four eyes

When I was in high school I was one of those weird kids who really wanted to have glasses and braces. So many of my friends were suffering through having both, but not having what everyone else had seemed an even worse fate at that age. So when I turned seventeen and found out I needed glasses (badly) I was overly excited to pick out a pair of frames. I loved them so much that I haven’t changed the frames since…I was seventeen. Until yesterday I’ve worn the same frames for thirteen years (I changed the lenses a few times but they were always way behind my contacts) and I finally had to break down and admit that the black wire frames that were once cool in high school look painfully out of date now. So afternoon spent browsing through a million different styles, I settled on a safe (but cute) pair of tortoise shell Oliver Peoples that look like the older sister of my high school frames. With glasses on the brain I stumbled on these cute spectacle stick notepads at See Jane Work (designed by Red Bird Ink) and thought they’d be the perfect way to drop my parents a note and tell them I’d finally, after all these years, surrendered my beat up frames and gotten a new pair. If you’re looking for some new sticky notes, or just a cute reminder to change your frames, click here to pick up this set for $8. xo, grace

1. Biscuit says:

Those look SO cool! =)

2. Cristina says:

I also changed my frames last month. Black Gucci frames and they were 14 years old!… And the new ones are also similar to the previous one… Black Ray-ban semi ribbed http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/ray-ban-eyewear-rx-6196-gents-black-40929015.htm

3. i love these! i got new frames on friday too!

4. I love your new frames – so cute! I was one of those kids who always wanted glasses, too. I finally got my wish a few years back and I’ve always loved wearing them. Those little notepads are so cute, too!

5. David says:

Like the new frames, and, as always, I love See Jane Work! Their products are great.

6. Adore these note pads…As for the glasses, I was your polar opposite Grace…resisted wearing them until I couldn’t fake sight anymore… Now I’m resigned to them. Maybe I need to perk up my look with new frames

7. Molly says:

Your new glasses are almost exactly like my last pair, which were Oliver Peoples. I loved the pink inside. I’m the opposite of you in that I want to change my frames all the time. If I could afford it, I’d be a toned-down version of Elton John.

1. Grace Bonney says:

molly

i’d love to see your toned down elton john style- that sounds amazing :)

g

8. Susan says:

I love my Oliver Peoples…tortoise! (wonder if they are the same?!)

9. sallie kate says:

Oh, but did you have a pair of non-prescription glasses like I did? And now that I need correction, I still think of glasses as an accessory. More expressive than practical 8) Those notepads are too cute!

10. tada! shop says:

aren’t these fantastic! i picked them up, along with the note cards too at a local stationary store. i did just buy a new pair of sunglasses, maybe this was my subconscious cue.

11. Kiki says:

Once I needed glasses I became a collector like Elton John too. Buying glasses is like buying a facial feature.

12. James Martin says:

redbird, you rock. :)

13. Monica says:

omg when I was in kindergarden my friends and I would play house and every time I’d insist on playing the “sixteen year old babysitter with braces” (no joke)… later in life I tried to lie in eye exams to get glasses. I love finding others who felt at least somewhat similar!
    …also, the cards are SUPER cute

14. caroline says:

funny. I went through that too. I loved how some kids had their little glasses case and would pull it out during a lesson. I so wished that I had glasses. then I got ‘em and not so fun. then the idea of putting on contacts with the little case and saline solution sounded so fun too. funny how things turn out bc although it’s been a daily routine of mine, I would so wish for great vision. same with braces. I needed them but didn’t get them until high school and thought those kids who gets to put rubberband were lucky cause it seemed so fun. such a silly child I was. I got braces and hated them. poor teeth, they hurt so much.

15. Katie H. says:

I think I have the exact Oliver Peoples frames you described!! I love them and get many many compliments. enjoy!

16. evaone says:

i got an idea, i plan to change my eyeglass frame also… thank you

17. Jana says:

This is a super old post, but I lost the exact pair of Oliver Peoples glasses and am scouring to re-buy them and get my frames in. Do you remember the name of the pair?