nightwood for terrain

Amy and I have been fans of Nightwood for a while and had such a great time watching them makeover Amy’s bedroom after her pipe bed finally gave in and broke. Nightwood’s founders, Nadia and Myriah, had a trunk show at last weekend’s “Brooklyn Day” at Terrain and I really enjoyed getting to see the pieces they’d created for Terrain’s collection. While I really love the sort of raw, natural feel to most of Nightwood’s work, it was great to see a slightly different, more “finished” feel to some of these pieces they created for Terrain (I really love the couch pictured below). The striped dining chairs (below) were particularly beautiful, but it was the tea-dyed wood (above) that really caught my eye.

I’d seen some of their tea-dyed pieces at their pop-up shop in downtown Brooklyn, but it was fantastic to see them in person again. I didn’t even know you could dye wood with tea, but Nadia and Myriah have done it in such a subtle way that highlights triangular patterns in the furniture. And because not everyone wants bold patterns in their woodworking, it’s really lovely to see this subdued alternative to paint/color that adds detail without distracting from the beauty of the wood.

You can view all of Nightwood’s furniture for Terrain right here, as well as their full collection on their site. You can also check out their D*S sneak peek right here and their bedroom makeover at Amy’s house.

1. homestiloThe says:

Neat- would really love to see how this process takes place…

2. Susan says:

Love their work!

3. Love the table. The soft goods look stylish, but I don’t think I could handle the “raw” look in my own home ;)

4. I LOVE letting the natural patina of the wood shine – its sophisticated and cozy at the same time- VERY cool technique

5. danielle says:

that table is gorgeous! i love the detailing.

6. Sharon says:

Great post. Loved seeing Amy’s makeover. I am going to the garage to rummage for wood scraps. Thanks for the inspiration…again:)

7. Shawna says:

Great subtle detail with a classic look.

8. lisa lou says:

I’d also love to learn how they dye wood with tea. I’ve been wanting to stain an old chair with a purple hue – maybe I could try it with some beet dye or something. I have no idea how to go about it, though. Tutorial!

(Super beautiful furniture, BTW)

9. georgia says:

Lovely color palette but I have to admit, I certainly would not want to pay those prices for poorly upholstered chairs-whether it’s a feature or not.

10. LOVE LOVE LOVE!! Vintages pieces add so much to a room. They can turn a ho-hum space into something that looks truly unique and lived in. I love these pieces!