amanda wachob tattoo

I’ve been thinking about tattoos a lot lately as I creep closer to getting my own. Since it’s something that lasts forever (gulp), I want to be extra sure, so I’ve been trying to find the perfect artist to finish the piece I want. While my personal taste leans more toward really clean line art, this work by tattoo artist Amanda Wachob in NYC has officially blown my mind.

I discovered Amanda’s work through Amy Merrick last week. A reader is getting some flower photos Amy took for D*S (how cool is that?) turned into a tattoo, and Amanda is the artist she’s chosen. I didn’t have a chance to dive into Amanda’s portfolio until last night, but when I did, I found myself saying over and over again, “Is that really a tattoo?” Amanda’s work goes way beyond what I’ve ever expected from or seen in contemporary tattoo work — it looks like watercolor and oil paint applied directly to the body without a needle. I’m dying to see some of these tattoos in person — I can only imagine how impressive they look in real life.

As if Amanda’s contemporary work wasn’t mind-blowing enough, she’s also done a conceptual series of tattoos called “Bloodlines” using distilled water instead of ink. The lack of ink means the tattoo isn’t permanent, and as the needle mark heals, the design slowly fades. It’s such a beautiful idea and would be a really interesting way to experiment with using your body as a canvas.

I know tattoos aren’t for everyone, but if you’re an art appreciator, I hope you’ll take some time to check out Amanda’s work online — it’s really spectacular and definitely worth checking out. Thanks to Amy for the tip! xo, grace

1. Sam says:

Wow! These are absolutley gorgeous. I’m really interested in the diluted water pieces, they are all so wonderfully simplisitic and their fading nature is really intriguing. I also like her other pieces, especially her birds. They look so realistic, like they could fly right off a person’s skin! The abstract ones are really cool, they have a lot of motion in them, they all look very swirly and vibrant. Very lovely.

2. bianca says:

I’m really frustrated by all the harsh judgement in some of these comments. I can never understand how some people think that just because something is on the internet, it’s a free for all to impose an opinion- especially when it’s concerning another person’s body.

These tattoos are unlike anything I’ve ever seen, thank you for posting them.

3. Rose says:

These images are so stunning…. People who have tattoos are strong, brave personalities who are not ashamed to show who they are. I am an artist and too commitment phobic to choose anything permanently, really my taste changes as I explore different styles. If that weren’t my specific personality, I would get one. They are such a beautiful way to express yourself and usually tattoos have a deep meaning for the wearer. They can memorialize someone lost or signify a deep experience such as beating cancer. Thank you, Grace for posting such an amazing artist with such a distinct style.

4. Stella says:

I think the diluted water tattoos are genius! Perfect for memorial tattoos that can gradually fade away and extends the goodbye.

5. Liz says:

Wow, so beautiful and unique! I especially love the chicadee!

6. Laura says:

I am in LOVE!!! I absolutely love the style and mood of her work. Bummer that I’m in California… My husband and I have discussed getting similar abstract tattoos since we got married. Would it be a complete faux pas to ask if anyone knows of a fantastic conceptual, ‘no black outline’ tattoo artist in Southern CA? This smaller forum seems less intimidating than trying to wade through the massive broader tattoo culture. Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful artist, Grace!

7. verhext says:

Grace – thanks for addressing the “low class” comment. How incredibly offensive.

8. Anna @ D16 says:

I tweeted a link to this post earlier today because I was struck by the beauty of Amanda Wachob’s work and her ability to execute it in such a non-traditional way. Despite being tattoo-less myself and having no desire to be tattooed in the future, I’m really kinda taken aback by some of these comments.

Doing ANYTHING to your body, which it’s piercing your ears, getting a tattoo, having a certain haircut, getting cosmetic surgery, or even choosing a particular lipstick is an extremely person thing. Part of being a feminist (and a humanist, for that matter) is celebrating the power we have over our own bodies.

I’ve always looked “different” by choice, and as much as I accept the reality that we live in a world full of judgements based on looks, I actually think that having to exist outside of a professional world that would scoff at dyed hair or crazy shoes has helped to keep me focused on a career path that encourages creativity in appearance and self-expression through style.

I have no doubt that Grace will do what’s right for her.

9. Kimber says:

wowwww stunning. im not loving the brushstroke tattoos but i do love the amazing artisty behind them. but the amazing “watercolor” flower and the little bird? soooo dreamy!

the anti-tattoo comments are so unnecessary. Grace is a big girl people. i always roll my eyes when people say to an adult “tattoos are permanent you know.” …yes, thank you for the news flash? and when your old and saggy and your tattoo is saggy…. who CARES at that point, your whole body is saggy mush anyway.

geez people. take a chill pill. whats “low class” is being blatantly rude.

thanks for the post grace — i have never seen tattoos quite like these. and just because the bold brushstroke designs arent my style doesnt mean im not blown away by the talent or can’t be inspired by them! (i am)

10. Sam says:

I wanted to respond to the people saying that instead of a tattoo, you should get her art on a canvas. I want to pose that a human body IS a canvas, a shaped and twisted and and curvy one. If you look at the work on Amanda’s page, you’ll notice that her canvas work is MUCH different than her tattoo work. She is responding differently to the material in front of her, to different results. The tattoo’s are purposely placed to accentuate and curve and fit with the human form. The colors play off of the skin tone as a base. You CAN’T get Amanda’s tattoo work on a flat white canvas, because that requires a different approach and style. (Not that her canvas work isn’t lovely too. It is, just in a different way.)

11. lauren says:

I really think that Amanda’s work is beautiful. It is nice to see a new approach to that medium.
    Making rash judgements about someones personality based on their outward appearance is a much uglier quality than any tattoo.

12. VD'O says:

I love abstract tattoos, super original. beautiful ;D

13. soffi says:

love it!

14. Nancy says:

I have a seminary professor friend who says, “Tattoos are the stained glass windows of today.” Some may assume he is dismissing them as passe. On the contrary, I think he means they are artistic, colorful, on a temple, illuminating and they often convey a meaningful story about the person’s life or experience. I was quite impressed with a gorgeous vine running up a tri-athelete’s calf which incorporated flowers and birds of the cities where she competed. Colorful storytelling. Interesting. Amanda’s work is lovely.

15. Hi!
    Bloodlines are a well known tattoo technique.
    Tattoo artists ‘bloodline’ some of the tattoo lines before using ink on them, so the stencil won’t rub off when they are tattooing.
    Anyway, Amanda’s work is great.

16. lora hart says:

I’ve never seen anything like this in my life. Just so beautiful! I’m fifty five, or will be soon, and if I lived closer or could afford the trip as well as the tat, I’d let Amanda ink me in a heartbeat!

17. Shaunie says:

I absolutely LOVE Amanda’s work! Next to Peter Aurisch tattoos hers might be my fave!!!!

Peter Aurich’s AMAZING work: http://peteraurisch.com/?page_id=232

18. des says:

her work is beautiful, i am in awe! and since you’re considering a tattoo look up white ink ones. i have a 3/4 sleeve done + i love it. its very delicate, clean + still gives me the edginess of a tattoo.

19. Mrs. Vallejos says:

It’s nice to see the tattoo form go beyond the “fill in the outlines” type of art. I also think this will age better without the outlines which always turn blue grey over time.

20. Kristy says:

I personally don’t think I’ll ever get a tattoo (though I have been verryy tempted), but these are so lovely, I’ve never seen anything like them. They’re like abstract paintings or remind me of the scrap paper that you test your watercolors on. It’s such a “duh” yet genius idea!

But as for body decorating, I suppose I’ll stick to dying my hair purple and green and henna tattoos.

Let us know if she ever comes out with a line of temporary tattoos!

21. alisa says:

Grace,

I don’t comment often, but your website is a daily source of beauty and inspiration in my life. To see you addressing your own desire for and decision to get a tattoo, with the example of such a fresh and lovely aesthetic, is awesome. I have one tattoo (it is a bowler hat at the intersection of the nape of my neck and upper back/shoulders, very graphic and awesome – I get comments like “uhhhh…you know you have a top hat on your back? as well as “um…s’cuse me….I really love your tattoo.”). I’ve wanted a full sleeve for the longest time, but I am holding off until I find something that feels right. All of this is to say, thank you for posting the work of a talented (woman) tattoo artist! I hope you find more inspirational tattoo artists and share their work – if anybody can help me find what I’m looking for, it’s you. Also, I can’t resist mentioning the naysayers – it makes me so angry that people are trying to talk you out of a decision you are making for yourself, your own body, and based on the ugliest assumptions and prejudices. Live and let live, people! Thank you for bringing the discussion of a beautiful and ancient art form to your design forum. Who knew this was a community who needed its eyeballs opened?

22. traci says:

I’ve really been digging the brush stroke look without black outlines although some claim that they don’t age well. I don’t know how much faith I put into that though.
    I wanted tattoos since I was a teen but always put it off until my brother died at 25 and I decided that I was going to make the most of each day and finally got my first tattoo, definitely not something I regret.
    Something else to consider, white ink. I have a white ink tattoo on the inside of my left wrist (husbands initial). I didn’t want something obvious as I do work in a professional atmosphere. After it healed it looks like a light scar, not a tattoo. And since it blends in to my skin tone no one notices it until I point it out. Even my dad hasn’t noticed it and I’ve never tried to cover it. I love it so much, I’m thinking of eventually getting a chest piece of all white ink.

23. carol says:

Grace, I am telling your what is the experience in our group of friends. Just adding to the conversation here, I hope politely :) To tell you more: In particular, one of my friends got a smallish khoi fish in her ankle. I always really loved it, and she has taken good care of it putting sun screen and all. It does not look bad at all. But she is just sick of it. The fact that they are permanent seems to be the problem. It just happens very often, whether you want to accept it or not. I don’t get the social class argument, and it is not acceptable that people gets forced to cover them up in some professional environments. Fortunately, I don’t think the majority of people are judgemental. at least around here.

24. Carrie welsh says:

I am in love.

25. Terri Ann says:

Those blood line tattoos are lovely and really interesting. When I got my second tattoo I wanted my lilies to have a delicate appearance. Because of that the artist had to blood line the outside so he still had the design to color in once the stencil wiped away. Blood lines sure don’t hurt any less than the ink!

26. Cici says:

As someone with MANY tattoos I can tell you this: the painterly style of tattoo generally does not hold up over time. There’s a reason why you haven’t seen this style very often-the work does not last. Tattoos without strong contrast tends to look like melted crayons after a few years, especially with sun exposure.

I’m all for getting whatever tattoo you want. You should just be make a fully informed decision.

27. Alethea says:

My back is almost completely tattooed in a Japanese design and I have a traditional American barn swallow hidden on the inside of each bicep. I got all my tattoos in my early twenties. I’m 40 now and not really into tattoos anymore, but I don’t regret it. I like that my body tells the story of my life, reflecting my past interests as well as my current style. Whether the design you get now is the one you’d pick twenty years from now is really beside the point. Tattoos are about commitment in throwaway culture. Also, I’ve seen old ladies with tattoos, and I think these women look beautiful. I get tickled wondering about what stories THEY could tell!

28. Rose says:

I think the tattoo art shown is pretty amazing even though I don’t have any myself. What I would like to add though is that if you prefer that the above discussion should focus purely on the art itself then maybe it would have been wiser not to personalise it with reference to getting one yourself as I think that really steered the discussion in a different direction: there will always be those for and against tattoos and in a discussion forum people are bound to make comment.

29. Tessa says:

Remarkable! A feat to pull off on paper let alone skin – bravo!
    Grace I hope you find just what you are looking for for your botanical tattoo – love the nasturtiums on that book cover…oh and the pomegranate!! sigh.

30. Morgan says:

I happened to come across this blog while looking at Amanda Wachob’s work, and after reading all of the comments I wanted to make a point similar to Alethea’s. I got a tattoo about 2 years ago and this was my reasoning: I got something that I designed, that is on my ribs and is hidden in almost every setting, including in some bathingsuits, and I got it to remind myself of who I am today. I wholeheartedly believe that it is so important to remember who you have been and where your life has taken you. I got it to remind myself that I should always do whatever I want, regardless of anything and everyone else. I cannot see myself every regretting expressing myself in this manner, and even if I “get tired” of the design, or it gets “ugly and saggy,” it will still remind me of a time in my life where I was free. Plus, who cares what it looks like when you’re old? You probably won’t be showing off your hot bod by that time anyway so what does it matter what it looks like? And who says we’ll even make it to that point? Anyway, point being… if it makes you happy now, then for the rest of your life it should remind you of this time in your life and what made you happy. And Amanda Wachob is a genius :) oh! and there’s an awesome blog that I found if you’re looking for more inspiration: fyeahtattoos.com

31. shannon says:

I’m a 37 year old woman with 10 tattoos (so far), and have been getting them since I was 19. The only one I regret is the first one, which has absolutely no meaning for me; I just picked something from a book of flash art. Every other piece was designed and drawn by myself, and each one has a very personal meaning in the history of my life. Though a few have begun to fade, I wouldn’t take any of them back (except that first one!) I have never had to cover them for work, and as an artist and graphic designer, I find that clients are never put off by the fact that my arms and hands are covered in art. I can’t even tell you how many conversations have been started with strangers who’ve approached me to talk about and ask questions about my tattoos. I’m sure that anyone old enough to get a tattoo is aware of the permanence and possible consequences of getting ink. Though an 18 year old is sometimes less likely to care about these consequences than a 30 year old… Still, it’s a personal decision that should be entered into after quite a lot of consideration. I would highly recommend that whatever someone gets, it should hold some significance. You’re much less likely to get bored with it years down the road if it brings you memories of important aspects of your life.

And for what it’s worth, the “low class” comment was extremely offensive and insulting.

32. Blair says:

If you want to get a tattoo, get a tattoo.
    If you don’t want to get a tattoo, don’t get one.
    But personally, I want Amanda to ink me up ASAP. I am from Alabama, now live in California, and am flying to NY to get Amanda to ink me up. I think it is worth it. It’s art. It’s my body. Oh and let’s not forget about the fact that this chick is prolific!

33. Suzannah king says:

I am a body artist & I had a tattoo without black as out line. The work is amazing & more feminine. Keep in mind. You will need to repeat the ink, in 5 to 8 years. It does fade & pastels even less time. Using white lasts under 1yr. Light colors around 3yrs. If you keep the artwork bigger it will give you a longer lasting look. Or go slightly darker, knowing the finished look will be lasting over 5 yrs. I agree & am not a fan of black out lines… My experience from past, keep the art larger with light tones. No edging will not keep work tidy. Abstract work is perfect… This is why the artist has done so. Talk to your artist, before the leap…. You will need to repeat tattoo in under 10yrs

34. Janie K says:

Truly amazing works of art and so elegant. I would love to have all the rest of the tats that are now in my head done like this. I love them.

35. Beufl says:

Great work done by you . I like tattoos very much so i always try to find new tattoos .

36. Onlinepoo says:

Beautifully and nicely shown tattoo designs .I always like to discover new tattoos because i love them a lot.

37. Steph says:

On Amanda’s website it says she isn’t accepting any new appointments. How long could it take to get an appointment? Is there anyone else on the East Coast that has a similar aesthetic?

38. Bonnie says:

I also checked Amanda’s website and isn’t accepting any new appointments.
    I subscribed to her mailing list for updates but was wondering if anyone knows any other artist in New York city that do watercolor work.
    Has anyone recently seen Amanda and know if she will start seeing new clients?

39. Liz says:

I have to admit, her work is amazing. And for all the haters with negative comments, I have but one thing to say: When I’m 75, old and wrinkly, I’ll still look like someone wayyyy cooler than you who lived a little. Get the brooms out of a certain dark place. The art has existed back in Egyptian times.

Grace, if you want it, go get it. It is your body after all

40. korena wilson says:

I seen a beautiful male and female cardinal on a branch in watercolor. I would love this to honor my soul mate I lost. It is on pinterest. Live in Syracuse. would love one done and was wondering if these kind of tattoos cost alot more than regular ones?