looks like it was a real labor of love – emphasis on labor, with all that taping – but well worth the effort!

8. Katie says:

Ohmygosh that’s BEAUTIFUL!!!

9. WOW. This looks like a LOT of work, but so worth it. The result is fabulously glamorous.

10. Jeanell says:

This would be a beautiful quilt too!

11. hena tayeb says:

This is gorgeous.. so upscale. Love it

12. Holy moley — the amount of work!!! It is so beautiful. I am obsessed with graphic pattern walls right now. My v good friend recently did her bedroom in tonal shades of light blue & gray. It’s gorg. Mind you – she’s a designer and created her own pattern too. STUNNING.
    I’m not sure I have the patience.
    – Carrie

13. Where did you get the stencil, btw? Or did you cut your own?

14. I didn’t hear anything about this “carmageddon” until now. I got a good laugh reading all the opportunists that popped up selling things like $400 helicopter rides over the highway! :)

I want to know what music (if any) Holly listened to when working on this to maintain motivation during such a tedious process; hard work pays off though, it looks beautiful.

15. s.s. says:

Those are the most lovely, soothing (and fabulous) colors. I’d love to know what they are. What kind of paint was used, and in what colors?

16. chrisiec says:

WOW, I so appreciate those who are able to have the patience to take on something like that, that ends up being so beautiful. It’s really awesome! Great work. There’s seems a cool texture that’s going on that makes it especially interesting.

17. Niki says:

This is beautiful! Where is the bedside chest of cabinets from?

18. Kat says:

OMG! Got enough time on your hands?? ;) I love it, but would not have the patience to pull it off. BTW – my brother is a crane operator on that site. Crazy LA media hyping it up. Totally was no big deal at all. Keep up the awesome work! Thanks!

19. Darby says:

i need to know where you got that fabulous bed/headboard?

20. Gretchen says:

Ooh, I did something like this in my old kitchen! Wish I had taken more pictures of it! One of the hardest parts of leaving that apartment!

21. Marika says:

I wish I had the attention span for this! Amazing.

22. sallie kate says:

Wow, that’s intense. I think you should definitely steam this off and take it with you if you ever have to move :)

23. hi! thanks for the great comments! if you want to see the step by step of how i did it you can visit my blog …. also, i updated with a new post today answering questions on paint colors and stencil template we created… NIKI the bedside cabinets are from Z Gallerie (funny enough Neiman Marcus carries some from the same manufacturer for triple the price!)…

24. Lisa says:

Do the walls have texture or did you paint over wall paper?

25. Evita says:

Utter perfection!

26. holly says:

lisa- the walls of my apartment have a crazy deep texture so that is what you are seeing. it is not paint over wallpaper.

27. Emme says:

WOW! The top photo looks like something I would see in Metropolitan Home or Elle Decor. I think you just found yourself another interesting biz opportunity. Yay Holly.

28. Julia Elena says:

I love what you did with the wall! The lamp is a very exquisite touch!

29. Oh my goodness. This is beautiful! So intricate…so much patience req’d. I’m totally impressed.
    Ps. This may make me seem completely Canadian and Clueless, but what’s this thing about Carmaggedon?

30. wow that must have taken a lot of patience! It makes the whole room look so put together!

31. wow, this looks truly like wallpaper – impressive! why don’t they make cool stencils like this? i have gone to every craft store in the entire NYC area and all i find is damask or floral stencils. i want to do something cool like this!

32. This looks fabulous! I love the gold paint. Great work!

33. Wow, gorgeous! Looks like a ton of work…but it paid off! Anyone know where the headboard is from?

34. Michelle says:

Now that I’ve seen this headboard, I can’t think about anything else and I know I can never have it! I’m in the market for one right now and I so wish this one was mine!!!

35. susan g says:

WOW u go girl!!!! I thought i had patience but you have 10000 x’s more than I. I have some strange texture on my walls too and its in every room of my house I thunk it was a 50’s thing since thats when my house was built. I tried to do some stensiling and the paint ran under each little groove and I hd to go back and retouch by hand. UGH! Keep up the good work honey ur a natural.