My soul is singing because of the spring weather! I am not a green thumb, but there is just something about the start of warm weather that drives me to the nursery for flower season. If you are going to plant flowers, you of course need some cool planting pots for your home and yard. I found these cool gem molds while browsing one of my favorite baking-supply websites, fancy flours, and came up with a fun way to make average terra-cotta pots a little more hip. — Halligan
Have a DIY project you’d like to share? Shoot me an email with your images right here! (Low res, under 500k per image, please.)
CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!
- X-Acto or kitchen knife
- baking sheet
- strong glue, such as E6000
- gem molds
- terra-cotta pots
- sculpey clay
1. Purchase your gem-shaped mold. I found mine at fancyflours.com. They have three to choose from!!
2. To make gems, squish the clay into your mold. I found it best to refrigerate the clay if I had been handling it. It makes your facets sharper, too! Take out clay mass and cut around desired shape.
3. Once you have your gems, bake them in the oven following the package’s instructions.
4. Lay out your gems in the desired pattern. This is the fun part; there is no right or wrong way to do it! After you have decided on your look, glue the gems onto the pot. Make sure to glue in sections so your gems don’t slide.
5. Plant your flower!