Design Week in NYC may be over, but I’ve still got hundreds of photos left in my camera and ready to go for next week. I’ve also got Stationery Show coverage coming up next week, along with my favorite save-the-best-for-last posts about Brimfield. I’m hoping to keep the Surtex coverage going next week when I get a few more images in from artists, but I wanted to close out the week with the first dose of Surtex artists. I took a break from Surtex last year because people were less than thrilled to see someone with a camera (even after it was explained that it was for press purposes), but I took on the show again this year, and I’m so glad I did. There were several young new designers showing, and the rows had a few pops of vibrancy to them that were missing in previous years.
While the majority of the show (which is dedicated to surface designs) isn’t quite my personal style, I definitely came home with a bag full of cards and catalogs of designs I enjoyed. Today I’m rounding up 20 of my favorite, but stay tuned for more next week. Until then, I’m off for the weekend and will see you again on Monday. Have a great weekend! xo, grace
All images above are from the talented Melody Miller. Her colorful booth was a favorite of mine.
Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:
- Must-Read Posts: Top 20 Cameras & Gadgets for Photographers
- Giveaway: Yellow Owl Workshop DIY Video + Book Giveaway!
- Contest: A Stroll with Sibella: NYC Walking Tour Contest!
- ICFF 2011: Thoughts on This Year’s Show . . . , Things I Loved (Part 1), Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
- Brimfield 2011: Equestrian, Textiles, Recreation, Travel, Oddities & Off-the-Wall Finds
- National Stationery Show 2011: Part 1, Part 2 (Bright Colors)
- New City Guide: Atlantic City Guide
- Biz Ladies: Tips for the Shy Biz Lady
- Living In: Badlands
- Sneak Peeks: Rigetta Klint of Slow Fashion House, Meghan McEwen of Designtripper, Emma Reddington of the Marion House Book
- DIY Projects: Dried Flowers and Herbs, Vintage Food Mill Planter, Wood Bud Vase and Salt Dish
- Before & Afters: Three Dresser Transformations, Reupholstered Chair + Painted Plant Stand, Bedroom Makeover + Outdoor Dining
- Hunt, Gather and Host: Green Garden Party
- We Like It Wild: Dainty Blue Flower Arrangements
- Make It Yours: Emma Straub and Michael Fusco
- In the Kitchen With: Big Girls, Small Kitchen’s Meatball Subs
Images above: I love the watercolor style of the top image above. Both designs by Local Produce in Minneapolis.
CLICK HERE for more designs from Surtex 2011 after the jump!
Image above: The first face I saw at Surtex was that of friendly, smiling designer Kristian A. Howell. She invited me over to the booth, and I fell for her beautiful poppy print. It was so gorgeous blown up on the booth walls, but it’s also lovely in this smaller proportion.
Images above: I loved the loose colorful style of Jessica Swift’s designs.
Images above: The Frank Sturges rep booth had plenty of color and hand-drawn designs. These artist collections above were my favorites. I can’t wait to see where these patterns pop up in the next year or so. Bonus: How awesome is Frank’s website? That landing page image with the monster (you may have to load a few times to get it, as it changes) is amazing.