jill bliss’ nature drawing: thursday

I woke up with about nine million butterflies in my stomach because this morning, Ryan is heading over to my house to start shooting the Design*Sponge At Home book trailer. Working on the book (I’ll be able to share the — seriously awesome — cover with you soon; the one on Amazon is just a placeholder) has been one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, and I’m hoping that this video will be a fun way to look back on the project and celebrate all that went into it. So while I get my game face on, I wanted to share another beautiful morning nature drawing from Jill Bliss.

Today, Jill is sharing this rosemary drawing inspired by a walk she took with a friend up Mt. Tabor yesterday. (After she finished the drawing, the rosemary became that night’s dinner, as part of a roasted-rosemary potato dish.)

You can still enter (through Friday) to win a copy of Jill’s Drawing Nature Journal by sharing your own nature drawing in the comment section of any of Jill’s posts this week. Click here for details. xo, grace

1. Simply stated + so soothing. A beautiful image to start a most exciting day for you!! Huge fun to you today Grace with your trailer shoot!

2. Nancy says:

I love Jill’s sketches this week. Can’t wait to see the book cover! I’m sure it’ll be amazing.

1. grace says:

hi nancy!

if you click the link to jill’s book you can see her book cover. we also ran it on monday :)

grace

3. Monique says:

Love the simple approach–and dazzling artwork. Just the kind of thing I’d need to keep up my own skills…

4. Heidi says:

I am soo loving this journal, these drawings, these ideas! Thanks, Jill!

5. Veronica says:

Rosemary is such a nice choice to start a day with, loved the sketch, can almost smell the aroma…though not an artist, I was thrilled with the idea of a possibility to get a copy of Jill’s book, here is my contribution of a spring bouquet of carnations and calla lilies which inspired me so much that I could not resist drawing it:))))

6. sallie kate says:

Our tastebuds were so delighted by the little pot of herbs in our home, I was inspired to feature it in my nature drawing :)

7. Lizet says:

Oh so nice to see some of Jill’s pretty drawings! I saw her in a fair in Chicago. Love her pretty stuff!

8. Katherine says:

After a long and difficult recovery from surgery, this week I was finally able to spend some time outside in the backyard. I feel so lucky that after emerging from my sickbed-cocoon, it’s springtime and everything is blooming! I sat and sketched an orange tree buzzing with bees and hummingbirds. Even though I always loved this tree for its sweet fruit and lovely scent, I had never spent time looking carefully at individual leaves, twigs, and buds. Having taken a few important things for granted (health, nature, spring!), it was wonderful to take the time to really see these tiny flowers. Thanks for inspiring me to get outside and draw!

9. Katherine says:

10. Patti says:

My artist statement begins: “I find comfort in the beauty and silence of nature….” And I appreciate your encouragement for all to get out there and sketch, not just “artists.” This is something I strive to do as well. I hope the Friday deadline did not mean midnight as I am posting now as the clock strikes 12 central time. peace.

11. Lina says:

Thanks Grace + Jill for the prompt to draw. It had been too long! I usually use oils, but it’s nice just to grab the first pen I saw and some paper and sketch out some daffodils, possibly the happiest flower known to man.

12. Jenna says:

Here’s a little green (in grey, since I had no colored pencils!) Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed drawing it!