sneak peek: caitlin of roost

I have two words for this peek: two months! That’s how long Caitlin Van Horn of Roost has lived in this Birmingham, Alabama, home. After living in Seattle for three years, Caitlin and her husband moved back down to her southern hometown to be closer to family and friends. The house was built in 1940 but has been newly renovated. In decorating the home, Caitlin worked to marry a rustic, antique style with a primitive farmhouse feel. She’s drawn to used pieces of furniture that tell a story and loves how each piece makes the room feel lived in and comfortable. Thanks, Caitlin! — Amy A.

Image above: My mother painted the picture above the mantel. I have a fervent admiration for the English countryside, and I feel she captured it in such a lovely way.

Image above: Although I love all things vintage, it was important to incorporate some newer, more modern pieces. The sofa is new from a great store in Birmingham called At Home. And I found the “You Are My Sunshine” pillows from an antique store here in Birmingham, as well. I am also in love with silhouettes; they remind me of a Jane Austen novel. The ribbon-embroidered lampshade and stand are both from Anthropologie.

Caitlin’s Birmingham home tour continues after the jump . . .

Image above: I found this primitive ironing board at an antique store, and it was in perfect condition! I had trouble figuring out what type of piece to put on this wall because the walk space was narrow. This ironing board fit perfectly, and it makes a great shelf for books, picture frames and my vintage Brownie camera. The wire shelf above is from Anthropologie.

Image above: This is the coziest room of all! These bookshelves are built in and have a lot of storage for all of my old books and nicknacks. I also love the exposed wood beams on the ceiling; they really warm up the room. Paint color (walls): Extra White by Sherman Williams. Built-in shelves are Iceberg by Sherman Williams.

Image above: The kitchen is where I spend most of my time. I love the openness. It is so great to entertain friends and family and have them spill from the kitchen into the family den. All of the countertops are white marble, which really brightens up the room. The counter stools are from Anthropologie.

Image above: Who doesn’t love a farmhouse sink? I love how it adds a vintage feel amongst all of the stainless steel appliances. Cafe curtain from Pottery Barn.

Image above: This freestanding tub is my new best friend. Perfect for a long soak with a glass of bubbly and a book.

Image above: I love having a his-and-her bathroom. We have lots of space for our myriad of products, and I enjoy having a place that is well lit with natural light. Countertops are white marble.

Image above: I have always wanted all-white bedding; it gives the room an airy feel, which I love. Originally, there were some not-so-cute sconces on the wall, but we found these simple sconces (that are actually for bathrooms) from Restoration Hardware. White bedding is from Donna Karen. Pillows from a store in Birmingham called Three Sheets. Bed is the Colette King Bed from Crate and Barrel. Paint color: Extra White by Sherman Williams.

Image above: This old, vintage window cost me $20 and was a perfect fit above the bed. The handmade paper butterflies are from the Etsy store Hip & Clavicle. Paint color: Extra White by Sherman Williams.

Image above: Birdcage is by Ballard Designs, but they no longer sell it. The Swedish Post mailbox is from Mailbox.net.

1. Maya says:

Oh my, that’s gorgeous! And only *two* months?!! Yeesh – I’m embarrassed to think how long it’s taken us to get our place habitable.

And KelliJ, we used BM Chantilly Lace in our bedrooms and we absolutely love it – to me it feels like a cool but happy white. :) I bet it’ll be beautiful!

2. Decor Girl says:

A perfect example of how simplistic elements can come together for a delightful space.

3. Mary says:

Caitlin, I LOVE those You Are My Sunshine pillows! I know they are one of a kind but I would love to know what store in Birmingham they came from (I also live in B’ham…). Do you mind sharing? If not, I totally understand the need to keep the good thrift/antique shops to myself! ;) I have a few I keep to myself too!

4. Caitlin says:

Hi Mary! I got the pillows at Homewood Antiques but have just recently found out where they were made :)

5. I absolutely love what Caitlin has done to their new roost! I’ve actually had the privilege to work with her, and in seeing her space it makes all the more sense why I was immediately drawn to her sense of style and aesthetic. The simplicity, the beauty and the light…love it all. Beautiful images, Coco! xoxo.

6. Caitlin, I can’t believe how quickly you pulled this phenomenally gorgeous home together! You must have been one BUSY gal! I could move right in as I LOVE lots of light too!

7. Amanda says:

Wow!! Absolutely gorgeous!! How I wish my home looked like this!! Love the pictures on the mantle, out of curiosity, does anyone know Caitlins height?

8. Anna Claire says:

It’s a gorgeous home, and I’m so thrilled to see a house featured from my home state of Alabama! I love that she sourced everything, including paint colors. One thing (and I’m sorry if somebody already mentioned this) but the paint is probably by Sherwin Williams…unless there is a paint company named Sherman Williams I’m not aware of? Anyway, I don’t mean to be a troll…this house is divine and I loved the post!

9. Caitlin says:

Anna Claire! YIKES, yes I meant Sherwin Williams. Thank you for pointing that out!

10. Chris says:

This is a beautiful home and Caitlin’s style and voice clearly shows through. Regardless of how much or little resources you have, and where you shop, creating a space that is unique like this is difficult…so kudos to Caitlin :)

I do feel the need to say that, regardless of yearly sales, places like Pottery Barn and Anthro are still so out of reach for many of us who try hard to find good deals on craigslist while making our homes feel lovely.

11. Jackie says:

I hate to come so late to the party, but found this kitchen on Pinterest. I am in love with the faucet in the kitchen and would like to know the brand/source. I am trying to decide between many and none of them are half as gorgeous as this one in the kitchen. Perhaps its really all the marble that is surrounding it, but still….
    THANKS!

12. Debbie says:

Clean white and lots of windows, my two favorite things! Caitlyn has a natural gift when it comes to decorating and style. I loved everything. Wish I had just a bit of her talent.

13. Joy Richardson says:

As a designer in Birmingham, I’m in love with this house! Well done Caitlyn! At Home and Three Sheets are two of my fav locally owned stores in Bham, so I was glad to see them mentioned. Your home is fantastic and inspirational!

14. dot says: