DIY best of: organization

I think it’s the inspiration and motivation I get from seeing other people’s homes, or maybe it’s the relaxation of being in a clean hotel with modern fixtures, but organization becomes very important to me when I get back to my house after a long trip. Since the weather is improving, I’m feeling ready to tackle spring cleaning head on — just in time too, since summer is right around the corner! Here are some of our favorite DIY projects for organizing loose items and clothing. There’s something great for every room in the house and for storage big and small. Enjoy, and happy spring cleaning! — Kate

Image above: Grace keeps her keys handy on this pretty patterned key rack.

More organizational DIY projects continue after the jump!

Image above: Brenna’s secret storage books, all made from paper and cardboard!

Image above: Create a compelling art installation on your wall that can also keep your clothing organized with Morgane’s drawer hangers.

Image above: If you tend to run out the door forgetting the essentials, you might want to make one of these streamlined felt door organizers to keep things where they should be.

Image above: Add a bit of nature to your organizing with these easy-to-make twig pushpins.

Image above: Derek and Lauren’s nifty pegboard wall unit.

Image above: Lovely driftwood rack from Jess Chamberlain at Sunset Magazine.

Image above: Jot down all the random notes and thoughts that would soon be forgotten in these recycled scrap paper notebooks from the BBB Craft Sisters.

Image above: Pretty up your wall with a papered coat rack.

Image above: If your kitchen suffers from a lack of shelf space, try this colorful pegboard DIY to create both decor and storage on your wall.

Image above: Jennifer Wolfe’s custom baroque-style corkboard.

Image above: Haylie’s beautiful wooden spool hooks are perfect for holding jewelry and small accessories.

1. Ta says:

I like these ideas! Super crafty.

2. Sunny says:

Ah! This came at just the right time. I’ve been in need of a new organization strategy. Now, if you could just do a post about cute ways to organize (or hide) power tools in a small apartment with no garage.

3. Elaina says:

So great! The driftwood rack is fabulous. Also, I work for Cook’s Illustrated — always nice to see the mag in it’s “natural environment” :)

4. Leslie says:

These are really cute ideas. I especially love the secret storage books! Ah, so cute!

5. jodi says:

I love this! Organization is my number one must-have in my house. I’m so excited to go through each of them. :) By the way, I don’t think I’ve mentioned before, but I LOVE the blog re-design!

6. Some of these ideas are really interesting, especially the kitchen pegboard.

7. Ihilani says:

Oooh I love ALL these ideas! There’s nothing like coming home to a beautifully organized home. I cant wait to be in my own place so I can start utilizing these and other great ideas! Thanks for rounding these up:)

8. So helpful! Lovely round up. I also saw another idea for jewelry organization recently — using an upside down old rake head mounted onto the wall, to hang necklaces and bracelets on. Love all these ideas! Thank you!

9. Emily Amy says:

Wow. What wonderful ideas! Thanks so much for the inspiration.

10. Blair says:

What great photos! I love the kitchen peg board, I may have to try that!

11. I will be scouring my grandparent’s rocky beach for driftwood. Thanks!

12. I love your drawer hanger. So cute

13. Katie says:

Pretty, functional, and DIY?
    That’s probably the best combination around.

14. Katie says:

and p.s. that annoying ad (on top of the page) seems a little further over now–I can see almost all of the ribbon logo. Yay!

15. Sandra says:

i love me a bit of organisational craftyness – i think i will make the felt door hangers for the kids rooms for them to keep a journal and special pen in. thanks x

16. I simply love that Secret Storage Book idea. I def have to do this project! Thank you so much for sharing these ideas.

17. I love all of these organizational pieces, they’re so fun and practical!

18. tatiana says:

Now I have a use for all the lovely drawer pulls from Anthropologie- hook art! Pretty and practical, two of my favourite things.

19. reeve says:

love all of these! Thanks for sharing!

20. Love the twig pushpins!

21. Kelly says:

I saw this just in time for my reorganizing/spring cleaning time! Thanks for sharing them.

22. Elena says:

Perfect! I’ve been searching for fun, upcyclsih ways to organize my home (I especially love the felt door organizer and secret storage books)! Thanks for this helpful post!

23. LOVE these!

Have you done a Best Of: Outdoor Spaces? I would LOVE to see that!

24. So great! These are really cute ideas. I love the driftwood rack.