sneak peek: shaun moore & todd caldwell

Just last week, Shaun Moore of MADE and Todd Caldwell celebrated ten years in their 1875 Victorian townhouse located in Toronto, Canada. They purchased the house during Shaun’s final term in design school, and it was pretty much a total wreck. The couple loved the building’s original architectural detailing, and they’ve been sure to keep as much of that as possible. But they did opt to demolish the back end of the house, which allowed them to significantly increase the amount of light in the space and to make their own mark on the 130-year-old home. The couple’s style has evolved over the past ten years, transitioning out of a mid-century phase and into their current interest in supporting the works of Canadian artists and designers, which they mix with inherited antiques. They don’t want the house to be too precious, so it’s a continual balancing act between old and new. They’ve done a pretty good job of making that happen! Thanks, Shaun and Todd! — Amy A.

Image above: This corner of the living room is very near the front door. Our entry hall is pretty narrow, so we use this space as a foyer. The upholstery fabric on the chair is by our close friend Andresa Sisson-Drayton. The mirror came from Todd’s grandmother in Eau-Claire Wis. The side table is one of the last pieces I made with my own hands.

Image above: The living room is one of the spaces that sold us on the house. The ceilings are 10′ high, and there’s a great archway that leads into the dining room. The green chair was a lucky junk shop find. The painting is by Toronto artist Gillian Iles. The bookshelf was a final term project I made while studying furniture design at Sheridan College. The carpet is “Cholera” by Bev Hisey from her Dirty Dishes series (based on petri-dish samples). The kraft paper soft seating is by Vancouver’s molo.

The rest of the home tour continues after the jump!

Image above: The “Hybrid Console” is by MADE (myself and Julie Nicholson). It is part of a series that has included stools, benches, lighting and even a DJ booth. The skulls are all found, and the collection includes a squirrel, raccoon, fox, beaver, deer, wolf and pig. The two paintings are by Toronto artist Kris Knight. The block totem is by Canadian artist and author, Douglas Coupland.

Image above: We treat our dining room as a fairly formal space. It is a little dark in the day, but it is amazingly moody at night. Perfect for entertaining. The Eames chairs moved with us from Winnipeg to Toronto in 1998. We bought the set of 4 for $125! The George Nelson light was our first purchase for the house. It was the perfect scale for the dining table. The dining table has seen better days, but it is a great size, and when the leaves are inserted, we have squeezed up to 15 people around it (we love a good dinner party!). The mirror on the back wall is by Alberta-based Loyal Loot Collective. We love those girls! The oil-stick drawing is by Alberta artist Dana Holst.

Image above: The credenza was Todd’s great grandmother’s. It has been messed with a lot over the years, with parts chopped off, legs shortened and multiple coats of paint. The stack of plates lamp by Annie Tung and Brad Turner is amazing! It was a favorite of mine from our most recent exhibition “MADE at Home.” The light pours out from between each dish. The two porcelain “Best Before” creamers/vases are by Jeremy Hatch.

Image above: This is our guest room — our own room, on the third floor, is the last space needing renovation. The quilt is by menswear designer Philip Sparks. It is made of offcuts from one of his collections. It is the most amazing Italian wool. The photos are by Zoe Jarameus — she is someone to watch out for! The bedside light is by Vancouver’s Propellor Design. Boris the dog is almost 13 years old now. He is a camera hound — he loves having his picture taken. To his chagrin, we needed to chase him out of most of the shots.

Image above: This shelving was my final project in design school. Todd and I are book nuts, so I am always trying to consider shelving that can accommodate a variety of book shapes and sizes.

Image above: We’re not so sure how our collection of cigar boxes came to be, but we love the graphics on the older ones. We had a realization one day that we had a huge number of cigar boxes despite the fact that we are far from being cigar lovers. Ours are full of old photos and oddball collections. The doll in the background is by Drue Langlois, a fellow Winnipegger who was once a member of the Royal Art Lodge.

Image above: The kitchen was part of our big renovation. The original part of the house had no foundation and was beyond repair. It was great to be able to have a fresh start. We wound up with a room that we really love. The bench is a favorite spot in the house. It runs both inside and outside the window. It is the best place to have a morning coffee and is guaranteed to collect people at a party. The concrete houses are older works by Marcia Huyer, a Toronto artist.

Image above: I created the knives just for our kitchen cabinet. The kitchen is fairly stark compared to much of the house, but it is also the most social space, so we wanted to add a bit of fun. The Marcel Dzama Sad Ghost Salt & Pepper Shakers were a gift from my business partner, Julie. The teapot is by Jeremy Hatch and was a gift from Jeremy.

Image above: This room is at the front of the second floor, and it gets amazing morning light. It is our all-purpose room: den/office/library/overflow guest room. The carpet is by our friend and colleague, Bev Hisey. The white oak and steel coffee table is my own design; the copper light (the room actually has a pair) is by Toronto designer Derek McLeod. The toss cushions are Phillip Sparks. The drawing above the sofa is a very prized possession by Marcel Dzama. We have both been huge fans of Dzama’s work for a long time.

Image above: The bathroom was a labor of love. We did all the tiling ourselves, which was a huge undertaking. I would be happy to never use a tile saw again. The slot window over the bath looks out into a huge, old, ornamental crabapple tree. The pencil cactus was started from a cutting a few years ago and recently needed to be cut way back. It loves that space. The floors in the kitchen and bathroom have radiant heat. It was a splurge that we couldn’t afford but would definitely do again. Toronto has cold, damp winters, and coming home to warm floors makes it almost bearable.

Image above: Our friend Tamira Sawatzki, an architect and artist at Public Studio, designed the new back of the house (the red part). She was amazing to work with. This summer, we are supposed to be adding a roof deck on the third floor.

1. totally agree! I love lots of lovely light in my home! Oh to have a new home like this to work on from scratch. Dream.

2. Erica says:

Very eclectic and interesting look! LOVE the ding room. Creatively done!

3. chelsey says:

wow. Love this! and love that it’s such a great representation of Canadian talent! I would LOVE to have that bookshelf (final design school project) really I would love to have this house.

Come to Edmonton? Renovate my house please!

4. Amber says:

This house is amazing, most especially the art collection!

5. Katie says:

Great to see another Toronto home. What a lovely space. I love the red accents in the kitchen and out back with the exterior! Where are your countertops from?

6. Steph says:

love seeing more and more local-to-me features on here! :)

7. cindy says:

would you be nice enough to share the color name and vendor of that wall color in your bedroom? I love it!

8. Kristin says:

GORG. Loved this! Favorites were the table with pink legs, art in the dining room and the bath tub. Heavenly!

9. Taylor says:

Easily one of the best homes! The taste level is just like mine, so of course I could be a little bias. The crates amaze me. Cheers!

10. TheElatha says:

The first time I saw a piece of furniture with plastic boxes, which I like.

11. Sarah says:

I totally know where this house is!

12. Jenunabelle says:

That console made of upcycled crates is beautiful! So creative.

13. Jesse Lu says:

This is a great home. I love all local art and design and the homeowners designs are fantastic.

14. Sarah says:

Gorgeous! Do you remember the name of that gray paint you used in the living room?

15. jaqpot says:

Greetings from Australia :)

In a word: Wow !
    I’m so inspired, one of the best Sneak Peeks in years. Such a sense of style yet so relaxed and user friendly (the best kind of design really). Definitely want to retrain in Furniture Design now… thank you so much – the milk crate ‘hybrid console’ is brilliant.

16. Shaun says:

Thanks for all the generous comments! Very flattering.
    @Katie- The counters are carerra blanco marble from Marble Trend
    @Cindy- The red is Ralph Lauren- ‘Longjohn’
    @Sarah- The grey is Benjamin Moore- ‘Escarpment’
    All the Best,
    Shaun

17. Cindy says:

I love artist homes, and included so much helpful namedropping!

18. wendy says:

I love the old cigar boxes and the crate storage table. Awesome!

19. ally says:

Wow. I absolutely LOVE this house! The perfect mix of stuff and space, old and new. There is obviously a lot of attention to the design, but it still feels comfortable and livable (something a lot of these “staged” homes lack.) Well done!

20. AH-DORE the artwork in this home. Just spectacular! Yay Toronto! Love this city and it’s ever evolving style!

21. Jennifer says:

Gorgeous! I love this house.

22. Pip says:

Agreed with all! This house has such a warm and inviting sense of style, and what a great spotlight for Canadian artists (some of my favourites too). Very classy and brilliant. I live in Toronto and I think this is a wonderful house to feature. Cheers!

23. Gerry says:

A Wow! viewing experience and having visited the house I can add that the eclectic taste, creative design sense and use of space are all enriched by the warm and welcoming, Todd and Shaun. No bias here just an uncle in awe.

24. Hilary Nagler says:

Hello! I can’t believ my eyes. I own 2 of the Chrome dome lamps pictured in the foyer, but mine have white marble bases. But they must be same manufacturer as have same round on/off switch. I inherited them from my father. he purchased the, in the 60s when he built our house, but they have no markings and I have never been able to find any history or provenance on the. If anyone knows the origin or manufacturer of these, any and all information would be hugely appreciated. My email is hnagler@fleamarketrx.com. Thanks, Hilary

25. Carolina says:

Oh my god. Im on inspiration overload. I just LOVE this home. That bath is lovely, it’s almost Scandinavian in style.

26. FIONA says:

Love your bathroom, can you tell me what tile you used? I’m on the hunt for a light grey tile right now and cant find anything like this – thanks!