sneak peek: kirra jamison + dane lovett

by

Melbourne creative couple Kirra Jamison and Dane Lovett live in a 650 square foot partially converted industrial warehouse. When they moved into the space, they painted all the walls (the few that there were in the wide open space) and studio floors white. It was a challenge at first to make the space feel cozy and homey (it does get cold in winter too!), but they have found a way to make their home colorful and playful. With various pieces collected over the years, including some that will stay with them forever and others that will be passed on yet again, it’s really easy to rearrange the space. Now they couldn’t imagine living in a “real” house and love the convenience of being above their studio spaces in a community full of painters, photographers, interior designers, a florist and a furniture designer. For those of you in Melbourne, don’t miss Kirra’s upcoming show at the Sophie Gannon Gallery April 19 through May 14th, and for those in Paris, Dane has a show at Colette in May. Thanks so much to Kirra, Dane and their lovely neighbor, photographer Daniel Mahon, for the photographs! — Anne

Image above: The bed is custom, made locally using recycled timbers and sustainable materials. The Rorschach painting above the bed is by Ben Quilty (we did a swap). The vintage table and owl lamp are from The Junk Company.

Image above: The pink chairs are original Casala. The painting above the bookshelf is by Jake Walker, and the Biro and pencil drawing is by Laith McGregor (another swap). The collection of vintage eskys is a must in Australia.

CLICK HERE for more of Kirra and Dane’s Melbourne home!

Image above: Chalkboard wall in the kitchen. As the space was open, we built the wall ourselves and custom-made the chalk paint color. The drawings are remnants from a party we had in summer. The green metal table is from Industria and is an original hospital bedside table made around the time of the Vietnam War.

Image above: The kitchen is all Ikea (sadly!).

Image above: All curtains and sheets are by Anthropologie, and the duvet cover is by Urban Outfitters. The stump table next to the bed is by Greg Hatton.

Image above: Vintage paper drawers we painted blue. Inside is colored vinyl that I use on my paintings.

Image above: Necklace by New Zealand designer Karen Walker.

Image above: The bathroom door is the original bright red fire door . . . very heavy!

Image above: All flowers (and oak branches) by my friend, neighbor, source of inspiration and all-around wonderful lady Katie (Petal) Marx.

Image above: Our French bulldog Tallulah (Lulu).

1. Rosa Navas says:

What a wonderful place!! I love it!!

2. I just love their bright, creative little space! Refreshing~

Thanks!
    Heidi

3. Adrienne says:

how lovely!

although i must say the walls give me dorm room flashback (our dorms were all white-painted cinderblock). i am not sure i will ever be able to free myself of that association.

4. Chela says:

oh sweet melbs, ditto on the castle & things bedlinen.

5. Amy says:

What a fresh looking home, Tallulah has quite a face. Is that a miniature wooden stool by your Anthropologie curtains & plants?

6. What a wonderful studio space!

7. claire says:

That studio space is amazing! Wishing I had something just like it….

8. Linda Adams says:

EXACTLY how and with what did you paint your blue flat files????
    Love your whole look – very inspiring.

9. Oh, I love this peak. So lived in and lovely. I’d LOVE to have such a spacious studio.

10. karen says:

What light, color and space! I love the photos of the studio, and the peeks at works in progress.

11. Ingifridh says:

It seems magic!my dreamcastle!

12. I am inspired. The black piece in the studio is stunning and bathroom to die for.

13. Lovin’ that chalk wall and light blue cabinet ;-)

Y’all are too cute!

14. I love your artwork – its so original. I live in Torquay so I will def come to see your exhibition… the tree in the bedroom is also really cool :)

15. Pippa says:

I loved seeing some home grown Australian Artists and their work, on an international Design Blog, YEAH!

16. Emma says:

Such an incredible space – love all your plants!

17. jonahliza says:

this home is a m a z i n g . i would be so happy in a space so open like this <3 ohh, the sunlight!

18. Carlita says:

Cassie – I totally agree! Ikea is awesome, why all the hate? (And I do mean the people who buy it and still hate on it!)
    LOVE those mugs! However, the skull paintings above the bed…that’s creepy. :)

19. Daniel Naranjo says:

I am usually really annoyed by these sneak peak “look at me!” posts. They are usually completely unrealistic, but this one actually looked like people lived there, people that really do have good taste and a strong feel for what they like in their life. More people should post pictures of unmade beds and kitchens that actually get used.

20. Miriam says:

Does anyone know the name of her beautiful bicycle?

21. Michele says:

Hi, Love the colors. What kind of furniture is the blue drawers with the vinyl? What are the dimensions? Congratulations on the designs. M