bicycle wine rack

For the bike-riding oenophile in your life, there can’t be a greater gift than this handmade leather wine holder. Sure, not everyone needs a special device to strap wine to their bike, but if you’re someone who enjoys wine (but not cars) and wants to bring a nice gift to a party this is a great way to do it. It’s also a great way to deal with the pesky clanking around that happens if you tote a glass bottle around in your basket- not a good idea. So if you’d like to pick up one of these leather and brass beauties for your next party-on-the-go, click here to take one home from Oopsmark on Etsy for $25. -grace

1. Jeremy says:

Ok seriously! All you safety conscious complainers go get some bubble wrap and wrap yourself and your whole life with it. This is an idea that obviously serves a purpose to anyone who actually gets a little enjoyment from life. While deffinately not necessary, neither are the air conditioned seats of your SUV. Looks great too, nice design. I’m sure the bottle is secure.

2. John says:

Can it be mounted on the Seat or Down Tube or just the Top Tube?

3. Craig Hondo says:

It seems there are two concerns from everyone reading this: first, they need a way to carry their wine around on their bicycle (a noble cause); second, they need to make sure that the wine bottle won’t break or otherwise encumber their riding (a noteworthy concern).

Perhaps both problems could be solved by using the front basket also attached to the bike.

4. Jesse says:

Here’s a video I put together to show the wine rack in action!

5. Luther Blissett says:

Hi Jesse, hi bike and design nuts,
    It’s nice to see the designer of that item getting involved in the discussion. I have to admit that I go with the people having safety concerns here. While I’d say that in case of a crash there is probably only little difference between the bottle being exposed and you being possibly slashed by glass shards or the bottle being inside a back pack or messenger bag and you being possibly pierced by glass shards (although the latter seems to be slightly less probable to me) I’d have something to add to the concerns already mentioned.
    1. Wear and tear. You yourself mention that the part holding the bottom of the bottle might be a little tight upon first use thus implying the material will give way over time. Hopefully not too much. What about the strap holding the bottle neck? Will the knob be sitting nice and firm in the strap after it has been used for some time? I also was wondering whether the leather would not get polished and thus made slippery by use, but your installation video shows that the leather is not directly touching the top tube. So I’m almost ready to believe that the two parts are kept from traveling apart. However a thin brass bar connecting the two knobs probably will not completely spoil the design but will completely keep the two parts together.
    2. What about continuous vibration? Won’t the bottle get rattled out of the holder? Your action video doesn’t show you actually riding across the bumpy lawn. That’s exactly what I’m wondering about. Ride across bumpy ground like lawn for long enough and the bottle will start swinging and eventually drop, won’t it? Especially when the two leather parts can move independently because they are not held together firmly by say a thin brass bar ;-) (or a leather strap that is running almost invisibly along the under side of the bottle).
    I also have to admit I somehow find the idea and design appealing – there’s a hipster in everyone of us, I guess ;-) , but the current design looks like a bomb dropper rather than a reliable holder to me…
    The comments here and elsewhere show that you already have succeeded in one thing – creating a design that strikes emotion – which is far more than many others can claim for themselves ;-). I would suggest making it look a little less intimidating by adding just a little something that holds both parts together.
    Just my 2 ct.

6. drew kora says:

The brand of wine in the photos is a Masi. Curiously enough, I the bike I ride is a Masi (http://www.masibikes.com/)

7. Jesse says:

Thanks everyone for your support of the Bicycle Wine Rack! Oopsmark is now being considered as one of the top new comers to the cycling industry world wide.

There’s still one day left to vote so please feel free to cast your vote.

8. Blair says:

I will be buying one, actually met some dudes in montreal who sell these, trust me this idea works. who cares if you can put a wine bottle in your backpack or handle bar basket. It’s something new and creative, and it looks cool so who cares.