before & after: pallet bench and serving tray

I suspect we’ll have to do a roundup of great pallet before & afters soon because they are constantly coming in. These two projects by Marianna and her boyfriend were made from the same old wood pallets, and both exemplify the beautiful character that pallet wood can add to your home-decor projects, large and small. The tray is such a simple little piece that I’m sure will get a ton of use, and I love how the bench transforms that corner into a lovely little rest stop. Great work, Marianna! — Kate

See more of Marianna’s bench and tray project after the jump!

Time: 1 hour per tray, 1.5 days for the bench

Cost: $5 per bench, $0 for trays

Basic Steps: We used black gate hinges that we found at Home Depot. We sanded them down to give them a more rustic look. We used two per bench. Finding the right palette was key; taking it all apart and sanding it down was essential. Double check your measurements; especially, pay close attention to warped wood, as this may change measurements. Make sure you sand down the pieces very well. This was particularly important for the bench, since we use this for seating. We suggest adding padded felt to the bottom, so your beautiful hardwood floors don’t get scratched! This also comes in handy when you want to rearrange; you can just slide the benches around. — Marianna

1. Damian says:

Hi there ,

Same as above, I have an abundance of pallets, and would love a tutorial on this.
    I see people have been requesting this for a couple of years which makes me wonder is the information available at all.

Love your site, please let us all know what the story is with the build.

2. Laura Hartman says:

Thank you, Grace for posting this and putting up with everything everyone says! Could I potentially get a tutorial of how to do this, if possible? Thank you!

3. Eric says:

Are their instructions on how to make? I need this in my life!!!!!

4. Bree says:

I’m obsessed with this and would love a tutorial!

5. rose cahill says:

love it! are u sending directions/tutorial for the bench? i need one :)

6. Maria says:

preciosa fotografía!!. Soy de Barcelona y no hablo inglés!. Lo siento!!!