sneak peek best of: pendant fixtures

I’m a firm believer in the power of a hanging overhead fixture to change a space. Even as a renter, I’ve called on electricians (or handy friends) to come over and help me swap out the standard rental fixtures for something with a little more pizzazz. It can be an intimating prospect, but once you’ve changed out an ugly overhead light for something you really love, you’ll be completely sold. If you’d like to see something with a bit more glitter, we’ve already rounded up the Best Of: Chandeliers, and if all these lighting options leave you inspired, you can check out the DIY Best Of: Lighting Projects. — Amy A.

Image above: A three-piece fixture from Habitat in the Paris home of Catherine Taret

Image above: This chandelier is designed and assembled by Workstead. The space functions as the office/dining room in their Brooklyn home. From Sneak Peek: Workstead

Image above: Office by day, dining room in the evening in this Charleston, South Carolina, home from Sneak Peek: Harper of Proud Mary

CLICK HERE for more pendant fixtures!

Image above: Maxine accessorized this bare lampshade frame with buttons, beads, short bits of ribbon, vintage keys and broken jewelry pieces; all the kinds of things you keep in a jar or drawer. From Sneak Peek: Maxine Sutton

Image above: The white dining room fixture complement’s Heather Hollern’s collection of white dishes. From Sneak Peek: Heather of Quince

Image above: The star pendant echoes the feel of the old Moroccan window in Rosetta Santucci’s studio just outside of Melbourne, Australia. From Sneak Peek: Rosetta Santucci

Image above: An Ikea lampshade makes a huge impact over the bed in Irina Graewe’s home in Hamburg, Germany. From Sneak Peek: Irina Graewe

Image above: Also from the home of Irina Graewe, DIY pendants (to make your own, see DIY Project: Filament Lights). From Sneak Peek: Irina Graewe

Image above: Jean Pelle’s bubble chandelier in her Brooklyn home. From Sneak Peek: Jean Pelle

Image above: The wood tone of the pendant in Kelly Moseley’s Austin, Texas, home complements her green dining room chairs — an Ikea find that she repainted. From Sneak Peek: Kelly Moseley

Image above: A retractable lamp from Amsterdam Modern. From Sneak Peek: Morgan Satterfield

Image above: The dining room light fixture in Nadja Lavin’s Cambridge, Massachusetts, home is one of her own designs. From Sneak Peek: Nadja Lavin

Image above: Max and Linda created a rosette to frame their ceiling pendant. From Sneak Peek: Max & Linda of Wallter

Image above: Dramatic pendant above the dining table in Dutch designer Yvette Laduck’s home. From Sneak Peek: Yvette Laduk

Image above: The shade for the dining room fixture in this Chicago home was from West Elm and was intended for a floor lamp, but they had it retrofitted to use above the table. From Sneak Peek: Betsy Maddox

Image above: From Sneak Peek: Supermarket Sarah

Image above: The bright fixture pops against the light blue wallpaper in this Santa Fe home. From Sneak Peek: Cara of Ore Studios

Image above: Stars light up this 13-foot-long farm table where Alyn holds everything from play reading to birthday parties. From Sneak Peek: Alyn Carlson & Paul Clancy

Image above: A large bubble fixture accentuates the fireplace. From Sneak Peek: Amy Allison of Soda

Image above: A dramatic pendant hangs over the bed. From Sneak Peek: Casey Green of Fossil

1. All are stunning. Love the last one with the floral motif.

2. Lisa Stewart says:

You’re in good company with despising overhead lighting. I’m always in search of transforming a space with pendant lights. They’re like jewelry for the room.

3. shelly says:

I want some of these rooms in my house!! Love it!

4. what a selection!! love the 2nd, 4th and last!! xx meenal

5. In 100% agreement with you! Lisa took the words right out of my brain, “they’re like jewelry for the room” ;)

6. Rebeccas DIY says:

Love it all! Absolutely stunning!

7. Rachael says:

I really love the green lamp with the floral print hiding on the inside of the shade – what a fun little surprise!

8. Lauren says:

Word to the wise – if you plan to change a fixture, changing a light to another light is easy-peasy. However, changing a CEILING FAN to a light fixture is a whole other story; we almost burned up our ceiling! We had to get an electrician’s advise. Just a warning to those who may be looking to do so!

9. Love so many of these lighting designs!

10. Lisa says:

Love the pendant look! Just transformed the whole feel of my house by swapping out old chandeliers with drum pendants! You can buy them for only $140.00 in 50+ fabrics, 10 different sizes at White Magdelena House (find them on facebook and see some photos).

11. no sputnik?? always my favorite, i have one in my office.

12. I love these options!

Thanks for the inspiring post!

13. These pendants are so beautiful and inspiring! 17th and Riggs offers a wide variety of modern and contemporary pendants and chandeliers. Check them out here:

They are also featured on our Facebook page:

14. meagan says:

oh i love. love love love this post. I never cared much for fancy pendant lights before but I find more and more I am drawn to them!!
    xo meagan, row house nest

15. Vanessa says:

i always loved the statement pieces, but now i’m more drawn to the barely there fixtures…

16. Kate says:

I love the Le Klint pendants. Definitely my next purchase:

17. Great selection of lights! I especially love the first one…three?

18. Melanie says:

I LOVE this piece. I love your site, it makes every day a great day.

19. There are some great fixtures in this post! It’s amazing how a beautiful pendant can add so much to a space.

20. hay says:

I adore pendants… I REALLY want a Le Klint 172, but alas I live in a rental. I think most all pendants have to be hard wired. Boo hoo. Thanks for the great post!

21. Jessica says:

I live in apartment and changing the ceiling light isn’t an option. I wonder if you have ever found and clever ways of disguising those “boob” ceiling light fixtures? Thank you so much!

22. What a great selection of lightning ideas. I’m very fond of the Yvette Laduck’s pillow-like lamp. I’ve seen a similar concept in a restaurant where the whole ceiling was covered with the same fluffy lights. It made the whole interior extremely comfy and soft.

23. I really love them all!!!
    Je les adore!!!
    Me encantan!!!

24. Divine says:

I’m particularly enamoured with hand-made ones such as Maxine’s with the buttons and ribbons. Gorgeous

25. Emma James says:

Very visually exciting, quirky and thought out