the sound of your morning: clap your hands

Print above by Sarah Marshall at Etsy

There are few things I love more in songs than a good hand clap. I naturally want to tap my feet or clap my hands when listening to music, so I appreciate when musicians build that right into the song so I don’t feel like such a doofus for clapping on my own. Whether the clapping is built into the song’s background or comes to a halt for a full-on clapping break down (like the Wild Flag track below), I love songs that make me stop what I’m doing and join in for a little dance break. Today I’ve chosen 10 of my favorite songs that feature great hand clapping (literally) sections, so I hope they’ll get your Monday started on the right foot. Please feel free to add links to your favorites in the comment section below, I could always use a new hand-clap favorite in my life… xo, grace

Wild Flag “Romance” – I’m so bummed all of the D*S Book tour dates clash with this band’s fall tour. If they’re coming to a town near you please go for me and clap along to this song. The clap break down here is at 2:00.

Spoon “The Underdog” – Such a great song, and the clapping kicks in around 1:02 and continues for each chorus.

Weezer “Photograph” – I love Rivers Cuomo. I know he seems to tick everyone else I know off, but I think he’s adorable. The clapping kicks in right away and continues throughout the whole song.

Beck “Where It’s At” – For a brief moment I forgot how much I love Beck. So kooky, so talented and so many great clapping sections in this song’s chorus.

6 More songs continue after the jump…

Parliament “Flashlight” – What’s not to love about this song? The hand claps start right away and keep going throughout the whole song. Perfect party song.

Feist “1234” – The clapping in this video comes with coordinating dance moves and lots of colorful outfits. Win.

T Rex “Bang a Gong” – I went on a mini T Rex bender a few weeks ago, so I’ll take this excuse to listen to this song again. The claps start in the beginning of the song and continue throughout the full track. More of a consistent beat than a breakdown, it’s still good to clap along to…

The Replacements “Alex Chilton” – Claps right before this chorus are one of the many things that make this song great.

Tom Petty “American Girl” – Amazing song, fun claps and a beat that makes it impossible to not stand up and dance around.

Iggy and the Stooges “Shake Appeal” – Clapping throughout the song, great for a midday dance break.

1. alex says:

I was in an a cappella group in college and there’s NOTHING better than a good hand clap.

2. Krista says:

Great picks! The only one missing (in my humble opinion) that I always seem to think of when thinking of hand clapping songs is Styx~ Too Much Time on My Hands!! :-)

3. The Cure’s Close to Me is a hand clap classic!

4. lasingh says:

You left out the the original hand-clapping song!!

5. Love hand claps and finger snaps!

6. Lara says:

I am completely with you on this! I even have an on-going ‘happy clappy’ playlist project. I can see these being added tout de suite :)

7. Izabella says:

Nothing like some hand clapping to start off the week. I love it!

8. Hannah says:

I have to put in a vote for Sia with ‘Clap Your Hands'; a) she’s my homegirl, b) hand-clapping is the whole theme of the song, and c) WHAT A SONG!

9. Hannah says:

Oh yes, that Sia song… http://youtu.be/hr1bTNFjec8

10. Clara says:

I love hand claps too! What a great post. :)

11. zelina says:

I wa sjust thinking this. any songs with clapping in them I immediately fall in love

12. danielle says:

You’ve got to check out Theresa Anderson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek2v9-UCWhw

Loving this one by Katie Herzig right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDsU_-_kuSo

Cecilia by Simon & Garfunkle comes to mind, and Hey Ya by Outcast. Love the quick 5 claps in that one!

13. Mimi says:

And don’t forget Nina Simone’s Sinnerman, with its extended clapping break: http://youtu.be/H6_BWNzThJY

14. Caitlin says:

Try this one on for size: Buke and Gass “Revel In Contempt” Song starts at the 9-minute mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wQv60dxAUU

15. Meghan, RVA says:

Another one: The Bird and the Bee’s “Polite Dance Song”

Would you please clap your hands?

16. Karen says:

I love Beck’s song, “Clap Hands”. There’s not a constant clapping through out, but every once in a while. It’s a great dance song.

17. Stephanie says:

Le Tigre – Who Took the Bomp

also, completely glad other people recognize Clapping as a musical genre.

1. Grace Bonney says:

stephanie

that documentary was amazing. i watched it on the plane to california last week. loved it. :)

g

18. Stephanie says:

and, of course, i mean the song title is Deceptacon. the documentary is Who Took the Bomp. der.

19. Jennifer H. says:

“The Way I Am” by Ingrid Michaelson.

20. Lucía says:

Yesterday I was listening to Florence and the Machine’s “Dog days are over” and when I read this post I immediately thought of that song… love the way the clapping compliments her voice :)

1. Grace Bonney says:

lucia

ooh! good one, i forgot about the claps in that song ;)

g

21. Kersten says:

“Here Comes the Sun,” by The Beatles! Great clapping action, and lyrics that give you something to clap about, too.

22. Diana says:

Hey Marseille’s Rio! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUPq-zICOOc They had the audience do the hand-clapping bit at a concert I went to – it was a blast!

23. Susan says:

I think you are making me a Wild Flag fan Grace ;)

24. Kelly says:

Portland band Ages and Ages is clap-heavy in almost all of their songs. It’s great to see live!

25. Kathleen says:

Sara Bareilles, King of Anything, is just contagiously happy.

26. Thuy says:

Broken Social Scene – Stars and Sons. Really basic, but it was cute moment at the last show I went to.

27. Hayley says:

“Clap hands” by Beck is a good one too (clue’s in the name ;) I saw them perform it live using cutlery and drinking glasses for the percussion. Amazing.

28. Andrea says:

“In the Dirt” by S. Carey and “Lake Michigan” by Rogue Wave have hand clappy sounds, but not in the “everybody clap along” kind of way.
    “The Sound of Settling” by Death Cab for Cutie has kinda tricky hand claps.
    Anybody remember Jump, Little Children do the hand clap at their shows in “Say Goodnight”? it was a joke about the clap-on/clap-off lights. good times.

29. Andrew says:

Some really good songs on the list, but were some classics that I felt were missed.
    The Meters – Handclapping Song
    The Zombies – Time of the Season
    Paco De Lucía – La Nina De Puerta Oscura

30. Sara says:

“Dog Days of Summer” by Florence of the Machine…

31. Sadie says:

It’s not EXACTLY clapping (or at least not exclusively), but, Tilly and the Wall.

32. Kiki says:

Oh you have to listen to flaming lips “the w.a.n.d ” song. It has the best downbeat claps!!! I can never get the beat right! Lol

33. Nana says:

Andrea–yes to DCFC!
    I’d also like to nominate Fleetwood Mac’s “I Don’t Wanna Know.”

34. Jenn says:

The first thing that comes to mind is The Shins’ “Kissing The Lipless,” which doesn’t have clapping *in* the song, but kicks off with a “CLAP clap clap CLAP clap clap–WOO!” that just feels good to follow along with. :)

I can’t remember if there is actual clapping in the song itself, but the better Ingrid Michaelson song to conjure up in this instance, I think, is “You And I.” Just dreamy.

Some not clapping, but similar vibe selections:
    !!! (also spelled Chk Chk Chk)’s “Me & Guliani Down By The Schoolyard” ends with a percussion piece that always finds me searching for the nearest bare surface to knock-slap-knock-knock-slap in time with. Super fun!

If you dig whistling the same way you do clapping, there’s always Peter, Bjorn & John’s “Young Folks.”

I’ll have to keep an ear out for clapping in the future! I never really paid attention before!

35. Jenn says:

Ooh, and good call on Florence & The Machine, Sara! It is “The Dog Days Are Over,” however.

36. Angelica says:

Gene Autry’s cover of “Deep in the Heart of Texas” :)

37. Mariann says:

It takes forever to get there (3:09) and doesn’t last long at all but Queen’s “Somebody To Love” should be on this list.

38. Gwenevere says:

Best example I can think of, for sure:

39. Katherine says:

Anathello, “A Song for Christina”

40. jensen says:

How can you forget Beck’s “Go It Alone”?? a classic!
    a few other excellent clap-inducing ones…
    The Blow, “Hey Boy”
    The Generationals, “When They Fight, They Fight”
    K-OS, “Crabbuckit”

41. Ana says:

“No Fun”!!!! By Iggy and The Stooges!!!!

42. Ana Montiel says:

Great post!
    You may already know this one but it’s a clapping must! ;D

43. cara says:

yes! love this list. it needs “welcome home, son” by radical face to be complete, though. just saying.

44. Chelsea says:

I’ve always LOVED songs with clapping in them, but couldn’t figure out why, or how to search for more. This list is fantastic. I have to add “Fixin’ to Die” by G. Love with collaboration from the Avett Brothers.

Here’s the link!

45. Elle says:

Fire is Low by Freshlyground. The entire intro is catchy clapping!

46. Kristina says:

“I Think I’ll Call You Mine,” by The Parlours is my new favorite hand clapping song. It is such a good song all around (I always find myself singing it throughout the day), but it also includes some great clapping.

47. Pretty much everyone of the Hilotrons’ songs has at least one hand clap. This isn’t the danciest song, but it is the one on youtube: