a little macramé

Last weekend, as part of my never-ending battle against the sun (why aren’t you working, SPF60?), I headed into Williamsburg’s modern jewelry mecca, Catbird, to look at their sunhat selection. Once in the store, I ran right past the hats and over to this little neon macramé planter. I don’t see an end in sight for my neon obsession but paired with macramé? Pretty awesome. The planters are made by Brooklyn artist Melanie Jelacic. If you have questions or would like to order one of these neon beauties, email Catbird right here. — Amy A.

1. Brigid says:

too cute! a big step up from ’70’s hippie macrame. love the pink! modern and retro all in one.

2. How fun! I’ve been toying with the idea of adding a little macramé to my life lately. It’s vaguely 70’s and unexpected in a way that really gets me going.

3. Cute! I still remember these from when I was young. Who knew I would like these when I was older ;)

4. Teresa says:

This is so ironic! I’ve been teaching myself macrame for the past week thinking to myself “I bet it’s going to make a comeback!” and HAH! Design*sponge, you got it!

5. Oh wow. I didn’t know macrame could be anything other than brown. Now, I officially need to learn how to do this…

6. homestilo says:

As old school as macrame may be, these look so current. Not at all like the fussier version of the past.

7. liz says:

Loving my mom even more right now for teaching me macrame as a kid…

8. Never in a million years would I think I’d find myself putting the words “cute” and “macrame” in the same sentence… yet here I am thinking that those little planters are super cute. Great find!

9. So cute in neon! These have some fancy knots, but to make very simple, quick macrame, check out the tutorial on my blog at http://skinnylaminx.com/2011/01/18/hanging-succulent-garden/.

10. @tishushu says:

So perfect! I can see adding a few of those to my home! And I just may!;)

11. Casey says:

Those are really cool! I have so many potted succulents in my office, with not nearly enough available surfaces. I should totally hang them with some groovy/modern macrame!

12. Jesse Lu says:

oooh, love love love.

13. Kristin says:

What a coincidence – Lion Brand Yarn is featuring a very similar pattern on their website: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L0596.html. (Now all I have to do is pull it off…or go buy one from Catbird!)

14. jonahliza says:

i love this..the color is amazing!

15. crowd SPRING says:

Really great..I like this type of blog..Hope you will continue to post such type of post in future also…

16. Tori says:

The hot pink is amazing! It is my all time favorite color!

17. Well this post is pretty cool………I have searching for information and finally this blog is very good and the nice designed.

18. Lauran says:

I would love to take a macrame class in Brooklyn but can’t find one offered anywhere. If anyone hears of one or would like to teach a class, please holla back. I’d be happy to organize a group!

19. Emelie says:

Love it – so pretty!
    A few weeks ago I made a macrame plant hanger with some kind of hemp string (http://flora-inspiro.blogspot.se/2015/02/urban-jungle-blogger-plant-hanger.html) but now when I’ve seen this one, I think I will try to make the same model again but in this colour! ;)