McMasterPieces: Alissia Melka-Teichroew

One of my favorite parts of last month’s design week in NYC was an offsite show curated by Sight Unseen called “McMasterpieces“. McMasterpieces was a celebration of beautiful raw materials from the legendary McMaster-Carr catalog, an industrial parts supplier based in New Jersey. Artists focused on these basic but useful materials to create a wide range of work. My favorite pieces from the show however, belonged to designer Alissia Melka-Teichroew. Along with her intern, Tomm Velthuis, Alissia used leather, birch dowels and rivets to create a trivet, tiered server and, my favorite, these gorgeous leather bags/baskets with bright yellow handles. We are working on a project inspired by these leather pieces for the D*S summer project and I’ve had these images on my desktop for weeks, so I decided to share them here this morning and give you a little peek at what’s been bopping around inside my head since last month. Click here to check out more of Alissia’s work online and the pieces she created for the McMasterpieces show. xo, grace

1. I especial love the colored handle!

2. Frank says:

i really like the second picture, but the last picture seems like a poor way to display the bag. also, if the focus was on raw materials, conceptually i wish the handles were left in their raw, unpainted state.

1. Grace Bonney says:

frank

the last picture is the basket form of this project, not the bag. just wanted to clarify that it’s not being hung open like that ;)

grace

3. m says:

Grace, McMaster-Carr is based in Elmhurst, Il not New Jersey.

1. Grace Bonney says:

m

sorry about that, i’ll look into it. the press release i received said they are in NJ. no sure why…

grace

4. m says:

Hmmm, that is odd. I used to work at their corporate HQ and it was in Elmhurst. Perhaps they’ve moved or someone is just really really hoping they shift over to New Jersey.

5. Kristin Staton-Heit says:

McMaster-Carr is *for sure* based in Elmhurst, IL. I suffer in traffic for an hour to work there every single day! If you ordered it, I picked it and packed it for you!