sneak peek: courtney & michael adamo

Courtney, one of the founders of Babyccino Kids, and her husband, Michael Adamo, bought this Victorian home in London’s Highgate Village last August. Then they spent eight long months renovating the 120-year-old home. They kept as much of the original detailing as possible, such as the original ceiling cornices, old fireplaces and beautiful ceiling medallions, but modernized the space to make it family friendly. Two months ago, the couple and their three children — Easton (6), Quin (4) and Ivy (2) — finally moved in. Courtney has an affinity for Scandinavian style, which she brought in with the white floors and walls, but she kept the home’s furnishing traditional with a little modern flair. The result is absolutely stunning — an oasis in the middle of London. Thanks, Courtney & Michael, and many thanks to Darrin Henry for the lovely photographs. — Amy A.

Image above: This is my office, and one of my favorite rooms in the house. It looks out into the back garden (right now, apples are growing on the tree right outside), so it’s really peaceful. It also gives me a good vantage point for keeping an eye on the kids while they play. The desk is our old dining table, made by Ercol. The desk lamp is by Jielde, the prints on the wall are lithographs by Matisse — I bought them at a French market earlier this year as a birthday present to myself.

Image above: This is our kitchen, looking out toward the back of the house. The majority of the renovation work on the house involved this space — we had to knock down a structural wall that divided this room in order to create one big room. It’s nice to have the kitchen look directly out at the garden — it makes living in a big city so much nicer, especially for the kids (and for my husband, who spends more time out there than anyone!).

Courtney & Michael’s London home continues after the jump!

Image above: The lights above the island are old glass funnels turned upside down — they create a pretty prismatic light. The paint color on our kitchen cabinets is our own mix. We wanted it to be a warm grey to complement and add warmth to the marble. The white walls are Farrow & Ball “Strong White.”

Image above: This is my boys’ bedroom. We went for a really white, airy look, painting the floorboards and the walls white (Farrow & Ball “All White”). I wanted to let their toys and artwork add the color to their room. (We have a playroom where the majority of the toys are kept, so don’t be fooled by the tidiness!)

Image above: My daughter’s room. Again, the floorboards and walls are painted white (Farrow & Ball “All White” on the walls and F&B “Cornforth White” on the floor). The dresser is an old tatty thing we found for pennies on eBay. The print above the dresser is the London Map print by Famille Summerbelle. I like her room because it feels feminine without being pink or frilly, and that old fireplace makes the room so cozy.

Image above: Ivy’s room again. And another print by Famille Summerbelle. This print is my favorite thing in her room — it’s filled with old photos of family. The old apple crate on the floor keeps her books tidy, and the bunny rabbit sticker is from Belle & Boo (Ivy loves bunnies!).

Image above: Our reception room. It is such a hodge-podge of furniture. We recently got the yellow velvet sofa as a hand-me-down from some friends. It’s fun to have it in the bay window, and it’s sort of fun to have something I probably wouldn’t have bought myself. The lamp is a George Nelson bubble lamp from Modernica — I like the way it mirrors the circular ceiling rose above it. Wall paint is Farrow & Ball “Strong White.”

Image above: Our guest bathroom. We tried to keep all the bathrooms and bathroom fittings as traditional as we could to reflect the Victorian house. We opted for a pedestal sink, traditional taps and a roll-top bathtub. (F&B “Strong White” on the walls and “All White” on the wood paneling.)

Image above: This is the master bedroom. Lighting fixture is by Kathleen Hills, and it’s so pretty and feminine in this room — it creates enough of a statement that I felt I didn’t have to do much else with the room. (Again, the paint color is our own mix — the same color as our kitchen cabinets.)

Image above: Laundry room, looking out at the garden. A big, deep sink for washing dirty children! We’ve had that orange tree for nearly 7 years now. It’s moved with us every time we move — I always carry it by hand when we move houses because it’s now one of our most treasured possessions!

Image above: Wellies! A must-have for all kids growing up in England. My husband and I have them too for long rainy walks in the park.

1. Donna says:

LOVE the kitchen!

2. Karen says:

Glad to see that someone is as big a fan of F&B’s Strong White as I am – we have painted most of the rooms in our house with it – such a beautiful, serene white. Gorgeous house. Love it.

3. able mabel says:

Love the bright airy kitchen!!

4. Love that yellow couch! I wanna curl up on it right now.

5. Becky says:

LOVE the light in the kitchen — wow.

6. Beatrice says:

Would love to know what colours you mixed for the kitchen and bedroom wall – absolutely love it!

7. Dawn says:

Lovely home, very clean and bright. What toilet and sink did you use in the bathroom? They both have such great shape. We are creating a master bath in our room and those really struck me as classic and more interesting than usual in shape. Thanks for sharing.

8. JaNae says:

one of my favorite sneak peeks! The kitchen is so lovely.

9. evaone says:

I love everything in the picture. so cozy, organized and lovely…. thank you for posting it. such an inspiration.

10. tracy a says:

i love the gray cupboards. can you tell us who made them? i have scoured the web for gray kitchen cupboards and am having a hard time nailing down a manufacturer. thanks!!

11. tracy a says:

ok, just actually read every word…you painted the cabinets yourself? how do they hold up? i’m nervous about paint chipping with rough little ones…
    (thanks again)

12. Cat says:

Oh wow. This house perfectly epitomises my favourite things about growing up in North London – all that green surrounding you, those lovely wide floorboards perfect for playing skittles, those high elegant ceilings. You’re really done the space justice with your decor choices. Thank you so much for sharing, inspiring to the power of ten!

13. Courtney says:

You are all so lovely to say such nice things. I wish I could invite you all over for tea!
    Beatrice, the paint colour was such a mix of things and we kept going back and forth. Farrow & Ball launched a new colour (right after I painstakingly mixed my own version) which is pretty close to the colour we used. Look for Manor House Grey.
    And Dawn, we got our sinks and toilets from Aston Matthews here in the UK — they’re from the ‘Burley’ range.

14. Supriya says:

what a fantastic house, just the airy welcoming feel to it. sans stuff/
    clutter. lovely!

15. Lovely HOme!! love the office

16. Jenn says:

What a beautiful and bright space! I have to second the request for more info on the hardwood floors in the kitchen. They are stunning!! Did you use a Danish oil type of finish, or any stain at all?

17. MB@YarnUiPhoneApp1.5 says:

I like the chalkboard…and in a picture, it really forces you to read. Where can I can get a little one like that today, I wonder? I want one. And the orange tree, how darling…it’s sort of how I feel about my orchid, that I got from my accountant this year. But an orange tree, maybe I can get one to grow here in side my Chicago apartment.

18. cary says:

beautiful… it has such a dreamy quality which makes it seem really peaceful.

19. lua says:

I echo the person who wishes to move in :) Absolutely wonderful! Love your kitchen, so can understand the sentiment, although I don’t quite get what you wrote about the part about being in a big city. I was lucky enough to live in London a bit and always have loved cities. I’m in one now, although we don’t carry Farrow & Ball, which is fabulous paint. This is a favourite place on this site though. Thank-you for showing.

20. Liz says:

Beautiful!! Could you tell me the source of the step stool in the kitchen? I am looking for something similar with that height for my toddler. Thanks for sharing such a gorgeous home!

21. sobrina says:

so simplistic, so gorgeous. i especially love the bedroom!

22. Courtney says:

Liz,
    That step stool is from Ikea! I think we use that stool more than any other piece of furniture in our house! So great for kids!

23. Claire says:

Oh my gosh. What I wouldn’t give for a skylight and backyard like theirs!

24. Kate says:

simply beautiful.

25. Karin says:

Hi Courtney,
    Beautiful beautiful!!
    I love the light brown /cream color sofa, specific brand?
    I also love you have a corded phone (where did you get that one?) and do you really use it with a landline? So much healthier than these ugly dect phones :)

26. Luciana says:

Courtney, such a beautiful home! Your taste is impecable!
    I am desperately looking for a bunny light like the one you have in your daughter’s room, over the dresser. Can you tell me where I can find one like that?
    Thanks!

27. Suzanne says:

What a beautiful home! I’m curious about your hardwood floors in the kitchen. What sort of wood did you use? Are they 5″ planks? As well, could I find out about the finish? It’s all so lovely. Enjoy!

28. Marcela says:

Pretty much died of jealousy from this. It’s very, very Nigella Lawson.

29. Courtney says:

Hi Karin,
    The brown leather sofa is so old. I think we got it from Raft in London. The old French phone in my office I found at the market on Portobello Road, and yes I really use it!

Luciana,
    The bunny light is by Egmont and I got it from Little Baby Company here in the UK.

Suzanne,
    The hardwood floors in our kitchen are actually Oak engineered floorboards (apparently they’re more hard-wearing). They are a honey colour and with a waxed finish (again, apparently this is better wearing because you can wax them again and again when needed).

Hope that helps!
    x Courtney

30. Fantastic space! Love the mustard sofa ;)

31. I like your choice of color for the home, moderately attractive. And the home’s feeling is simply great, I admire it!

32. Rebecca says:

I am midway through renovating my house and I wish I could click my fingers and it look like yours – I love your style! I hope you don’t mind me asking but who made your kitchen cabinets, I love the shaker style!

33. MAUstudio says:

I’m so jealous, love the house, everything is so pretty. I especially like the kitchen with all the like shining through. Love it very much.

34. beautiful home. I like the photo string alot. i will make one in my daughter’s room. Thanks for those pictures.

35. Lohasrus says:

This is a dream come true!

36. Ally Horn says:

Courtney where is the light over your kitchen table from- is it the conran shop one in putty? It is just what I am looking for!!!

37. Ilse says:

Cute detail; rainboots in the hall.

38. Carolyn says:

Hi Courtney loving your house….hope you are still able to answer some questions…just wondering when you painted your walls, in particular your living room, did you use the same colour on the ceiling? We are in the process of painting and I have no idea what you are suppose to do with the ceiling colour esp when the walls are a white shade!

39. Posi Susan says:

Stunning! I’m so happy for you all. I can’t wait to see it in person, hopefully this coming year! See you on the beach in Posi!

40. Nicola says:

Hi I love your kitchen. Where are the units from? They’re gorgeous.

41. jason flashberg says:

Can you tell me about the black chair in your reception room. I love it!

42. Carolee says:

Question?? What size is the Nelson Bubble lamp in your Living room? I recently ordered one from Modernica and want to make sure i got the right size… Is that a large?? Thank you . Your space is amazing!!

43. This home is perfect. We are looking for inspirational homes in the UK to photograph and publish in best selling magazines and newspapers such as Elle Decoration, Red, Living Etc. If you have a home like this please don’t be shy contact us. No cost and we’ll give you a set of professional photographs. Karen

44. Richard says:

Hi there, is the living room ceiling also painted in Strong White, or was a brilliant/total white used? thanks

45. Letisia says:

Beautiful home. Love everything about it. I am about to paint my home with Farrow and Ball Strong White as well. May I ask what colour did you use for the moldings in the room? Thank you:)

46. Barbara DUC says:

Hello, what a beautiful home! We are just renovating our house here in Munich and I am looking for the tiles you put in your laundry room. Could you please tell me where you got them from, if you have any reference no.? By the way, lovely family and I am very happy to follow your instagram account regularly. Thanks in advance for the information.

47. Jo says:

I know this article was from a while ago, but would you be able to tell me where your Kitchen Cabinets are from? I LOVE them! Beautiful house! xx

48. emily says:

Hi There. Am echoing everyone else on here wanting to know where you got your kitchen from as been looking for this design for our renovation. Paint. I see from above thete is a farrow and ball grey to use. Be great if you can semd link to where to get the kitchen. Thanks. Emily

49. Stella says:

To those asking about the kitchen, the units were made by her carpenter Matthew Smith.