the beekeeper’s bible

I’m beginning to think that idiomatic expressions about judging books by their covers must apply to everything but books. (Coralie Bickford-Smith anyone?) The Beekeeper’s Bible is one of the prettiest beekeeping books I’ve come across (and I should know, I have over five of them!), and at 400 pages, it packs a pretty heavy content punch. There’s loads of information for the novice beekeeper on how to set up a hive and what to check for — all the practical details you’ll need to get started. But as a (relatively) seasoned beekeeper, I was most excited about the added content — there’s an extensive history of beekeeping section, a food and drink section, a domestic uses for bee products section AND a craft section. I’ve always wanted to host a honey-themed party around the honey harvest, so I was totally inspired by the recipe section. Um, Honey Mint Julep? Sold!  — Amy A.

1. Monika says:

the cover is truly beautiful! and these photos below! o my! this honey jar is lovely, and I would like to taste this julep!!!
    spring hugs to you!

2. We had bees on the farm growing up…such a wonderful experience (although I didnt appreciated it so much at the time) My bedroom now is brown and gold – very bee like….the colors in these photos are so inspiring.

3. Amy says:

Gorgeous. Going right to my wishlist for our future home.

4. Lindsay says:

WOWOWOW! fabulous pictures! My fav is the bee pollinating the flower

5. Hi Amy!

I bought this book as soon as I read your post. I’m an aspiring beekeeper myself. I wanted to ask you where do you keep your Urban bees? Did you have to get permission? I live in Berkeley, CA in an apartment but I have a sizable back porch. I’m sure I’ll learn a lot from this book but I was wondering if you had any tips or good books specifically for keeping bees in the city?

Cheers!

6. Wow! The cover and illustrations are absolutely beautiful! The colors and detail are amazing. Thanks for sharing!

7. amya says:

Hi Heather – My bees are on top of a roof in Brooklyn. A roof is actually a great place for bees. :) But if you have a decent sized back porch, you should be fine. Actually, my advice would be to take a class (in addition to reading as much as you can)- it’s a great way to meet like-minded folks in your area. Also, when you have a problem/question, you ‘ll have people to email. Good luck! It’s pretty amazing!

8. Em says:

Over five… so, …six? ;p

Wonderful post though, I love bees, and the book looks beautiful.

9. isavirtue says:

i wish i liked honey – it’s always looks so pretty and delicious!

10. pc says:

stunning! love the front cover. i probably won’t ever beekeep in my life but i must have the book!

11. Jenny Hoople says:

This is awesome! I’ve been thinking about bees a lot lately and here they are again :) Synchronicity!

12. Fantastic find, thank you! We just got our first bee hive about six months ago and I’ve been hunting for a book to get on the subject. The book looks incredible.

13. LindseyBee says:

I need this just because of my blog & shop! neither related to bees other than their names, but nonetheless, they look really interesting! & the cover design is beautiful.

14. Danielle says:

What a beautiful book! That’s it. I’ve decided. Beekeeping is in my future. :))

15. Rochelle says:

A great way to start beekeeping that is inexpensive and healthier for the bees than the conventional Langstroth hive is a Top Bar Hive. There are lots of resources on the web. I just got one with a viewing window in the side and it’s lovely.

16. Abbey says:

that drink looks AMAZING! (hi Amy!)

17. I have looked at many sites and not come across one like this – well done, great info! I've bookmarked your site. Can anyone suggest any other resources that I can look at? Keep up the good work!