before & after: hutch makeover

Jesyka D’Itri Marés managed to pack two incredibly creative makeovers into her dining room, and although this hutch was featured on Centsational Girl earlier this year, we felt the pair of projects was too charming to resist. The untreated hutch was lovely to begin with, albeit a bit damaged, but Jesyka had a vision for what this piece could become, and I love that she customized the look down to the last detail. The abstract wallpaper is an awesome way to set off the interior, and the gold trim complements the icy blue hue beautifully. Great job, Jesyka! — Kate

Stay tuned for another awesome Before & After project from Jesyka coming in the next hour!

Read more about Jesyka’s extensive makeover of this china hutch after the jump!

Time: 5 days

Cost: $138 (including hutch and all supplies)

Basic Steps: I removed all doors and hardware. I used a safe stripper to strip off the old peeling varnish, and then I sanded it all down. I took the broken door to a glass house to have the glass replaced. I was inspired by some painted furniture I had seen on Pinterest, and although my first instinct was to stain it espresso, there was a voice nagging me in the back of my head that I had done that enough, and this piece needed to be something new. I decided I really wanted to pop out some of the molding on the piece, and I really wanted a patterned backing, so I mixed three interior paint colors I had in the house (aqua, ivory and gray), and I went with the gold touches (model paint!) and the contact-paper backing. I installed lighting and turned a fixed center window into a door. Also, Anthropologie knobs can make almost any piece of furniture!

Don’t be afraid to try something new! The worst thing that can happen is you change it to what you originally wanted to do, but you have gained a valuable learning experience! Really, it’s just a piece of furniture; have fun with it! I’m so happy I trusted my instinct here. I also won’t be surprised if I re-imagine this hutch one day. :D — Jesyka

1. Anne says:

Marvelous transformation!

2. This is a beautiful transformation. I love the details along the glass on the doors and the trim on the bottom is so unique – it pops now!

3. Wow! It’s very Alice in Wonderland in the best possible way. Interesting that she kept the Early American hardware on the lower part. I’m in the midst of re-doing a 1970’s piece with the same type of pulls and had been considering keeping them as well. Looks fantastic.

4. Paula PM says:

An ugly duckling transformed into an elegant swan. Brilliant!

5. colleen says:

This is absolutely GORGEOUS so I really don’t want to hear any snarky comments about how awful and horrible it is that she painted something that just so happened to be made out of wood!

6. Teresa says:

Very pretty! Good job.

7. matrjoschki says:

Wow, it looks like in a great candy shop or confectionery. love it!

8. What a beautiful transformation!! Love the little details

9. What a difference? I love the wallpaper and that pale blue is absolutely perfect!

10. Kristina says:

I really like this! I bought a somewhat similar hutch at a garage sale last week and was looking for some inspiration. I think this fit the bill! Thanks so much for sharing, you did an excellent job on this piece.

11. liza jane says:

This is awesome! The icy blue color is perfect.

12. sarah says:

This is awesome – I love the paper backing, though I can’t tell from the description if you painted it (the contact paper) yourself or if that’s a pattern you can buy. If so, I’d like to try to find it somewhere. Can you elaborate?

13. Katie says:

Wow! What a difference, it’s absolutely beautiful!

14. Connie says:

WOW!!! Incredible vision and well executed!

15. Bryn says:

I really hate these faux early-American pieces, so I am amazed at how much I like what Jesyka’s done with it. I think the comment “Alice in Wonderland” sums it up perfectly.

16. Heather says:

I’ve been looking for beautiful contact paper! I’m dying over this print!! I haven’t been able to find any pretty contact paper, could you please share the resource? Amazing result! Congrats!

17. Roseandpearl says:

Oh, this is such a dreamy “after”. The hutch was so dark & heavy before- great transformation!

18. Gena says:

Wow, this is beautiful before and stunningly gorgeous after!!

19. Pip says:

Bold! This is pretty unique and a really excellent vision. The whole look and colours has a very french Palace of Versailles type feel, especially with the gold detail.
    Kudos for letting yourself experiment and try something new.

20. Jesyka says:

Hi Sarah! I bought the contact paper from a seller on eBay. The seller claimed it was “vintage” but on the wrapper it said it was 2004! I don’t believe it is in print anymore… :( I discovered chicshelfpaper.com after I did this project though! Maybe you can find something you like there? :)

21. pam munro says:

Hmmm, I am 1 of those people who can’t bear painting wood other than fiberboard….I wd hv preferred antiquing or something. (& Anthropologies knobs are NOT cheap by any means!!)

22. Andrea says:

AMAZING! This made my day. Wish I had one for my shop!

23. Trude says:

Absolutely gorgeous! Loooove the pattern behind everything.

24. Bron says:

Inspirational stuff! Love it

25. Wow! This turned out beautifully! Love it.

26. I love this. Wow Grace, you really pulled out all the gems today with the trolley stop, fireplace and now this.

Gorgeous.

27. This is beautiful! The gold trimming reminds me of the painted wood furniture I had growing up. :)

28. Laeticia says:

It’s awesome! Great work!!!

29. dana carini says:

great colors! I am amazed you had the future seeking ability to invision this transformation. I find pieces like this all the time, but without that creative ability they cant be transformed into something like that!!!! great job !!!! how do pick the color scheme… i seem to cover my pieces with samples and get confused…

30. Karen says:

I am picking up two old hutches today, wow is this cute!

31. Sandra says:

Absolutely beautiful! What a gorgeous transformation!

32. rachel says:

love the baby blue and gold – great color combo

33. Incredibly beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

34. Omar says:

Prefer the “before” look. At least that had character and soul. This plastic looking thing is a terrible choice.

35. Ashley says:

Am I the only one who just plain doesn’t like this hutch? I’m not saying the colors and patterns aren’t cute but the overall look of it just.. turns me off in a big way.

36. dagny bjorg says:

This is great! I love the colours and the patterns. It’s lovely.

37. Nell G says:

A pretty playful gustavian transformation–I would think! Imagine w rustic wood table with it on painted white floorboards. Love when furniture redo’s push the boundries with color and pattern. Would have been just as lovely to see it painted chalky white–but this hits it out of the park. I can see its not a homerun for everyone in the comments–but it certainly is for me!

38. Villblomsten says:

Unbeliveble :-)
    You made it very pretty :-)

39. Vikki says:

I usually prefer when pretty, classic, well made, wood furniture is restored & refinished… this is not one of those pieces. It is probably from the 70s &, although well made, the backing is probably of paneling & the drawers are not very strong. It is PERFECT & delicious painted! I have a piece that is very similar (right down to the broken glass in one door!) and this would be absolutely YUMMY! It has a pull out counter-top but nothing I could use the gold on (sigh!)

40. Totally obsessed with befores and afters. This was a good one, that cabinet you see everywhere for next to nothing because it is so outdated, this makes it look great.

41. nikele says:

WOAH! So cool! Awesome transformation!

42. Diane says:

This is very nice.
    I just inherited my Mother’s china cabinet/hutch. It is similar to this one, but with 3 full length (4′ high) glass panes with one being a door, consuming the entire top piece. The bottom piece reaching about 2′ high. It was beautiful back in the day but now looks very dated. Not a clue what to do with it. :(

43. Tima says: