make it yours: kate schintzius

Kate Schintzius, associate designer for M.Design Interiors, resides in this West Hollywood apartment. She went for a “Palm Beach in the 70s” vibe, and it’s pretty incredible! The furnishings are vintage, thrift, eBay and Craigslist finds.

Kate’s kitchen remains 1930s original: crisp, clean and classic with its red stripe and white tiles. The retro fabric adds color and personality and matches her collection of Le Creuset cookware. In the dining room, Kate went with a bold navy color for the wall, and she brightens up the room with pink curtains and a playful rug. The rest of her apartment is equally fun — so many beautiful patterns and colors! Click here to see the original sneak peak. — Lauren

Palette 1 (Kitchen)
A. Arroyo Red (Benjamin Moore), PMS 181; B. Scarlet Sun (Valspar), PMS 172; C. Monarch Wing (Valspar), PMS 137; D. Tangy (Valspar), PMS 108; E. Sweet Sand (Valspar), PMS 705

Roundup 1 (Kitchen)
1. Signe Rug, $4; 2. Le Creuset Cocotte, $170; 3. Thick Linen Towel, $16; 4. Le Creuset Tea Kettle, $75; 5. Tourne Serving Bowl, $55; 6. Orla Kiely Apron, $65; 7. No Plastic Bottles, $30

Palette 2 (Dining Room)
A. Delicate Petal (Pratt & Lambert), PMS 2563; B. *Actual Wall Color: H03950 (Fine Paints of Europe), PMS 661;  C. Damson Orange (Pratt & Lambert), PMS 162; D. Fresh Scent Green (Benjamin Moore), PMS 361; E. Lemon Tart (Behr), PMS 107

Roundup 2 (Dining Room)
1. Ana Ticking Rug, $30+; 2. White Taper Candles, $7; 3. Antiqued Giraffe Taper, $38; 4. Pink Anthurium Bushes, $47; 5. White Daisy Shot Glasses, $20

1. OOOOOH, these are my FAVORITE COLOR SCHEMES YET!! I can’t decide which I like more! Very fresh and fun, thank you!!

2. Stacey says:

The first one is so gorgeous, waking up to those colors each day would have to put you in a wonderful mood!!

3. Leslie says:

LOVE the first color scheme for the kitchen (especially that apron) … and I love the anthro giraffe candleholder… may have to purchase soon!

4. natalja says:

can anyone tell me about that lamp in the last picture?
    it looks gorgeous!!! does anyone know where it is from??? I. WANT. THAT. LAMP.

5. Mareah says:

Gorgeous rooms! LOVE!

6. Katie says:

the dining room is wonderful!!!! I love the handles on the cabinet and the painting .. the entire room!

7. Trixie says:

Anyone know the source for that amazing orange, red and yellow blind in the top picture? Must. Have.

8. Molly Cooper says:

Wow!! I have never seen anything like that dining room- the colors, the upholstery paired with the carpet, the art and furniture… ah! I’m loving the aspects of the kitchen, too. What a wonderful post!

9. Beautiful color palettes! I think the second one is my favorite – very feminine and punchy!

10. the dining room is AMAZING!

11. Holly says:

Kate–will you adopt me? Or have me over for tea? Your apartment is in-credible! Absolutely gorgeous.

12. BeLighter says:

So colourful! what a happy kitchen!

13. Andrea says:

Really loved that you kept the vintage cabinets!

14. Belly B says:

I need to find that yellow tea kettle asap. Love it!!!

15. Love these things. I have an orange pot like #2 ;)

16. cecilia says:

Lauren,
    I am a fan of Molly’s (M.Design Interiors) blog where she has mentioned Kate. But I’ve never seen her apartment before (I went back to the original Sneak Peek) and loved that post! Kate has put together beautiful rooms that are so unique because of all of her bold use of color, her vintage pieces and her signature needlepoint pillows. Love the flamestitch!

17. I am in love with that little pink kitchen! I would so be all over that.

18. April says:

Love it! I am completely head over heels for that fabric on the blinds. Any chance we could find out the designer/maker of that? I NEED IT for my son’s room. He loved it and now I’m on a wild goose chase…please end my misery and let us know. Thanks!

19. erin michele says:

so fresh + beautiful + fun. i want to move in asap! might be easier than revamping my earth toned home…

20. patio design says:

The dining room is wonderful I have never seen anything like that dining room. Thanks very much for sharing information with us.

21. Eva says:

You may not be monitoring any longer, but how did you get the finish in the dining room? Is it just high gloss? Is it a high gloss polyurathane? The paint chips I’ve seen of the shade don’t have that sheen. Thanks.