nogg hen house

Three years ago, when I talked my friend Barry Rice into putting a beehive on the roof of his Brooklyn brownstone (once illegal in NYC, It has since been legalized, thanks to Just Food!), it was only because I had given up on finding a way to keep chickens in Brooklyn. I had been tempted by this New York Times article about keeping chickens inside. Even city folk get desperate for some country living. So when my beekeeping partner sent me a link to this chic hen house, I got my hopes up that there might be fresh eggs in my future yet.

The Nogg is a modern chicken coop designed in the shape of an egg. It looks tiny, but it’s large enough to house two to four hens. The Nogg was created by furniture designer and engineer Matthew Hayward when he realized that his design-savvy friends couldn’t find a chicken coop to satisfy their homesteading needs. Each coop is crafted out of cedar wood because of its fresh scent and naturally antibacterial properties. Designed and made in the UK, the Nogg is available for shipping to the States, just email for pricing if you’re ready to start caring for your own flock. — Amy A.

1. Terry Golson says:

It is a beautiful construction but NOT a good henhouse! Really, it should be called a “covered nesting box.” A coop should have light (preferably some windows), roosts, and 4 square feet of floor space per chicken. The hens will be indoors during inclement weather. They should not have to be shoulder to shoulder in the dark of this pretty wooden egg. When a hen goes broody, she’ll sit on the nesting box 23 hours a day. Do you really want your hen to be in there all that time? In the summer it will be brutally hot. My site, http://www.chickenkeeping.com gives lots more info. Also, I blog about the lives of chickens, and you can watch my girls on the HenCam.(www.HenCam.com) so you can see how happy chickens live before you set up your own village hennery.

2. Monika says:

hahah, funny! what was first egg or the hen?

3. Katie says:

That’s incredible! `Chicken coop’ and `beautiful’ aren’t phrases one usually thinks of together. But I can imagine that my neighbours wouldn’t be too happy if there were suddenly chickens grazing in the common courtyard. Maybe I could appease them with fresh eggs…

4. Liz says:

I completely agree with Katie! Who knew us city folk could enjoy some country living in such a chic fashion!

5. Jasper says:

Adorable. Simple, clean, cute and functional. I have two chickens who roam the yard daily, only go in to lay and sleep, so I can see this working for chickens with ample freedom to be outside the nogg.

6. Jody says:

This is beautiful yard art, but as a coop, I agree with Terry. Chicken-keeping is trendy, and I keep seeing “designed” coops that don’t meet the needs of the chickens.

In addition to Terry’s points about the hens needing light, roosts and nest boxes, cedar is TOXIC to chickens! Plus, they need a protected run surrounding their coops. Even in an urban yard such as mine, my hens have been stalked by owls, hawks and raccoons.

There are great utilitarian coop designs on http://www.backyardchickens.com. Definitely check there if you’re interested.

7. Nicole says:

We’ve love our chickens in Bend, OR. There’s even a chicken coop tour on May 7! There really are gorgeous coops (also made with reclaimed materials) http://bendchickens.com/default.aspx

8. jing says:

I have been pining to raise chickens for years because I want fresh eggs, but I am just not ready time wise to commit to caring for chickens. then my good friend reminded me that I can get fresh eggs every week at my local farmers market, maybe you can too? better idea than having chickens living in your city apartment (really? just doesn’t seem clean) or on a roof top (REALLY??? just doesn’t seem safe).

9. Ooh my first thought was I wish my home was zoned for this. I’m happy to read Terry’s comment above though, as the chickens’ well being should definitely be the first concern when purchasing such an item. It sure is pretty a object though. Maybe this designer will come evolve to include the proper function with amazing design… that is the ideal right?

10. Biscuit says:

Ooh! The mister and I have decided to get chickens just as soon as we buy a house… I don’t think we could keep that coop inside– with our 3 cats, but I love the sleek style! It looks so classy and yet it’s still functional. I’m in love!!!

11. This is so adorable! My family had hens growing up and they are so fun to keep, what’s even better is that the eggs are delicious!

12. Katie says:

I just want to reiterate, since people wanting to keep chickens may not see the first one: Cedar oils are toxic to chickens. You never want to use cedar in chicken litter, and I doubt confining them in a cedar roost/nesting box would be wise either. I live in an urban area and keep 6 hens, but it is crucial that people learn about keeping poultry properly. Not doing so can result in dead birds and outbreaks of disease!

13. Katie says:

Also, to anyone considering keeping chickens inside, please be aware that chickens, (along with birds of all kinds, and bats) can spread histoplasmosis, a potentially dangerous respiratory infection. There will be a backlash against urban farming if people do not raise livestock responsibly!

14. Jasper says:

Just took a peek at that NYTimes article. What on earth? I’m glad it was only temporary but you can’t train a chicken to poop in a little box!

15. des says:

i agree with all the people above about all the facts about chicken husbandry, although this is a lovely and sleek design, can you imagine what it would be like to clean?

16. Katie says:

I knew I wanted chickens in my life…but this just seals the deal. What a darlin’ hen house!

17. Jasmine says:

I agree with all of the comments above… The egg is adorable, but totally doesn’t make sense for actually housing chickens. The 1st thing I thought was-
    ew, that would be awful to clean!

Did the person who designed this egg actually ever keep chickens?

18. Susana says:

the design is beautiful, it looks like something wonderful that came from the future, but, I do not know a thing about chickens in an urban setting and the beautiful wooden egg does look a bit claustrophobic

19. Chris says:

Beautiful design, but speaking as someone who has backyard chickens, this looks like an unwise functional design. Chickens poop anywhere and everywhere…a lot. I can’t imagine trying to clean this gorgeous work of art.

20. I’d keep chooks inside just to have one of these.

21. totally digging this clever design. rad.

22. Andrea says:

This is fantastic! I have always wanted chickens… largely because I wanted a coop with little wallpapered cubbies. But now I want this!

Andrea x

23. Yen says:

Out of curiosity, I found out the price. It’s 1625 pounds, or roughly $2,677 USD plus shipping. Yowza!

1. grace says:

yen

woah! where did you find the price? i couldn’t find it anywhere…

grace

24. Amber says:

I wish my chicken was so cosmopolitan. This thing is lovely.

25. edwina says:

this is the dumbest thing i’ve ever seen. completely impractical for its intended purpose. design at its most self-indulgent. give me a break!

26. Katherine says:

First: Nanu Nanu!
    Second: That is a beautiful creation, but won’t work for chickens. And definitely not indoors.

27. Breanne says:

As the comments above point out, this is definitely an ill-conceived design for a coop. I agree that the person designing this must have never kept chickens. No smart chicken owner would house their hens in a poorly-ventilated, difficult-to-clean, cedar coop!

28. esperanza says:

How do you collect the eggs from this contraption?

29. Fresh eggs are good and they are allowing small chicken houses in Vancouver I hear. This looks good but couldn’t they put a glass or fiberglass top on it or perhaps some windows for light? It didn’t say how big it was. Jean

30. Poochie says:

This is ridiculous. As someone who has two hens (rescues only!) this is too small and doesn’t deal with the most important concern – where do they go during the day. Chickens need room to roam and scratch and eat fresh greenery and bugs to be happy. This is horrid.