diy project: cherry blossom plate

I was looking for nice little decorated plates for years. When I discovered ceramic markers, I was no longer afraid to try and make them myself. The markers are very easy to use and spill-proof. No baking — the paint just has to dry for 48 hours, and then you’re done! You can even put them in the dishwasher. I’ve always loved the image of cherry blossoms; they are organic and stylized at the same time. It’s a strong and recognizable image. In my house, you can find all kinds of things with cherry blossom prints. So when I was making sketches for the plate, I came up with this idea quickly. — Johanneke

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

• white porcelain plate
  • ceramic markers in black and carmine (I used the brand Darwi Armerina)
  • degreaser (I used ammonia)
  • piece of cloth to degrease
  • paper and pen to make a sketch first and try out marker

1. Take your plate and degrease well. I used undiluted ammonia. Then rinse with water and dry with a clean towel.

2. Read the instructions on the marker. Shake and press down the point several times before use. Try a line on paper first; it’s quite runny in the beginning. Start drawing the main branch in black. You have to draw quickly to get nice smooth lines. Work even faster to get a nice pointy end and some movement in the drawing.

3. Now you can draw the other, smaller branches. Less is more with this image, I think.

4. Now you can start drawing the blossom. Take your carmine marker, shake well and press the point a few times. Try first on a piece of paper to see if it is too runny; it will stop if you stop pressing the point. Now draw small dots with the point of the marker. You can move the point in tiny circles to make the dots more even and round. I put them in groups of three (to keep the stylized look) at the end of every branch and some in the middle.

5. Let it dry for 48 hours, and your cherry blossom plate is ready to use!

1. Holly says:

Love this idea!! You could do so many different things!! =)

2. So clever. I shall try this soon.

3. These look great! I made some dot-painted china as Christmas presents using these markers, but I love the idea of these cherry blossoms. Thanks for the inspiration!

4. Brilliant, clever but simple idea!

5. Hope says:

So cute and simple!!

6. Simon says:

This cherry blossom plate looks just like a the Jolie Papier Cherry Blossom wallcovering I bought from DecoratorsBest. It’s fabulous!

7. Lauren says:

Love this! Your plate looks great :)

I will have to try this out, I had no idea how easy it was. Thanks!

8. kankana says:

This is so pretty and such an interesting way to design your plates. Glad I found your blog :)

9. marci says:

Such a great idea!

10. barb says:

Where can you buy this brand of marker?

11. Darcy says:

Oooooooh now I know what everyone is getting as gifts!

12. PercentBlog says:

So cute! Not sure if it’s 100% food safe but I’d be likely to use it for plating small bites of food that don’t require fork/knife and just hand wash.

13. Megan Gery says:

I love this idea! I’ll have to try it. It would make a great gift.

14. This piece is simple, yet beautiful. No clutter.

15. Susana says:

Great idea! Just a few questions. What other types of ceramic markers would you recommend and where can I buy them?

16. Clio says:

Great idea, love to try it out!

17. Karen says:

Very cute! I agree about the plate making a great (inexpensive) gift.

18. Oh my! I’m going to have my creative group do this – so fun!

19. Cary says:

You’ve opened up a world of possibilities, I had no idea there were such things as ceramic markers!

20. Shari says:

Do you know where I can purchase the markers that you used?
    Love your design!!

21. The markers(name: armerina) are from a brand called Darwi.
    I believe they are a belgian company. You can contact them here:
    But maybe there are other brands that sell cold ceramic markers!

22. Shari says:

Thank you!
    I’ll see if they sell anywhere in the states.

23. Amanda says:

Dumb question – could this be done on white Corel? We are hard on plates, but this idea would be a wonderful way to pretty up the boring and mass produced!

24. Tara says:

Pebo also makes porcelain pens and paints, and I’ve had great success using them on plates, cups, mugs, platters, etc. Makes for some lovely (and cheap!) housewarming and engagement presents. You can find them at dick blick: Just a note: the paints are really loose and take some time to get used to, but can be really pretty. Aya Rosen’s work is always an inspiration:

25. Absolutely LOVE your Cherry Blossom design. We’ve been running mini-workshops in this at Homemade London for a little while and they’re always really popular – we favour Marimekko-inspired designs as they’re easy to achieve and produce good results We use Marabu porcelain pens which work well and are easily available in Europe.

26. I love marimekko! i will try them too!

27. lissa snapp says:

Love how simple this is, it looks great!

28. Asri says:

Where can one find a bottle of ammonia? This idea is so sweet!

29. Pris says:

Since you can put it in dishwater to wash, can you eat off of it too? I”m looking to create a nice set of things for my friend’s wedding, and I want them to be practical too. It’s a elegant and simple project, but I would feel bad if she couldn’t get any use out of it.

30. LF says:

This looks like a fun project. I’m curious about being able to eat off them too. Would the chemicals involved in the project pose a hazard?

31. sarika salvi vasudev says:

are these ceramic markers food safe?

32. Kim says:

WOW! That’s a straight up knock off design from my Cherry Blossom dishware!
    Thanks for posting the design though…

1. Grace Bonney says:

Cherry blossom designs and patterns like this have been around for ages, I’m afraid this is not a direct copy of your work.

33. Sarah says:

Gorgeous! Decorating with porcelain markers is so therapeutic, you inspired me to try out a few of my own designs. This one is my favourite so far, the designs are endless!