sneak peek: glenn garriock

Sneak peek “firsts” always make me smile. With hundreds of homes under our belt, today’s home belonging to Scottish graphic designer Glenn Garriock of Atelier 1A and his partner Heather is our first converted aircraft hangar. Located in Uetze, Germany, it is one of 16 hangars salvaged from the British Army by the Traditional Life Industrial Estate set up by Glenn’s father and two partners in 1994. While Glenn claims that making an aircraft hangar look good is pretty easy, making it homey and comfortable took a little while, but they accomplished it through a mix of old, new and handmade things from their travels, flea markets and Swedish Flatpack Furniture Stores with the occasional design classic. Don’t miss out on more from Glenn as cofounder of FormFiftyFive, a great graphic design blog that also serves as a tool for meeting new collaborators. Thanks, Glenn! — Anne

Image above: The boudoir.

Image above: We framed this mirror from an old sliding door. The cowhide armchair was found by a friend of ours.

Glenn + Heather’s aircraft hangar continues after the jump…

Image above: The kitchen’s pretty compact. I love the rusty copper floor-tiles, especially when they’re just washed. The worktop is chalkstone from the Irish Pavilion for the EXPO 2000.

Image above: One of my favourite parts of our home is the reclaimed spiral stairs. Powder-coated in charcoal and brick red, we had to replace a few pieces that were missing.

Image above: Lying on the sofa with an arched metal roof above you is surprisingly relaxing, especially when it’s raining! Coffee table from Habitat, sofa from Artem, table and bench from Ikea. Print by Malika Favre.

Image above: 1929 Voigtländer Bessa I that my Dad gave me for Christmas.

Image above: You just never know when you might need a fire extinguisher. Might as well have a good looking one!

Image above: The curtains hide the bedroom wardrobe, or the mess that is our wardrobe most of the time.

Image above: The en-suite bathroom has a refurbished metal free-standing bathtub (long enough even for a tall guy like me) and an old hairdresser’s washbasin.

Image above: Bedroom/living room doorknob.

Image above: The ground floor is mostly taken up by the office space. After working at a computer for years, my back is thanking me for a more varied working posture at my standing desk (metal tabletop rusted then varnished). The bookshelf was payment for a little job I did for a friend of the family. The cast-iron pillars are embedded 2m deep and hold the entire top-floor structure!

Image above: The aircraft hangars use the original “Nissen” structure covered with 15cm of insulation sandwiched by 2 layers of galvanised sheet-metal. The fronts were laid in reclaimed brick, and the floors throughout are asphalt finished with black semi-gloss floor paint. (We’re thinking about painting the downstairs a lighter shade of gray this summer, though, to lighten the room a little.)

Image above: Love sitting on our little garden terrace; it’s a real sun-trap! Chairs by Tom Vac.

Image above: Twister & Homer hanging out outside the main building.

Image above: Army Issue Mini Moke: repainted in white with black details. The interior is completely reupholstered in treated leather.

More images by Glenn on Flickr!

1. Rachel says:

This has got to be the COOLEST HOME I have ever seen on Design Sponge. And that says a lot! They are soooo lucky!!! Ugh… to die for!!

2. Loveash says:

This is really quite amazing! Am I seeing things, or is that a full grown tree in a giant pot?!?!? w0w!

3. maria says:

yeah, i’d live there. really great home. looks VERY cozy.

4. Becky Hill says:

By far this is the coolest and most innovative home I have seen on Design Sponge. Love it! Thanks for sharing such great inspiration.

5. PamH says:

wowzers….so cool!

6. Rebecca says:

Wow, I’ve always wanted to live in a converted barn, but an aircraft carrier is just so much cooler! :) Amazing photos…!

7. Mariane says:

Wow, so coooooolll! You definatly achieve to make this hangar a cosy and stylish home. I like the clash of the modern/industrial feel of the “enveloppe” and some of the pieces inside like the staircase and the bathroom sink.

8. danielle says:

Industrial modern mixed with classical, even gothic elements seemlessly. That takes some pulling off, and they did it. Definitely one of my fav sneak peeks.

9. Rene says:

I like the antique moments in the space as well and the modern twist of the building with the tin roof. It would be amazing to be in this space when it rains. I am also in love with the spiral stairs.

10. Susan says:

What a cool space!

11. Bozena says:

I looove this huge orange tree pot!

12. Michelle says:

Wow. This has to be the coolest sneak peek ever… when I scrolled down and saw the outside of the house, my jaw dropped. Definitely not what I was expecting. Amazing. Thanks so much for sharing!

13. Alexandra says:

Such a awesome house! But all I can think about is the sound that roof must make during a big storm.. like it is hailing tin cans over your head!

14. hanniel says:

Beautiful house! You would think that the aircraft hanger would make the house seem cold but it looks so homey and beautiful

15. Tania says:

I love everything! Wonderful reuse of an airplane hanger. The vintage camara, jeep and bathroom fixtures is so wonderful.

I also love the mix of the brick with the industrial on the outside.

Gorgeous pooches by the way.

16. That is a cool home! Love the pink bedroom curtain idea.

17. barbara says:

love me a swell corrugated metal roof *inside!* Did it on a 20 ft. vaulted ceiling in a an addition to our teensy log cabin a while back. Looked fantastic! Hated to leave it when we moved but buyers insisted.

18. Charline says:

Damn ! I love it !

19. Yeesh, is there any insulation under that tin? Must get cold… and hot. Easy to put up with when your home is bloody gorgeous, though.

20. My oh my! Love everything. Especially that spiral case. What a beauty ;)

21. i am in love with this space. so many wonderful aspects to the design!

22. Amy says:

I absolutely LOVE this home! The juxtaposition of old and new is so extraordinarily well done. Very inspiring.

23. JoAnna says:

This is VERY interesting! So where do you get an airplane hanger? :)

24. gtvdesigndiaries says:

That staircase is amazing…I want one!!

25. Samantha says:

This is such an awesome home – it’s not only beautiful but so unique! I wonder how cold it must get in winter though…

26. Saiparn says:

how can ppl have such unique and beautiful house like this…so unfair!

27. Anastasia says:

Wow! This is the coolest home ever, very very unique, I want to visit and see in person.

28. Julie K says:

Swoon. This is the first house in a while that has absolutely blown my mind. Fantastic palette, textures and small thoughtful touches and vintage pieces. The modernity contrasted with the facade and… the collies – gorgeous.. Thank you for sharing. I’m in love.

29. Rachelle says:

This is.. ridculous.
    I am in love.

30. jess says:

is my perspective off-whack or is that one huge-ass plant pot?!

Also, love love love the spiral stairs, stuff of dreams.

31. Glenn says:

Thanks for all the amazingly positiv comments folks!

When Anne asked us to submit images for this feature, I feared that our place would look a little insignificant compared with most of the other incredible homes & places on Design*Sponge.

In answer to a few of your comments & questions:

@Loveash – There 9 giant plant pots in total and are from were bought when the Expo 2000 finished

@Madelaine Brown – The hangars have 15cm of insulation sandwiched between 2 layers corrugated sheet-metal. In the summer it gets a little warm upstairs but downstairs it stays cool even in 30 degree heat. Winters aren’t too bad either. We only have 3 heaters that heat the entire place :¬)

I forgot to give Heather’s little wedding blog a plug in the article. If you’ve got time visit

32. DGr says:

Presumably the sneak peek is because they haven’t yet installed insulation under the roof, if not, it’s going to be very cold during those German winters.

33. series says:

nice pictures , lovely dogs .

34. what an amazing building. It just goes to show all the potential in abandoned and unused buildings. we should start building government housing out of aircraft hangars now

35. Anni says:

Absolutely amazing… I love the contrast of a look of luxury underneath the corrugated industrial roof… and the facade of the hangar is so unexpected! The treatment of the building is brilliant… well done you guys!

36. Sally says:

I love this home for the contrast of industrial steel with the softening of the curves. I would love to live here. It looks both nest-like and stylish. and the exterior is cool too.

37. Lulu says:

A beautiful home. All the seemingly disparate aspects come together so well! The tin roof reminds me of home (Africa).

38. Stephanie says:

This is one of the most interesting sneak peaks I’ve seen on D*S. I love how they incorporated the decor to match the architectural features of the space. Well done!

39. MB@YarnUiPhoneAppv1.5 says:

I love the spiral staircase too and I wish there was more information about it. How old is it? Where did they buy it? It looks Victorian to me, but it’s hard to know for sure. I’m surprised it didn’t end up in a World War II scrap drive, it’s so beautiful.

40. Lauren says:

You mentioned the insulation, but is that enough to keep the cold from the snow out in winter and the heat out in summer? It’s tin! Absolutley amazing home though! Are there many hangers together in a little row? Do the other houses around you look similar?

41. Eva says:

wie cool ist das denn… :D superwohnung!

42. Kate K. says:

WOW. love this!

43. Jessica says:

This is a fabulous place – love it! I’m Australian and the roof reminds me of home a little (in a good way…) I’m just in the process of setting up an apartment in Zurich – would you mind sharing where you bought the pink/grey curtains in the bedroom? (I sort of hope you didn’t make them yourself, though that wouldn’t surprise me!) Thank you!

44. Rita says:

Lovely home! Where did you get the shelves/stand that’s next to? I’ve been looking for something similar for ages now but can’t seem to find one.

45. Glenn says:

@Jessica – Sorry for the late reply. Yeah we made the curtains our selves. Have to admit though that it was super easy thanks to Ikea’s curtain wire that comes with nifty little clips. The only sewing required was to tidy up the edges of the fabric.

@ Rita – Which shelves/stand do you mean?