diy project: cobbler’s stand candle holder

When the day comes to a close during winter, I find myself inside with my laptop, but that changes as the days get longer and the nights get warmer. There aren’t many things more relaxing than watching the sun set from the view of my front porch on a warm summer night. Candle light flickering just adds to the peaceful mood. The thing about candles and being outside is that you always have to keep wind in mind. This simple candle holder made of a cobbler’s shoe stand and mold is heavy and strong enough to withstand the wind, and it adds an eclectic, romantic feel to a basic candle in a mason jar. Plus, it is easily moved inside during rainy or cold months. — Ashley

Have a DIY project you’d like to share? Shoot me an email with your images right here! (Low res, under 500k per image, please.)

Materials

• hardback book (I wanted a base a bit wider than my stand for extra stability. I used an old book I found for $1, but you could use scrap wood for your base as well.)
  • cobbler’s shoe stand and mold
  • mason jar
  • candle
  • sand
  • four 3/4 inch screws
  • drill
  • crocheted trim
  • Crafter’s Goop (optional)

Instructions

1. Mark with a pencil where your screws will go to attach the stand to the book base.

2. Drill your holes using a drill bit that is the same diameter as your screws. The size of your screws will depend on the slots on your cobbler’s stand.

3. Attach the stand to the book using screws.

4. Attach your trim to the jar. You could also use wire or fabric. The main concern is to keep the trim or wire away from the opening of the jar and flame. If you use a thinner trim or wire, you will want to put two beads of Crafter’s Goop on the top of the shoe mold to keep the wire/thin trim from sliding.

5. Now turn off your computer, head outside and enjoy the evening!

1. ROXY MARJ says:

WOAH! You changed your layout!!!! This feels like when I was on facebook and they would change their layouts every 6 months or so…was hard to get used to at first but then after two weeks I liked it SOOOO much better! :)

+ I am just a creature of habit I guess…. : /

2. Lauren says:

Such a cute idea! :)

3. I like this idea! My only complaint is that the cobbler stand and mold is expensive to get ahold of!

4. AshleyAnn says:

Shaughn, I found mine for $10.00 at a flea market!

5. amy says:

beautiful! I love nights like those…

6. Angie says:

So many ads!!!! Or, are the ads just bigger and brighter? It’s going to take awhile to get used to the new site. Design Sponge is still better than most shelter mags and a heck of a lot cheaper.

7. Kristina says:

I absolutely love this!!!

8. Christine says:

I love that idea! It is perfect for a wedding centerpiece!

9. K.M. says:

This strikes me as a little…. weird. Why a book? Why a cobbler’s stand? The objects seem very mish-moshed together and don’t really look all that nice, in my opinion.

10. Anita says:

I’m sad about the re-design. I ADORE D*S, but the new site doesn’t make me want to come back as often as I did before. Contrast is too high with that dark background. I miss the old one, much more inviting and friendly and DYI’ish, too.

11. Angela says:

This looks so beautiful! Now I just have to try to find a cobbler’s shoe stand and mold…

12. Susan Davis says:

I find this project to be off-putting with an aesthetic that is just short of kitsch. The whole assemblage is kinda tacky.

13. Katie says:

If you like it, you like it. If you don’t then you don’t. Why leave a negative comment?

14. Claire says:

I think all opinions should be heard, the good and the bad. Why does everyone have to like this? Why are positive comments the only acceptable comments? Shouldn’t there be some honest discussion about design standards on this “design” blog?

I think there is often an overly positive response to some fairly aesthetically dubious content on this website.

15. Oprah says:

I agree with Claire, I think negative opinions should also be heard. If not, then this site hates freedom of thought and speech(®)

1. Grace Bonney says:

oprah and claire

i’m not sure why you’re under the impression that negative opinions aren’t being heard. yours are both being published and read, no one is trying to stifle them, or your trademarked freedoms.

grace

16. LinLou says:

I’d do whatever Oprah says, Grace..

17. Adorable…maybe more so because of how quirky and unique it is…

18. Faggotcrusher says:

How nice and beautifully designed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Analrapist says:

Reminds me a little of Picassos Man Do Cow and late expressionistic Warhol.

Is it for sale?

20. pupperwupper says:

loks like a fire hazard, be careful!!!!!!