brimfield 2011: lighting + weekly wrap up

Image above: My favorite lighting at the show. These lights were made from industrial whisk attachments that go on mixers. So awesome.

Today kicks off Design Week in NYC and after Brimfield my feet are already panicking at the idea of more walking. But I’m strapping on my comfy shoes and heading out to NoHo with Kate and Amy this afternoon to start covering some of the off-site shows that surround ICFF and everything else happening at the Javits center. Over the next week I’ll be covering all of the new furniture, products, stationery and pattern design being debuted in the city, so stay tuned for a wealth of new, innovative and inspiring design. This time of year is always the most exhausting and exciting- I can’t wait to see what the design world has been up to for the past year and what new pieces and trends will become my favorites.

Before I head out though I wanted to share another of my favorite Brimfield trends: great lighting. Industrial lighting was still pretty much the front runner at the show, but there were so many creative lighting ideas (like the lights made from whisk attachments above!) that I thought they deserved their own post. From hanging pendants to dramatic table lamps, this year’s show had it all. I’ve chosen my favorites along with Kate and Amy’s below, but feel free to share images of your favorites from the show in the comment section below. Stay tuned for new design (and more Brimfield trends) next week. Until then, have a great weekend and I’ll see you on Monday! xo, grace

Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:

CLICK HERE for 16 more creative/beautiful lighting photos from Brimfield after the jump!

Images above: It was dark and overcast the day I took these shots so I’m bummed that the bottom didn’t come through well. But these oversized red chandelier/pendants were STUNNING. They reminded me of a really chic French circus or old-school carnival. If I had a huge outdoor space I would have taken these babies home with me.

Images above: There were a TON of industrial-style lights for sale at Brimfield. This was a huge trend last year and it was definitely still around this year.

Image above: I loved the sieve/colander style detailing on this hanging light.

Image above: I almost bought this extending arm lamp. I still wish I had. But man was it expensive. I couldn’t justify the price even though this beauty is still haunting me from this picture.

Images above: Creative DIY lighting ideas were everywhere at Brimfield. This row of baskets turned into a chandelier and the bucket lights above were great sparks of inspiration for us…

Image above: this dramatically oversized chandelier (fit with candleholders) was just gorgeous. A tad on the comically large side, but still amazing.

Image above: If I ever get my dream home in Savannah one day I’m filling it with antique candleholder/pendants like this. So dramatic and moody…

Image above: Another detail from those amazing whisk/mixer lamps. These were my favorite thing at the show I think. So clever and so perfect for props and shoots.

1. Katie says:

Those whisk-style lamps are great! I’d love one in a kitchen or a sun/garden type space.

2. nicole says:

I really enjoyed going through these images. Especially loved the commercial whisks!

3. Lizzy says:

Visit The Grey Dog’s Coffee in Chelsea (there are three). The owner made mixer lights like these for above their ordering counter !

4. Rebecca says:

I am so in love with the victrola horns turned pendant lights! I’ve been eyeing a victrola horn at my local antique market to do just this!

5. Nowvintage says:

I love all of these lighting ideas! A creative stimulation feast!!!

6. Alysson says:

beautiful lamps!

7. kimberly says:

wow. i love that extending arm lamp. so so pretty!

8. Meghan says:

OMG I love those blue lights. They would be perfect in my kitchen. Where do I find them??

9. Oh My the variety and creativness of these lights. We are so isolated here, everytime I look for lighting I go home with nothing, my hsuband ususlly helps me make somethng to fit my needs.

10. Adore all these! there’s something for everyone here. Thanks for sharing!

11. What a treat. I would just love to have several of those red lights hanging over my kitchen counter. Love a punch of red!

Cynthia

12. cecilia says:

Which field did you guys find those cool industrial cone pendants? I was only able to hit Sheltons, Quaker Acres and the Meadows, before my children had serious meltdowns – they were grossed out by their porta-potty experience and basically refused to go all day! I had to give up. You guys found some really cool stuff! Thanks for sharing!

13. obsessed with this post! love them all!

14. thanks for the inspiration,
    it’ s the paradise there!
    bonne soirée
    sophie
    • :*¨¨*: •

15. love the faux bamboo chandelier ;) In turquoise?! LOVE!

16. rebecca says:

Maybe a year or year and a half ago there was a whisk light tutorial going around about making one of those lights. I loved the idea and acquired a couple on eBay. The whisk was trumped by a free, huge, awesome chandelier for the spot I had.

In any case, if you want to build your own it’s very easy, and if you want to find one on eBay I suggest the search terms Hobart and Whip (the big ones are not whisks, they are whips). You can also try Hobart and whisk, but you get the idea. They are out there. I got both of mine for around $30 each.

17. rebecca says:

p.s. here’s the post that led me down the rabbit hole (it has a link to the tutorial)

18. I was at Brimfield all week buying for my shops and it was definitely the industrial lighting that I fell the hardest for! I came home with lights from Cleveland Art, some of the whisk lamps, the turkey feeder lamps and two awesome hanging lights made from fluted columns with the most fabulous patina ever! It was a great week! Now to find the time to post about it!

19. Lisa says:

I thought about this last year when you went. I would have appreciated price tags to go along with your finds. Plus nothing beats a good deal to share amongst friends! I realize that you are on a shopping frenzy but …jotting down a few prices between the 3 of you well come on girls! Oh and thank you for more pictures this time around!

1. grace says:

lisa

please see my previous comment. the majority of things purchased by amy and kate were gifts. i think we’re all in agreement that listing gift prices for recipients (who read this site) isn’t in the best taste.

i was happy to share my prices, which i did in the comment above. kate’s inflatable stools were $25 each.

grace

20. Yelena says:

Hi, Grace! Great post! It’s always interesting to see what everyone else’s take-away is from the show. We saw a lot of maritime lighting as well. Here is a link to some of our finds:
    Thanks!

21. The area of blue ones near the bottom of the page look like vintage recorder speakers?

22. SO many cool things to look at. My grandmother used to take a trip out to Brimfield every year when I was a kid and I loved hearing all about it. I’ve still never been, but one of these days…

23. lesli DeVito says:

I am DYING for that bamboo chandelier, I LOVE it, I WANT it and event he turquoise is perfect for my space…where can I find another one?????

24. Miska says:

Kate, Amy and Grace,

Great work curating these photographs. You’ve captured Brimfield well and stirred some lighting ideas. Thanks for sharing!

25. Thanks for loving my lighting. I created the Wisk lights and the 3 tier black wire pendants in the photo that are hanging in a grouping of 3.
    Splurgedesign.com

26. Kim says:

I love the wisk lights and 1000bulbs.com sells them under 5.00 each

27. Matthew Ingarm says:

Wow, awesome lights and design ideas. Do you think they have fixtures that are compatible with LED bulbs. I am surprised LED’s have not become the norm in all manner of lighting.I have purchased LED’s for a couple year now for the holidays on Christmas Lights, Etc – I am curious to see when the global consumer begins a widespread adoption of this technology for bulbs that will be used year round.

28. Dan says:

So awesome idea, and so elegant design… I LIKE THEM.