make it yours: megan fickling

Summer is on everyone’s mind right now, so what better home to pull colors from than the bright and cheery abode of Megan Fickling! Megan shares this one-bedroom apartment with her husband in Santa Monica, California. I adore the bold wall colors and fun design accessories; the space is so lively and fresh! Click here to see the original sneak peak. — Lauren

Palette 1 (Living Room)
A. Pageant Song (Behr), PMS 271; B. Tangy Orange (Benjamin Moore), PMS 164; C. Vivacious Pink (Sherwin-Williams), PMS 211; D. Green Acres (Behr), PMS 7481; E. Sunny Jonquil (Valspar), PMS 108

Roundup 1 (Living Room)
1. Mariposa Pillar Holder, $13; 2. Verdant Acres Dinner Plate, $16; 3. Casablanca Lanterns, $5+; 4. Dutch Wax Ottoman, $198; 5. Dasara Pillow, $68

Palette 2 (Nook)
A. Anthracite (Pratt & Lambert), PMS 447; B. Sunny Jonquil (Valspar), PMS 108; C. Tangy Orange (Benjamin Moore), PMS 164; D. Shagreen (Sherwin-Williams), PMS 5797; E. Florida Gold (Pratt & Lambert), PMS 1365

Roundup 2 (Nook)
1. Carnaby Hollywood Vase, $48; 2. Carnaby Talitha Vase, $68; 3. Vidalia Bud Vase, $28; 4. Vortex Bud Vase, $28; 5. Squirrel Candleholder, $88; 6. Ikea Decorative Tins (in store)

1. Wonderful. Makes me hungry for sherbet. mmm

2. Gina says:

Oh, this color is perfect. Wakes me up on this sleepy day!

3. Lucy says:

simply beautiful. Love the color schemes in each room. Very summery!

4. Emily says:

there are similar plates to the anthro plate at target right now for way cheap. sadly they’re not ceramic… I love all the colors!

5. Nieves says:

I simply love it!

6. Lizet says:

Love this color palette! The colors are so summer and I need to buy new paints.

7. Nicole says:

I LOVE the coral color.

8. Jenny says:

wow that was gorgeous. I love the mix of bright colors.

9. YAY!!! More color!!!!!

10. kara rane says:

sensual,,bright,,pure ♡~ all that I adore about Cali..nice light too.

11. Lindsey says:

what is that decoration on the yellow wall in the first photo? They are very interesting!

12. Love these rooms. So full of life. So vibrant.

13. Emily says:

great color combos – so bright and cheerful. really interesting how they chose bright green for the wall in photo #1

14. jeanie says:

big impact made with inexpensive items when grouped together create a real visual punch! love the juicy summer colors.

15. Rose says:

Reminds me of some of Carlos Mota’s work– he’s a stylist and International Style Editor for Architectural Digest. Check out this article about him on Theodora & Callum’s blog, it’s a fun read:

16. Meg says:

Hi Lindsey, the wall decorations on the orange wall are something I bought on a trip to Bali, Indonesia. Meg :)

17. wendy says:

Lovely bright colors!

18. Lucy Sherrill says:

Grace, I have wanted to purchase “Laduree–The Sweet Recipes” since it appeared in your Dec. 21, 2010 post. I have not been able to locate a seller in the U.S.–have tried all the major booksellers, special order through my independent seller, etc. Do you know how I can get a copy? Thanks.

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Lucy –
      I’m sorry you’re having such difficulty tracking the book down. I found a couple of site with links to purchase the book:
      (overstock is saying that it is not released and won’t ship until 8/15)

Hopefully one of these will work for you.
      Good luck,

19. Allie says:

I love designs from Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters as much everyone else, but I am disgusted to have learned about recent accusations that UO (owned by the same company that also owns Anthropologie) has been stealing designs from independent designers, mass producing them and selling them at a lower cost with no acknowledgment: As a community of people that are vigilant about intellectual property rights ( and also passionate about supporting up-and-coming designers and artists, I urge that we think long and hard about supporting companies (by showcasing their designs) that flagrantly violate the policies and ethics of our community.

1. Grace Bonney says:

please read this regretsy article about this issue ( i think that example was a poor one if you want to try to put a blanket complaint against UO. very similar designs existed in the market before that particular etsy seller was making her work and i don’t think it’s the strongest example with which to attack UO. have they stolen from indie artists? absolutely. but have they also supported and sold their work legitimately? absolutely. it’s never a clear one-way case with issues like this, and i think if we educate ourselves about each case and make an informed decision, we stand a better chance of really getting to the core of an issue and deciding how best to handle it.