before & after: chevron wall + bedroom redo

When we posted Evita’s studio makeover last August, I was immediately drawn to the pale neutral palette with a few sprinkles of dramatic dark tones and bold colors. I was very excited to see that Evita designed her bedroom in similar hues and that she added a monochromatic chevron wall. The pattern is such an incredible addition to this space, and I love the subtle shift in color. Great job, Evita! — Kate

Read more about Evita’s chevron wall and bedroom makeover after the jump!

Time: 3 days

Cost: $150

Basic Steps: We realized after we started painting that the builders never primed the walls before applying the color selected by the previous, original owners. It took two gallons of the flat white. I now know that, when in doubt, prime! After finalizing the design, I set about taping the walls. I threw caution to the wind and totally eyed the lines rather than measuring everything. After I finished the first round of taping, I knew the blocks were too large to be painted with the gloss, so I added more strips of tape with uneven spacing, but didn’t like it. I pulled those off and decided to paint the larger blocks using an eggshell finish.

The pelmet was installed after the coats of flat went on the walls. When I took it down before the taping extravaganza, the temperature shot up 5 degrees within a half an hour! More on that project can be found here.

My advice is to have patience and have fun with what you’re doing. Be open to the possibility that it may not be exactly how you originally envisioned, and allow yourself to experiment with what you have. You may just end up with something you’re far happier with! Oh, and if it’s something that requires taping, always overestimate how much you’ll need! — Evita

1. Wow, what a lovely transformation!

2. It turned out very subtle and elegant – love it!

3. Heather says:

Wow! What a feat! I’m so impressed with the final product and Evita’s guts! Amazing! :)

4. This is magic and, yes, the makeover is subtle and classy. I’ll add these images to my project folder of things to do one day (soonish).

5. whislerpotpie says:

Chevron paint – it even makes your bed!

6. Jenny says:

I love the transformation. Very subtle and elegant. I do want to offer the gentle suggestion of changing out the bedspread, however. The room feels so light and refined–––the brown coverlet feels too big, dark, and dominant. I would suggest something soft and light-colored, like a duvet, to give the bed frame some air and complement the tone of the room.

7. Linda Hunt says:

Great imaginative design that can be used anywhere in the home. Loved it!

8. Leah says:

I am a huge fan of subtly. This is gorgeous work!

9. Kristi says:

I love this room! Where did she get her light?

10. Jenny says:

Wow! 3 days, $150!? Great job!!!!

11. Evita says:

Thanks Design*Sponge and thanks everyone for your lovely comments!

@Jenny – your gentle suggestion is duly noted and appreciated. We’re looking to change it as well!

@Kristi – are you talking about the pendant lights? They came from DWR and hung in the office where I worked for several years. The company sold off the office furnishings when we moved to a new building and I scored these for $4.00 a piece!

12. Wow, that looks AMAZING! And, a lot of work! Nice job and great achievement!

Katie Flynn

13. philly says:

i LOVE this! I hope to replicate this in my next place, as I happen to love the airness of white space. This definitely classes it up a notch. Can you tell us exactly what paint you used? Colors and finishes if possible– I’m hoping to replicate the textures (flat vs glossy) you’ve created here! Thanks so much for sharing, made my day!

14. tracylee says:

I thought I was *totally over* chevron… but this is SO classy! I also adore the star garland/decal-ed thing on the windows. Very lovely!

15. Julie says:

Love this! The walls look fantastic.

16. Katie says:

This would be an awesome how-to post as well! Chevron wall? That sounds like a TON of taping, but obviously worth it!

17. Sarah Walsh says:

What a transformation on a budget! The walls and the blinds bring the whole room together – such a clever idea! Where are the blinds from??

18. Leslie says:

Lovely finish!

19. That looks great! Subtle enough so it isn’t overwhelming, but bold enough to make a statement. Perfect!

20. dinah says:

21. Corinna says:

this is my absolute fave website for design inspiration! I LOVE the stars in this room and the type on the valance! TOO PRETTY!

22. Evita says:

@Philly – We used Valspar ultra white in flat, eggshell and gloss finishes.

@Katie – I have some more detailed info at Hey, I would be more than happy to do a more comprehensive ‘how to’ for D*S!

23. Wow. Gorgeous, but sooooo much work. Kudos to your patience and perseverance!

24. Nia Basset says:

It’s amazing how different lighting can help “class things up,” don’t you think?

The walls are fantastic, by the way.

25. I love it! it’s great that something so subtle can be so dramatic at the same time.

26. Lauren Clark says:

Love the walls – great idea! It’s a very “clean” look.

27. Connie says:

I love how you added depth and texture with the differences in paint sheen. Very clever and well done. I just read another post where they did something similar but with decorative curly q’s rather than stripes. My brain is tingling from ideas! I wonder if I could pull this off in the bathroom?

28. Eva says:

subtle and cool :)

29. joanne says:

weeks after first seeing this post, i’m still obsessed!

30. Stormy says:

o.m.g. I love this so much!

31. Kate says:

Beautiful! From one Chevron lover to another. I am impressed. A beautiful space to relax in and enjoy. You have inspired me. :)