Image above: My favorite lighting at the show. These lights were made from industrial whisk attachments that go on mixers. So awesome.
Today kicks off Design Week in NYC and after Brimfield my feet are already panicking at the idea of more walking. But I’m strapping on my comfy shoes and heading out to NoHo with Kate and Amy this afternoon to start covering some of the off-site shows that surround ICFF and everything else happening at the Javits center. Over the next week I’ll be covering all of the new furniture, products, stationery and pattern design being debuted in the city, so stay tuned for a wealth of new, innovative and inspiring design. This time of year is always the most exhausting and exciting- I can’t wait to see what the design world has been up to for the past year and what new pieces and trends will become my favorites.
Before I head out though I wanted to share another of my favorite Brimfield trends: great lighting. Industrial lighting was still pretty much the front runner at the show, but there were so many creative lighting ideas (like the lights made from whisk attachments above!) that I thought they deserved their own post. From hanging pendants to dramatic table lamps, this year’s show had it all. I’ve chosen my favorites along with Kate and Amy’s below, but feel free to share images of your favorites from the show in the comment section below. Stay tuned for new design (and more Brimfield trends) next week. Until then, have a great weekend and I’ll see you on Monday! xo, grace
Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:
- Must Read Posts: Brimfield 2011: What we bought, Leather and Lighting
- New City Guide: St. Louis City Guide
- Biz Ladies: Finding Your Niche
- Living In: Dangerous Liaisons
- Sneak Peeks: Allen Hemberger, Cortney Bishop, Ashley Helvey & Miles Pederson
- Sights & Sounds: Lupe Núñez-Fernández
- DIY Projects: Vintage Trophy Coat Rack
- Sewing 101: Sew a Terrarium
- Past & Present: Things for the Table
- Before & Afters: Muni Pass Wall Art + Door Desk, Home Addition Makeover, Redo + Chair Makeover
- What’s in Your Toolbox: Adam Silverman
- Small Measures: Onion Relish and Quick Pickles
- Flowers A to Z: Magical Coral Pink Hydrangeas
- Make It Yours: Gemma Ahern
- In the Kitchen With: Parigote’s Roasted Asparagus Recipe
- Behind the Bar: Molly Wizenberg’s Americano Cocktail Recipe
- Artwork: Cul-de-sac Prints, Woop Studios Animal Prints, Reginapolis Map
- Misc.: Creme Cycles, Debut: New Shanna Murray Decals!, New: Table Lamps from Schoolhouse Electric
CLICK HERE for 16 more creative/beautiful lighting photos from Brimfield after the jump!
Images above: It was dark and overcast the day I took these shots so I’m bummed that the bottom didn’t come through well. But these oversized red chandelier/pendants were STUNNING. They reminded me of a really chic French circus or old-school carnival. If I had a huge outdoor space I would have taken these babies home with me.
Images above: There were a TON of industrial-style lights for sale at Brimfield. This was a huge trend last year and it was definitely still around this year.
Image above: I loved the sieve/colander style detailing on this hanging light.
Image above: I almost bought this extending arm lamp. I still wish I had. But man was it expensive. I couldn’t justify the price even though this beauty is still haunting me from this picture.
Images above: Creative DIY lighting ideas were everywhere at Brimfield. This row of baskets turned into a chandelier and the bucket lights above were great sparks of inspiration for us…
Image above: this dramatically oversized chandelier (fit with candleholders) was just gorgeous. A tad on the comically large side, but still amazing.
Image above: If I ever get my dream home in Savannah one day I’m filling it with antique candleholder/pendants like this. So dramatic and moody…
Image above: Another detail from those amazing whisk/mixer lamps. These were my favorite thing at the show I think. So clever and so perfect for props and shoots.