hunt, gather and host: decorating easter eggs

Though we love the nostalgic, vinegary aroma of coloring eggs that always revives memories of Cadbury Egg-laden Easter baskets, Easter egg hunts in wet spring grass and stale, yellow marshmallow Peeps, we are always looking for new ways to adorn our eggs (check out last year’s Ukrainian egg DIY). This year, we skipped the dyes altogether and went for a three-dimensional collage approach using pins, papers, glitter, ribbon and tape. We invited friends to join us and set up color-themed stations in hues less traditional than the standard pastels: hot pink, navy, Kelly green, silver and black and white. Candy is essential to any Easter celebration, so we even included cups of colorful sugary treats in matching colors. — bbbcraft sisters

CLICK HERE for the full event ideas, decorating tips and a deviled egg recipe after the jump!

Our favorite techniques included

• Using thinly cut Japanese washi tape to make stripes and plaids
  • Stamping with rubber-stamp letters, numbers and punctuation (like the asterisk above!)
  • Sticking in different colored head pins to create a 3D polka dot effect
  • Using double-sided tape to create designs and hold glitter

We included all of the essentials on our craft table: glitter, glue, tape, X-Acto blades and Staedtler white erasers for anyone interested in carving custom stamps, plus ribbons, various papers for papier mâché, stamps and stamp pads, scissors and hole punches, and of course, empty blown-out eggs! Blowing out the eggs tends to be the tedious part of this activity, so we did that in advance for our guests and filled bowls with the eggs for the center of our craft table. (By the way, our favorite egg blower is the vacuum pump Blas-Fix. It works quickly and cleanly, and only leaves one hole in the egg.)

Instead of a traditional tree or branch, we used the metal armature of vintage lamp shades to hang our eggs. We love the way the egg shapes play against the wire lampshade forms.

Inspired by our vibrant color palette, we matched our snacks — simple finger foods for our egg-making craft party. Toast with smashed avocado spiced with salt and pepper and red chili flakes accompanied deviled eggs (see below for a yummy, mustardy, non-mayo version) and prosciutto-wrapped asparagus. We offered freshly made margaritas and sparkling juices to drink and an array of colorful fresh fruit.

Deviled Eggs

• 6 hard-boiled eggs, completely cooled
  • 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • dash of paprika
  • chopped fresh chives, for garnish

1. Shell the eggs, cut them in half lengthwise and carefully remove the yolks. Put the yolks in a bowl and mash them with a fork.

2. Add all the remaining ingredients (except the chives) to the yolks and mix well. Place a dollop of the yolk mixture into the indentation in each egg-white half, and garnish with chopped chives.

Hint: Cut your chives up with scissors instead of a knife. The process will go much more quickly!

Photography by Anna H. Blessing. Styling, crafting and food by bbbcraft.

1. Katie says:

These are beautiful and so so fun! But I was wondering…why do you blow out the eggs? When I was a kid, I think we just hardboiled them. Is there a reason for blowing them out?

2. LindseyBee says:

Now That looks like Fun!

3. Jessica says:

We love your blog, especially your before and after pictures! Check out your shout out on our blog

4. I absolutely love the lamp shade skeleton used to hang the eggs! How clever! I am always looking for clever ways to display my eggs and i can’t wait to try this!

I found this adorable vintage basket to display them…

And also this flower shaped votive candle holder with a little kraft paper grass displays the eggs beautifully:

5. Christina says:

Golly I want to throw a party so badly. This egg decorating array may be a little too elaborate for me to provide to my guests but it sure got me thinking! Also, I want those deviled eggs right MEOW.

6. Hagar says:

All looks so beautiful and tasty…
    great pictures!

7. oh my what a lovely, crafty party! love the use of the lampshades to hang the eggs and the metal stirrers in the drinks. must’ve been a great time :-)

8. Leah says:

if you blow the eggs out, you can keep them! my mom has some from when we was little. but we just used a pin to poke a hole in each end to blow the eggs out.

9. Oooh glittery eggs…what a grand idea. I am an addict of glitter and glitter glue…am off to blow out my eggs now and the house will be all sparkly before you know it. Thanks!!

10. The lampshade “tree” is just fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

11. A lot of wonderful, creative ideas to decorating Easter eggs with your children.

12. Shannon says:

Oh, those Easter eggs! They’re fabulous. Thanks for the great ideas.

13. nicole says:

I adore the hanging display of eggs. I am always looking for new ideas of things to do with my kids! Cute! Thanks

14. Hi! I included this post in this weeks from my reader round-up. Loved the post and thought it would be super useful to my friends and readers. I will definitely be using most of the info included in your post this weekend!

15. Esther says:

Omg thats so pretty! I don’t have washi tape, so I made my own using patterned paper or envelopes. (Getting ready for christmas~) :)
    Do you know that you can make firework patterns or layer them to make sillhouetes too?

Pictures and easy how-to here: