before & after: pendant light + floral studio makeover

When Sarah first sent in images of the pendant lamp she made from old exhaust fans, I was excited to see more. I had no idea, however, that they were just part of a much larger production — the amazing renovation of this small floral studio. In addition to the light fixtures, which turned out wonderfully, Sarah brought warmth, sophistication and color into this space with some very well chosen details and all for a very reasonable budget. Wonderful work, Sarah! — Kate

{All “after” images courtesy of Kate Osborne and Yan Photography}

Read more about Sarah’s floral studio and pendant lamps after the jump!

Time: 2 months

Cost: $1200 total ($21 for each light fixture)

Basics Steps: When I got the space, it was a plumbing shop that had moldy carpet, fake paneling on the walls, warped ceiling tiles with florescent lights and a machine that makes noises to scare away rats in the basement. I wanted the finished space to be fairly minimal and utilitarian because the floral business is a messy one. We ripped up the carpet, ripped off the paneling, drywalled the ceiling and some of the walls. We tiled the counter and put a concrete top on it. We laid reclaimed wood flooring in the front of the space where I meet my clients and a laminate floor in my workspace. We built the Brick House galvanized pipe shelf and a working counter, and a friend and I painted a floral mural on the front wall to mimic wallpaper. It was a tight budget, but I tried to be very resourceful and make anything I could myself. I think restricting myself forced me to be more creative, and I am really happy with the way it turned out. — Sarah

1. Bree says:

I’m obsessed with your lamps! Please oh please provide us a step by step how to! Your space is amazing!!

2. Van says:

Amazing! I love the vintage crates. I wonder where I could get my hands on some..

3. Wow, you are very artistic. Thanks for sharing!

4. Anne says:

Love it!! I could be so happy designing in that studio. And such a creative idea to use the exhaust fans for lighting. Beautiful! Great job!

5. Debbie says:

How great is tht space! Well thought out and the result is charming! Good Luck and may your business prosper! Debbie

6. Laura says:

holy moly! fantastic!

7. Stephie says:

So so gorgeous – I love it! Happy weekend, Stephie x

8. Andrea says:

Wow, what an incredible transformation!

9. mindy says:

Stunning! LOVE it all.

10. Astrid says:

thanks for the inspiration! my fiance owns a nursery and we were thinking of renovating the old floral studio but weren’t quite sure how to do it. thank you so much for showing us how it can be done and that we can do it, too :)

11. Sarah says:

This is so inspiring! I love it. Amazing to see what you can do with such a small space. Awesome work!

12. nikasha says:

What an amazing makeover. It looks gorgeous now!

13. Chloé says:

I hope one day you’ll come to paris and makeover my place !
    LOVE your work !

14. SS says:

the site is hard to navigate.. unless I’m missing something. After each article it has several thumbnail photos that I can’t enlarge by clicking and it says ‘more info after the jump’ but after the jump it just goes to the next story entry. I have to click on the category, such as “Before & After” to actual read the full article and see all the photos. cumbersome. Just some feedback – hope it helps.

1. Grace Bonney says:

please watch the “welcome” video to see how to use the site.

the “more info” link doesn’t go to the next entry, it goes to the full version of the post. if that’s not happening there’s a localized glitch- just shoot me an email so i can help you troubleshoot.

15. melinda says:

am I the only on missing the old basic blog formats not just here, but all over the place? Wonderful transformation though- great eye good luck with your new venture

16. melinda says:

ok now I just went to Sarah’s website wow what an exceptional florist. Love the round trestle table where is that from?

17. Ashley says:

I’ve been reading Sarah’s blog since she did my sister’s wedding this June. And yes she is an AMAZING florist! I knew your shop used to be a plumbing supply store but I had no idea that’s what it looked like before you took over. You’re an amazing designer too Sarah. I’ll have to make a trip up from Utah Valley one day to see it!

18. Manmeet Singh says:

Cute. I can feel the love that went into designing this space

19. Ritsya says:

Love it! Such a great transformation. Love all the light and the repurposed fans are just brilliant. p.s. anything with chalkboard paint gets my vote. All the best!

20. Opening a floral shop is my DREAM! This one is SO inspiring! best of luck!

21. liz says:

Wow. Just Wow.

22. Amanda says:

lovely shop! I have to admit I was wondering were the flowers were stored too? And to those wondering about the the before and after picture are the same – look at the orientation of the door and counter – they are flipped in the fifth photo – cause its the front of the shop and the before and after are the back of the shop. Its looks like they added a partial wall covering the two windows in the back, which is why the desk is at the “back of the photo” but underneath the heating? unit in the wall.

23. That is awesome and talk about bang for your buck. We are totally stealing those light fixtures for our shop!

24. Jenn says:

I just purchased one of these exhaust fans at an antique show and I’m looking for a tutorial on how to create a pendant light out of it. At the start of this post, it says more info on that after the jump, but I don’t see a link to click for a jump! Please help :)

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi jenn

it should be right there in the post above these comments, but here’s the full post link just in case:

grace :)