in the kitchen with: stacy newgent’s sweet corn and raspberry ice cream

I’ve already gone a little crazy for frozen treats this year with the arrival of the book Paletas by Fany Gerson and the discovery of a fantastic gelateria a short bike ride from my home. This week’s recipe for Sweet Corn and Raspberry Ice Cream is an unusual combination, but photographer Stacy Newgent assures me that it’s her favorite flavor from the newly released book, Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams at Home, which she was lucky enough to photograph last summer. If using sweet corn in ice cream isn’t quite your thing, you can try Top Chef Harold Dieterle’s recipe for creamed corn, or you can skip corn all together and try Stacy’s first recipe for apple dumplings. — Kristina

About Stacy: Stacy Newgent is a freelance photographer (and aspiring home cook) based in Indianapolis, Indiana.

See the recipe after the jump!

Sweet Corn and Raspberry Ice Cream
Makes a generous quart

• 1 ear sweet corn, husked
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • Black Raspberry Sauce (see below)

1. Slice the kernels from the corn cob, then “milk” the cob by scraping it with the back of your knife to extract the liquid; reserve the kernels and the liquid.

2. Mix about 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl to make a smooth slurry.

3. Whisk the cream cheese and salt in a medium bowl until smooth.

4. Fill a large bowl with ice and water.

Combine the remaining milk with the cream, sugar, corn and juices and corn syrup in a 4-quart saucepan; bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat and boil for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat, and force the mixture through a sieve into a bowl, leaving the corn “cases” behind. Return the mixture to the saucepan and gradually whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Bring back to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring with a heat-proof spatula, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.

Gradually whisk the hot-milk mixture into the cream cheese until smooth. Pour the mixture into a 1-gallon Ziploc freezer bag, and submerge the sealed bag into the ice bath. Let stand, adding more ice as necessary, until cold, about 30 minutes.

1. Pour the ice cream base into a frozen canister, and spin until thick and creamy.

2. Pack the ice cream into a storage container, alternating it with layers of the Black Raspberry Sauce (see below) and ending with a spoonful of sauce; do not mix. Press a sheet of parchment directly against the surface, and seal with an airtight lid.

3. Freeze in the coldest part of your freezer until firm, at least 4 hours.

Raspberry, Black Raspberry or Blackberry Sauce
Makes about 1 1/4 cup

• 2 cups raspberries, black raspberries or blackberries
  • 1 cup sugar

1. Combine the berries and sugar in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

2. Continue boiling, stirring occasionally, until it reaches 220ºF (5 to 8 minutes). Let cool slightly, then force through a sieve to remove seeds (or leave a few seeds in there just to prove you made it). Refrigerate until cold before using.

Ice Cream Cones

• 2 large egg whites
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour

1. Turn on the waffle cone iron.

2. Combine the egg whites and cream in a medium bowl with a whisk. Add the sugar, salt and both extracts, and whisk for about a minute to combine well. Whisk in the melted butter. Add the flour, whisking only until the lumps have disappeared and the batter is smooth.

3. Make the cones according to the directions for your waffle cone iron. To shape the cones, see the photo below. When you get really good, there should be no hole in the bottom of the cone!

4. The cones are best the same day they are made, but they will keep for a week in a sealed container.

Recipe reproduced with permission from Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams at Home cookbook; images by Stacy Newgent, using blackberries because she couldn’t find raspberries!

Why Stacy Chose This Recipe
Last summer I was lucky enough to photograph this cookbook for Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream and eat tons of delicious ice cream! I remember loving this flavor — I love corn! I know it sounds weird in ice cream, but trust me — it’s amazing with the fruit sauce mixed in — really, really delicious. This was actually the first time I’ve ever made ice cream (or ice cream cones). I was so excited when it turned out and I could actually scoop it. I’m going to be making a lot of ice cream with this cookbook.

1. Love this post! Raspberry & corn is such a creative combination and it sounds delish. Next week is ice cream week at la domestique to celebrate the beginning of summer!

2. sammy t says:

gonna try this at home for sure.

3. Katie says:

Looks brilliant. I’ve had a sweet corn gelato paired with blackberries, peach sorbet, and lime before, and it was amazing. (For those of you in the Manhattan area, it was at Batali’s Otto–they serve wild and wonderful combinations like this year-round, though of course, the combinations vary with the seasons.) If I ever get an ice cream maker, you can be sure that this ice cream will find its way to my freezer.

4. * * always so happy to see stacy’s stuff on here. she’s fabulous and the ice cream looks delish! wish i was around to try some…

5. Megan says:

Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream might be one of my top five favorite things about being alive. If you are lucky enough to live near one of the scoop shops, you probably agree. A little birdie told me that Jeni’s newly released cookbook is on its way to my house for my upcoming wedding anniversary, but I might break down and make this recipe before it gets there. The Ohio Sweet Corn flavor is always my favorite summer seasonal flavor in stores and I cannot wait to try it myself. Yum!

6. jen says:

sounds amazing! and i love stacy’s photos!

7. Melanie P says:

Jeni’s has had this ice cream in her shops for a little over a year now, and my husband is nuts about it. We were at the book release party last week, and we are still trying to decide which flavor to make first.

In case Stacy visits here — the book is so beautiful to look at. It looks so clean and fresh like her shops do. Thank you!

8. Stephanie says:

Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams has an online forum on their website for tips and discussions about all her recipes – including Sweet Corn with Raspberries – yum!

9. Laura H. says:

Ok, I’ve looked at this post 5 times now and I think I’m intrigued enough to try this recipe! Thanks for the inspiration :)

10. Sweet corn desserts are fantastic! This recipe sounds so good for June and July.

For anyone who is interested in other sweet corn desserts, Karen Demasco has a recipe for sweet corn custard with blueberry compote that is on point. Thanks for sharing this!

11. Sarah says:

I am making this as soon as I get home from school. Thank you!

12. This is the kind of desert I would make in secret for my honey . . . I’d tell him what was in it only after he had tried and loved it!

Of course, he did just see me ogling Stacy’s pretty blog simultaneously, so here’s hoping his eyes were distracted by the bright, fresh [delicious!] photography

13. chika says:

aww sorry my last comment here might have gone down as a spam or a ‘self promotion’ – it was not meant to be! sorry (sigh). just wanted to say that i’ve tried and loved sweet corn ice cream and will definitely try this one when i get my hands on sweet local fresh corn! that’s all. anyways, thanks for sharing the recipe. (no need to publish this- thanks!)

14. That looks wonderful…I made corn ice cream many many moons ago and was laughed out of countenance…perhaps I will receive more respect when I try this recipe…thanks!! Patricia

15. Oh my goodness. I’ve never made ice cream before (or even TASTED any ice cream like this), but it sounds and looks absolutely fabulous! I cannot wait to give it a try!

16. Kitchen Boy says:

Its alright if we combine with chocolate favor ?

17. SJ says:

Light corn syrup? Surely there are other, healthier alternatives for sweetening ice cream. I use natural maple syrup or honey.

18. Monica says:

I don’t know if I prefer the photographs or the recipe, everything is fantastic!

19. stacy says:

Thanks so much everyone for your comments! I’d love to hear how it turns out for you if you make it! Kitchen Boy- I don’t know if that would be good or not- let us know how it turns out with chocolate :) Happy Monday everyone!

20. Kimberly says:

Looks divine – although your raspberries look exactly like our blackberries!

21. Kiersten says:

I live just around the block from Jeni’s first store… it is the most fabulous, divine ice cream in the world… The only thing keeping me in Ohio is this ice cream. Please start expanding nationally so I can move!

22. Julia says:

Ah-Mazing! I never knew how bad I wanted sweet corn and raspberry ice cream in my life, until now. I need some, STAT!

23. laura says:

cannot wait to try to veganize this. wowzers! already bookmarked it with my account.

24. How interesting! I’ve never tried sweet corn ice cream, it must have a very pleasant milky flavor!

25. Raspberries are a healthy, delicious addition to your diet.

26. Mona says:

I made this last week and it was absolutely delicious!! I used brown rice syrup in place of the corn syrup and it worked out great. Go make this now!!

27. These are honestly the best pictures of ice-cream I’ve ever seen. Anywhere. I don’t even like raspberry ice-cream. You should submit them to a magazine. I’m STILL salivating.

28. sara says:

Yum, I really love Jeni’s ice cream, and this recipe looks totally delicious. Love the contrast of colors – so beautiful! And the flavor sounds really interesting and tasty.

29. Ellen Coule says:

Yum! That looks delicious. Will have to try it at home :)