living in: cat on a hot tin roof

by

The first time I saw Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, my jaw was on the floor. Liz Taylor and Paul Newman absolutely smolder, smoke and burst into flame as an unhappily married couple imprisoned by circumstance at the family’s Mississippi plantation. Tennessee Williams sets a stage like no other, and the movie adaptation of his play sweats with sloshy, southern privilege that grabs and doesn’t let go.

1. Pearl Clip-On Earrings, $24; 2. Antik Batik Bowie Dress, $326; 3. Mercury Glass Container, $70; 4. European Mirror, $249; 5. Baker’s Jar, $28; 6. Sloane Sofa, $3,600; 7. Wooden Crutches, $13; 8. Whiskey Set, $20; 9. Gold Leaf Sconce, $396

CLICK HERE for more stills and the second roundup after the jump!

Through a hazy bourbon hangover, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof plays the gracious southern hostess well. A big, beautiful plantation home gleams with wrap-around porches, trees drip with Spanish moss and well-manicured lawns host lantern-filled parties. For just a single night with Paul Newman, I’d gleefully endure the hangover, too.

1. Accordion Lantern, $4 for 6; 2. Wire Cupcake Stand, $34; 3. Monogrammed Tumblers, $68; 4. Living Spanish Moss, $3; 5. Banda Armchair, $298; 6. Cupcake Lip Balm Set, $8; 7. Birthday Candles, $3; 8. Gold Hurricane Candles, $300 for a set of 3; 9. Patent Leather Belt, $3.50; 10. Sugar Ice Cream Cones, $21

1. kim says:

Yay! Cat on a hot tin roof was the first Elizabeth Taylor movie I saw, and I was way impressed. Great setting, great acting, great movie.

2. Cher says:

LOOOOVE this movie!

3. Chrissy says:

I first watched it in high school, and immediately went about staging a scene for my drama class (starring me as Maggie of course)- I picked the cutest boy in the class to play Brick, who just happened to have broken his leg during a track meet. I wore a scanty negligie in front of God and everybody (I was an odd, dramatic kid). I was SO obsessed with this film!!
    My GOD Paul Newman in this movie – every single movement is like a prayer of sexiness. And it’s also my very favorite performance of Liz Taylor’s – she is the quentissential Maggie – her raw, barely tethered passion palpable. THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!!!!

4. Basht says:

Ohh I love this one! While this film wasn’t my first encounter with Liz (she is one of my favorite actresses) but it was my first with Paul Newman, and by god it started a love affair. :)

5. I’ve always wanted to watch this movie, just never had the opportunity – and after seeing these movie stills and great goody roundup I am definitely adding it to my queue!

6. Greta says:

Mind the living Spanish moss… if snagged fresh from trees (especially in Savannah) it’s likely to be populated with chiggers, little bugs that cause a nasty skin itch! I hear microwaving the stuff kills them off, but I’d be wary of bringing them into my home!

7. I am afraid I have not seen this film but the set design is beautiful.

8. Gabrielle says:

This is my all time favorite Liz Taylor movie. Until this post, I’d only really focused on the clothes (that waist-cinching white dress!! Those shoes!!) but thanks to you I’ve noticed how lovely the set was. That is, aside from the delicious natural flora.

9. Casey says:

HELLO, Paul Newman!
    I don’t know how I’ve never seen this movie, but it’s on my must-watch list now! Beautiful set décor.

10. Erminda says:

Tennessee Williams can tell a story like none other. If you haven’t seen the film then you should add it to your must sees. Paul & Liz do a wonderful job with it & you can just feel the emotions dripping in every scene.

11. Liz B says:

You saw this on TCM last week, didn’t you? :)

My favorite memory of this film was in college, in a theatre course, when we were comparing the original play with the film. We had all been silently drooling over Paul Newman until he took his shirt off and one girl stage-whispered “So hott!!!”

Forever ruined Paul Newman for me.

12. LOVED every moment of it; (the blog that is) Brilliant….showcasing CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF?

13. One of my all time favourites..recently i did a runway to room post ( using a movie still from ‘cat on a hot tin roof’ for inspiration) as a tribute to taylor..here’s the link (http://maisonmarigold.blogspot.com/search/label/cat%20on%20a%20hot%20tin%20roof)..I’d love you to check it out..have a lovely day..xx meenal

14. CarleyGeorged says:

I live for living in.
    you have no idea.
    this is beautiful.
    they always are.

15. Maria says:

I can’t get enough of this film. The writing and staging is so powerful, Tennessee Williams and the leads capture the tension of the guilt and power plays with extraordinary skill.

Brick: “What is the victory of a cat on a hot tin roof?”
    Maggie: “Just staying on it I guess.”

16. Elizabeth says:

I have never seen this movie, but after this “Living In” I am getting from Netflix for sure!

17. Miranda says:

thank you, thank you, thank you.
    i love this movie and not just because it taught me the word ‘mendacity’.

18. Sara says:

The white evening gown (not the day dress) is exactly what I want my wedding gown to look like. Edith Head was such a wonderful costume designer. With any luck ModCloth will start making something similar.

19. layne says:

Cry every single time I watch this movie. It’s my favorite film, hands down.

20. Shannon says:

Oh that dress in your first round-up! I need it. Love this film and the play. Thanks for showcasing it so nicely.

21. Danielle says:

I love that movie! The clothes, the set, those bratty kids! And I’d buy that dress if it would make me look half as amazing as Elizabeth Taylor!
    Thanks for sharing!

22. Natalie says:

Amy – Please do ‘Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice’ The 70s fashions and style in that film are divine!!

23. Pistachio says:

I love how you describe this movie. Well put! I love your round-up too!

24. I have always been in love with that white tea-length dress!

25. I love the movie and I love this post!! Great way to pay homage to such a fantastic film through design.

26. Lauren Hunziker says:

Hi Amy
    I’ve just watched ‘All That Heaven Allows’, with Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson, for my Genres in Film Class. The whole time all I could think about was what a great post it would make! I hope you’ll consider it.
    Such a fan. Keep it up!

27. Megan says:

Oh my word, how I adore this movie! This is where I first fell madly in love with Paul Newman. What a handsome, classy man to the end.

28. kimberly says:

oh to be 1958 again!!

29. Yep, this is the movie that made me fall for Paul.

30. I’ve never seen this movie… will be on my list of movies to watch now :)

31. Karen Longo says:

Is there anything in this world more beautiful than a young Paul Newman? Just, wow.

I can hear the cicadas and feel the humid, perfumed air when I watch this movie. You’ve captured it again wonderfully!

32. Diana says:

I watched this movie for the first time yesterday afternoon after seeing this post. It was WONDERFUL!

33. Monika Del Bosque says:

Tennessee Williams was a brilliant playwright. Not only was his dialogue excellent, he used his staging to heighten the tension between the characters to his benefit. This wasn’t lost in the film–the film was brilliant too.

34. Martha says:

Yes, Paul Newman is something to behold in “Cat”. But he is absolutely at his peak in every way in “Hud”. I still melt at very thought of this film!

35. Good God, Paul Newman. How can you even handle being that wickedly good looking? Must watch this again soon…. lovely roundup.

36. Sara says:

Please, please, puh-leese do a “Living in” for “Sex and the Single Girl.” I can’t get enough of Helen Gurley Brown’s office and apartment.

37. Josie says:

After reading this post and comments I watched Cat for the first time via netflix instant. Thanks! I loved it!

38. Jessica says:

Oh my gosh! So timely and I LOVE this! Great work, Amy! I would love to live instead Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Here is my take on it: http://www.hollywoodfashionvault.com/search/label/cat%20on%20a%20hot%20tin%20roof

39. Amanda says:

I love this post. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is one of my favorite movies. It is radiant with Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman. Classic. Thank you for the post.