sneak peek: lauren shields

When prop stylist Lauren Shields started decorating her apartment in Park Slope Brooklyn, the endeavor initially operated as one large testing ground for craft projects. Her job has her constantly pounding the pavement looking for interesting objects and learning new tricks and techniques for achieving things on set. Her goal for her home was to create a space that felt welcoming to friends and to surround herself with things she really loved and found inspiring. After living here for four years, Lauren’s itching to try a whole new look with the space. I can’t wait to see what she comes up with next! Thanks, Lauren! And thanks to Poul Ober for the photographs! — Amy A.

Image above: The old double school desk was rescued from a dumpster behind my house and works perfectly as a sofa table and surface for my record player and records. Underneath are two storage cubes on wheels, which were an old Ikea purchase that I reupholstered in John Robshaw fabric that I found at a sample sale. The tin ceilings are 10-feet high, so I custom-made some curtains that would be tall enough. The wall color is Benjamin Moore Palladium Blue.

Image above: I sampled about eight paint colors in search of an exact brown paper-bag color. But sadly, I can’t remember now what that paint color is! The bed is Crate and Barrel with John Robshaw bedding. I repainted the nightstand and Ikea wall-mount lamps. The silhouette is of my father when he was nine years old, and the double curtains are handmade by me. The rug is Ikea and the chair is Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams, which I found on Craigslist.

CLICK HERE for more of Lauren’s Brooklyn home!

Image above: I found these tealight holders about 12 years ago in Amsterdam and have never seen anything like them again.

Image above: I painted a giant chalkboard on the wall and then framed it in painted wood molding and a tray to mimic an old-school chalkboard. The rug is from the ABC Carpet & Home basement remnant warehouse. I can’t remember the wall color!

Image above: I have thousands of pieces of fabric, and instead of having them in a box, I took my favorite ones and stretched them over embroidery hoops in my craft room. Seeing all the colors, embroidery and pattern really makes me happy, and most of them were too small to make anything out of anyway.

Image above: I’ve collected Colors magazine since I was a teenager, and this is part of my collection. The message, “You Only Get Better With Age,” I printed out on my home printer as a friendly reminder during a recent birthday. The art with the two animals was left from a good friend and former roommate, but sadly, we can’t remember the artist’s name!

Image above: The green and white rug is from the ABC Carpet remnant basement (my favorite place in New York City!), and the black and white Moroccan pouf was carried back by my paternal grandmother from Morocco on her solo travels around the world when she was 65 years old. It was given to my father, who handed it down to me a few years ago. It’s one of my favorite things I own. The white bench/coffee table was found on the street. The sofa is the Crate and Barrel Petrie sofa. Pillows are John Robshaw and handmade. The “art” above the sofa is just a holding place for a project I haven’t gotten around to yet; it is just a cheap piece of fabric stretched around foam core. The nesting glass side tables are Ikea.

1. Samantha says:

Two words: Dream home.

2. rachael says:

Gosh that’s pretty!

3. mixette says:

Love the chalkboard and how you made it!

4. Laurel says:

I second that. Lovely!

5. Brittany says:

Fantastic! Absolutely love the colors and the unique pieces of furniture.

6. The cubes look slipcovered, but I love the idea. The Benjamin Moore paint in the living room is wonderful, the color and the feel it gives was the first thing I noticed. Thanks for sharing!

7. What absolutely gorgeous rooms to inspire us all.

8. I love the blues and greens. I wish there was such fabulous old furniture laying around my neighborhood. Maybe I just have to look harder :)

9. Elena says:

I love the colors you chose! The fabric stretched over the embroidery hoops were particularly inspiring–thanks for sharing. :)

10. Lara says:

The peach bedroom! My goodness!

11. Roz says:

This is seriously my dream house. I’m moving soon and how I pictured my bedroom is so similar to her bedroom in this post. Thank you so much for posting this- I now have a clearer vision of what I want to try!

12. karen says:

it’s so chic!! i so love it :)

13. db says:

Love the Colors magazine collection. I used to collect them as a teen too! so wish I had kept them… made me smile :) beautiful home.

14. imo says:

anyone else dying to see what the kitchen looks like?!

15. Belly B says:

That house appears in my dreams. It’s so pretty yet looks super warm and cozy. That’s the dream!

16. Love the yellow and turquoise fabric on the storage cubes! Nice post!

17. Lindsey says:

18. em says:

this is such a wonderful home! such beautiful colours!

19. Kimberly says:

Loving that paper bag color and the light green. Great idea with the large chalkboard in the hallway. So pretty!

Hooray for Park Slope apartments.

20. Luv, luv all the elements. I need to try those embroidery hoops for beautiful fabric. I saw it once in a magazine and always wanted to do it.

21. Adore these sneak peaks… cant get enough!

22. Darn decorating amnesia! :( I would have loved to know the paint color in the hallway… if anyone has any ideas on a similar wall color, that would be awesome!

23. What a great home, and those tea light holders, awesome! Would love to find something like them, they are so 50’s looking.

24. I love her decorating sense because it is soothing and totally approachable.

25. Jenna says:

Lauren your place looks amazing!!! You’ve come so far from our old nook on Rivington! Want to come decorate my bland white walled place in CA? :)

26. I love love love that color scheme. And wow that embroidery hoop idea is golden! What a cost effective way to decorate.

27. Stephanie says:

Loving color on the walls! Nice house.

28. Amanda says:

I love it! So gorgeous!

29. Elizabeth Lee says:

So wonderfully pretty and simple all at the same time! I’m borrowing ideas from her once I own my first place :)

30. Megan says:

31. desha says:

glamour. chic. cozy- all in one. the colors are all my faves. when can i come visit :)

32. Nora says:

Love every detail…but the nightstand in the bedroom is the best thing ever!

33. what a gorgeous fresh use of colour throughout. It looks so light, pure and clean.
    I especially like the thread bobbin holder… can i be cheeky and ask if you know where i could get a similar one…

I love this house.
    Thank you for sharing it with us.

34. Eileen says:

I have one of those tea light holders as well! Bought it in the mid-90s while living in Munich.

35. Emily says:

I’m in love with this pretty color palette!

36. Pippa says:

Tea light candles…love !

37. Vanessa says:

the soft contrasting colours in this space are wonderful!

38. Lots of eye candy indeed – very pretty :)

39. Love the layout of the lounge, such beautiful colours!

40. The living space is darling, although I think an area rug would really ground everything. Beautiful!

41. claudine says:

The color palette is so gorgeous, so lovely and the dumweighter door makes me nostalgic for my former brooklyn home. But I especially love the curtains. May I ask where the hardwear is from? I just love how light and thin it looks and doesn’t overpower the curtains or molding.

42. Asia says:

I LOVE the little fabric scraps displayed in embroidery hoops. What a neat idea!

43. sally says:

What is the scoop on the ABC carpet remnant basement? Is it the outlet in the Bronx that you are referring to?

44. S* says:

I love the carpets. Do you know where do they come from ?

45. Wow…I don’t know how i missed this post but I’m certainly happy to have stumbled upon it today. Love that seaglass color in the hallway- diggin’ that well crafted chalboard too!
    Feelin’ like a kid in a candy store here! Thanks for allowing us to take a pEEk….