brimfield 2011: recreation

Maybe it’s the promise of warmer weather, but for some reason, Amy, Grace and I found ourselves drawn to vintage sportswear and various recreation accessories that reminded us of Boy Scouts, summer camp and preppy-clubhouse style. On the first day, it seemed like every young male we saw was walking away with an old-school bicycle in tow, and I honestly can’t blame them — there were some incredibly charming styles to be had, like this one shown above.

As we continued to document the boy’s club aesthetic, we noticed a slight divergence in our personal tastes — I went for more vintage camping and collegiate gear, while Amy became obsessed with the cool model airplanes and ships we saw popping up here and there. However, we all agreed that the stripped-down, masculine style we see lately in modern interiors and furniture has the potential to evolve into something very exciting, and for now, we’re enjoying taking a slight break from feminine objects and focusing a bit more on the boyish side of things. — Kate

CLICK HERE to see the rest of our boyish Brimfield finds after the jump!

1. I like the suitcase! So cute ;)

2. The fact that this remind me of summer camp makes them all the more special. Those oars would make fabulous wall art and so would the skis (something she did for her new husband, whose a ski advocate, when he moved in)

3. Susan says:

Ahh, that Franconia Notch banner needs a home with me! I spent summers near there…

4. Jenny says:

Holy wow! I need that Franconia Banner. My family has a ski chalet in Mittersill (It’s like stepping back in time). I go and ski at Cannon every weekend in the winter :) I’m headed to Brimfield in July. Wonder what the odds are that it’ll still be there…

5. allie says:

Those canoe paddles are beautiful!

6. jeff says:

Wow! Great finds! Definitely a fan of the planes, suitcase and canoe paddles. Thanks for the nod to the young male side of things.

7. Emily says:

I love these Brimfield posts, but I have to say that it made me sad to see recreation and sports labeled as “masculine”. I think it reinforces a negative collective memory and further ingrained sexism. The aesthetic could have been called “summer” or “camp” but I don’t think there is anything inherently masculine about any of the pieces in the photos. Sorry if this feels like an over reaction, but it really ruffles my feathers when smart, creative women casually embrace negative gender stereotypes. Other than that, keep the great photos coming!

8. I love the clean, look – focusing on line and silhouette – that’s been going on too. I’ve been using it myself, and pairing it with really rich fabrics (linens, velvets, and silk) in solid colors. It’s almost an unexpected juxtaposition, clean lined furniture that when you sit down instead of being unyielding, wraps you up in comfort. Quality over quantity as well.

9. Courtney says:

Ah! I actually from Sudbury, Ontario and would love to have that Sudbury pennant in my life as a memory of home.

Great finds!

10. I’ve been drooling over all your Brimfield finds, but these might be some of my favorites yet! LOVE the canoe paddles!!

11. Jennifer says:

Wow! My husband’s initials are BS and he plays the drums. I so would have bought that!

12. Eva Lindeman says:

ha, i was just looking for some touristic banners just like that! These are very nice. Also love the paddles, like everyone else :)

13. Jonathan says:

Its about time that you guys have a post about something masculine on here. I think you need more manly design post; just because I am a hyper masculine guy doesn’t mean I don’t have a discerning eye for style and design. With that said I love this post.
    What I love most of all are the cool vintage sweaters. My girlfriend would kill for the Michigan one. It is trully awesome!

14. April says:

haha, my Grandpa has almost that exact same bike… I love it so much!

15. Casey says:

This reminds me of the original (Hayley Mills) The Parent Trap! I always wished I could go to an all-summer camp like the one on the movie. I love the oars in the second pic.

16. jennifer says:

I would LOVE to see some of the prices. So curious!

17. caroline says:

I would have bought all of those model ships on the spot. I’m sad I didn’t go to Brimfield this year, but last year I spent too much money on crap that I wasn’t quite as crazy about once I got home.

18. Wow! I love ALL the pieces featured! I’m so jealous, wish we had such neat stuff here in australia.

19. OMGosh, I’m from Sudbury too, well just moved down the highway to North Bay, but my eldest boys and mom are there…and I’m back all the time! Where was this sale, that flag would so be mine if I had seen it! And hi Courtney…lol. Where was this sale??

20. katie says:

I agree with Kate-I saw tons of vintage sporting stuff & the bicycles were everywhere. I noticed alot of weird taxidermy on Tues. & Weds–a rattlesnake poised to strike in a glass case, two squirrels with a black bird at another field & tons of antelope and deer everything..creepy stuff! I did score a mound of vintage scarves but never found the stash of old books or textiles from the 70’s I put on my wish list. Kate do you all ever go in July?